Venice (Ravenna) Embark??

JennP

I’m so confused. Do we embark at Venice Port or Ravenna Port. When I look at a map those two ports are 2 hours away from each other. I’ve  heard the talk of no more cruise ships out of Venice Port but why would it still say Venice with Ravenna in brackets when they’re two different places. Any insight would be appreciated. Just want to go to the correct port!

Edited by JennP
Wrong spelling

1 hour ago, JennP said:

I’m so confused. Do we embark at Vienna Port or Ravenna Port. When I look at a map those two ports are 2 hours away from each other. I’ve  heard the talk of no more cruise ships out of Vienna Port but why would it still say Vienna with Ravenna in brackets when they’re two different places. Any insight would be appreciated. Just want to go to the correct port!

In the US, cruise lines refer to Port Canaveral as Orlando even though Orlando isn't even on the ocean (it's in the middle of Florida, ~2 hours from the coast).  However, most everyone knows where Orlando is located and the theme parks in Orlando are the biggest excursions from Port Canaveral so that's how they advertise it.

I imagine the same is true for Ravenna.  Non-Italians know where Vienna is located and that's where they'll go on excursions from Ravenna so that's how they advertise it.

58 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Non-Italians know where Vienna is located and that's where they'll go on excursions from Ravenna

Ravenna, Italy is an 8.5 hr drive to Vienna, Austria. I doubt it very much anyone will go on an excursion considering they will miss the boat leaving. Now, Ravenna, Italy is 2.5 hr drive to Venice, Italy.  ???????

1 hour ago, princevaliantus said:

Ravenna, Italy is an 8.5 hr drive to Vienna, Austria. I doubt it very much anyone will go on an excursion considering they will miss the boat leaving. Now, Ravenna, Italy is 2.5 hr drive to Venice, Italy.  ???????

Egads! I copied the error from the original poster without even thinking about it.  That's what I get for posting before my first cup of coffee!

18 hours ago, JennP said:

I’m so confused. Do we embark at Venice Port or Ravenna Port. When I look at a map those two ports are 2 hours away from each other. I’ve  heard the talk of no more cruise ships out of Venice Port but why would it still say Venice with Ravenna in brackets when they’re two different places. Any insight would be appreciated. Just want to go to the correct port!

Good Question.  I have a trip next year out of Venice.  I won't be happy if they dock in Ravenna, but my documents do say that.  Bummer

13 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Embark/disembark from Ravenna Port. Most liley, RCG will provide transportation to Venice.

Possibly.  But you sure have limited time to see Venice,  if you have to include about 6 hours just for transport.  I am doing a back-to-back out of

Ravenna.  So really on the cruise itself you do not go to actual Venice.  I will just plan more time, and stay in Venice before or after cruise for 3 nights.  I really love Venice.

4 minutes ago, Linda R said:

Possibly.  But you sure have limited time to see Venice,  if you have to include about 6 hours just for transport.  I am doing a back-to-back out of

Ravenna.  So really on the cruise itself you do not go to actual Venice.  I will just plan more time, and stay in Venice before or after cruise for 3 nights.  I really love Venice.

Plus this particular cruise is in 2022, and by then maybe Venice will allow some ships to dock there.  You never know?

2 hours ago, JennP said:

Fingers crossed, really wanted to see Venice!

Hi! Not sure if you have ever taken a train in Europe, but it's WAY easier than you might expect. If embarkation/disembarkation isn't in Venice, the train trip is about 4 hours and 20 Euro pp. I hope it all works out for you! Venice is on my bucket list too (especially since I had read how tourism in the city is changing)

Venice Tourism May Never Be the Same After Covid. That Might Be a Good Thing. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• 4 months later...

Not sure about the exact details but RC will be providing free shuttle service, at least this year from Marco Polo airport to and from Ravenna. We will be flying in 2 days early to take in Venice. To save time on the return flight, we are flying out of Bologna, which is only an hour drive from Ravenna. Price was about the same.

Happy Cruising!