RCCL in San Juan,PR

When RCCL will change Adventure of the Seas from San Juan and based new ship from San Juan?

I don't foresee this happening for some time, especially now that the Jewel and Adventure have or will be refurbished. I also don't think San Juan can draw enough passengers to fill a much bigger ship given the distance and airfare involved for most people.

If RCCL make a new route from San Juan,like Western Caribbean they will fill any big ship from San Juan. But they have the same routes since Adventure debut in 2001

You're more optimistic than I am.  The number of ships sailing from San Juan has dropped from years past, if memory serves, and the last time I sailed from there a good third of the ship were locals, suggesting that the ship was heavily discounted to fill the ship.

While the itineraries are better from San Juan and I love it as an embarkation port, I really feel the added distance and costs are a deterrent for many cruisers. 

Our family of 5 and extended family of 10 just sailed on the Adventure a week ago.  San Juan is great as always.  St. Martin is showing some wear.  Curacao and Bonaire were ok.  Aruba was great as always.  The ship needs its upcoming refurb... but it's still a great ship with a great layout.  The thing that sets it apart is the value.  $1480 pp.  5 cabins (3 balcony), all taxes, tips, air from Chicago and 1 night at the Sheraton Old San Juan.  Yeah it's a longer flight than Florida, but we didn't mind.

We were on the ship last year.  We went to St. Croix.  What an awesome place.

As someone mentioned, lots of people from Puerto Rico on the ship.

Our family of 5 and extended family of 10 just sailed on the Adventure a week ago. San Juan is great as always. St. Martin is showing some wear. Curacao and Bonaire were ok. Aruba was great as always. The ship needs its upcoming refurb... but it's still a great ship with a great layout. The thing that sets it apart is the value. $1480 pp. 5 cabins (3 balcony), all taxes, tips, air from Chicago and 1 night at the Sheraton Old San Juan. Yeah it's a longer flight than Florida, but we didn't mind.

We were on the ship last year. We went to St. Croix. What an awesome place.

As someone mentioned, lots of people from Puerto Rico on the ship.

Thank you for the good review. Im talking my husband on his first cruise in august and while id love to be going after the drydock, this worked out for us. Jane

We love Adventure and the southern routes offered from San juan. We most recently did barbados, st lucia, antigua, st martin, and St croix. With the exception of St maarten, I am not sure if the ports could handle a larger ship. Also, Part of our enjoyment with most of the southern ports is they don't have more than 2 or three ships at a time. I would be disappointed if you unleashed an O-Sized ship on some of these islands.

Hey Jane.  What ports are you going to?  What are you doing in San Juan?

With regard to the Adventure, I love that ship.  Perfect size and a great layout.  Yeah it's showing its age a little, but it's still great.  I hope you both have a great time.

Hey Jane. What ports are you going to? What are you doing in San Juan?

With regard to the Adventure, I love that ship. Perfect size and a great layout. Yeah it's showing its age a little, but it's still great. I hope you both have a great time.

I can't wait. I loved freedom and hoping i will like adventure. Our itinerary is, a little different from the norm...we are doing st thomas (going to st johns and trunk bay) and st kitts (debated on the train but decided it was just too expensive, so we will wander a bit and then just go back to the ship), aruba (beach day! ) and curacao (walking the historic downtown). We have 2 sea days since only 4 ports, which I'm very happy about! In san juan, we arrive at 330 on thursday, so will prob have some pool beach time, spend all next day in old san juan (we have never been to san juan) and them get to the boat early on saturday. So hoping my husband actually likes cruising! Jane

• 1 month later...

I can't wait. I loved freedom and hoping i will like adventure. Our itinerary is, a little different from the norm...we are doing st thomas (going to st johns and trunk bay) and st kitts (debated on the train but decided it was just too expensive, so we will wander a bit and then just go back to the ship), aruba (beach day! ) and curacao (walking the historic downtown). We have 2 sea days since only 4 ports, which I'm very happy about! In san juan, we arrive at 330 on thursday, so will prob have some pool beach time, spend all next day in old san juan (we have never been to san juan) and them get to the boat early on saturday. So hoping my husband actually likes cruising! Jane

I look forward to hearing about your trip - we have this same cruise booked for Jan of 2018. :)

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus loving the adventure. I'm a big fan of the port and itenerary. Lots of great islands, if anything I tend to warn people it can be very port intensive. We had 5 islands in 7 days, if you don't plan in rest you can get very exausted quick.

Also when it comes to flights. I leave from eastern Canada and flights to San Juan tend to be cheaper than most cities in the states, not sure why but it is very cheap for us to fly such a great distance.

Also hotels tend to be more affordable compared to most ports. Considering that it's cheaper for us to go through San Juan than it is Fort Lauderdale, or any other American city. Besides, you can't go wrong with the flavor of San Juan.

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus loving the adventure.

Same here (see my signature)!  We're sailing her again in November.  The hotel for 2 days and airfare = nearly the cost for my family of four in a balcony and an interior room (admittedly, we did "step up" and reserve a room at a nicer hotel in Old SJU).  I love San Juan and the southern Caribbean, but this is likely our last cruise from there until the kids get older or something lowers airfare costs. I just can't do that sort of expense anymore, sadly.

You will dock...probably at the Pan American pier which is across the channel from Old San Juan.  It's about a $15 cab ride to see a 500 year old walled city with two major forts.  If you have any sense of history and do your homework, you will find that place to be a treasure.

In my opinion, the best way to enter OSJ is to do so the way the sailors did for hundreds of years.  That is to walk around the wall on the south and enter the old city through the city gate.  It's straight up the street to the beautiful San Juan Cathedral.