Aft cabin questions

JDS11

Good morning!  We have an opportunity to be Aft on VOS for a Northern Euro cruise - specifically 9392.  Anyone have experience with Aft type cabins.  We've never had one - I'm more prone to being motion sick, but a take a Bonine nightly no matter how I'm feeling, just to be sure.  Are balconies bigger?  Is cabin any larger?  Still falls into the 4D category.  Will we smell smoke from the stacks?  Thoughts??  Thank you in advance!

I've never been in an aft balcony, although I really want to try! Looking at YouTube, I've been able to find many aft balcony tours, and they all look great!  Most of the balconies are larger and have more furniture than the standard.  I'd suggest searching YouTube for your cabin (or the ones nearby) for VOS and also for her sister ships.  I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Enjoy your cruise!

26 minutes ago, Sharla said:

Aft balconies are very cool- however one thing I noticed when I was in Alaska and Bermuda in aft cabins is that you do hear/feel more of the engines. We could definitely feel the rumblings!

Is that more noticeable on lower decks than higher? I'm in an aft balcony for my '22 Med sailing, on deck 8, so I'm hoping that's up high enough that the engine noise and any rumble transmitted through the structure won't be heard / felt.

Also curious about differences in the motion. I would assume that on a Mediterranean sailing (vs. Northern Europe like the OP), the ship is generally traveling more slowly anyway, plus that's a relative calm body of water. But is major motion still possible? I booked thinking it wouldn't be except in rare / extreme cases in that part of the world.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:40 AM, JLMoran said:

Is that more noticeable on lower decks than higher? I'm in an aft balcony for my '22 Med sailing, on deck 8, so I'm hoping that's up high enough that the engine noise and any rumble transmitted through the structure won't be heard / felt.

Also curious about differences in the motion. I would assume that on a Mediterranean sailing (vs. Northern Europe like the OP), the ship is generally traveling more slowly anyway, plus that's a relative calm body of water. But is major motion still possible? I booked thinking it wouldn't be except in rare / extreme cases in that part of the world.

I'm not sure- we were on Deck 7 on Explorer of the Seas and felt it. And Deck 6 on the Disney Magic and felt it. It wasn't bad enough to not do it again! Just it was noticeable. 

We had an aft on Grandeur and felt rumblings as well, but she's a pretty old ship.  We also had some black stuff from the smoke stacks to clean off every day.  Sometimes our cabin attendant would get to it before we did.  We noticed that we couldn't stay out there all day, as everything was damp in the morning so it had to dry.  

They are great for sea days, to just lay there on the balcony and stare at the wake.  Would do again.

My family sailed to the Caribbean from Port Canaveral in an AFT cabin on the Norwegian Epic.  Loved the larger balcony! We didn't have any problem with soot, or with motion of the ship.  We did notice the noise of the engines, however I felt it helped us sleep more soundly.  My husband is a white noise kinda guy at home we have fans and "sound machines". ?