Alaska 2021 - Maybe NOT a total loss? (topic edit as of 2021-05-21)

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Depressing, but we knew it was coming....

Agreed I knew it was coming, but I definitely did NOT think they'd ban an entire year at once.

I really can't believe they went to the length of cancelling 12 months at once. It seems extremely short sighted to assume vaccines will not have any effect between now and the summer or even fall. What's the harm in letting things go a few months?

I'd also point out the glaring double standard that international air travel remains allowed. Clearly that is how the virus moves around the world (i.e. the UK, South African, Brazillian variants).

It's sad and unfortunate.

27 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Man I hope these cruise lines start thinking outside the box on where they can start cruises other than USA and Canada!    If the new administration for the CDC wants to keeps kids home instead of going back to school, the cruise lines in my opinion have NO chance this year!  What a shame. 

My advice to all who own stocks in the cruise industry is to do your due diligence as I can't see cruises continue down a road with no income coming in for 2 years straight. Something is going to give and the massive charge to sell those stocks will start soon thereafter. I have followed all the speeches given by every CEO/Chairman/President and their wash-over videos and they are just repeating the same script over and over. I wonder would they take a salary cut, if asked to.

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

I really can't believe they went to the length of cancelling 12 months at once. It seems extremely short sighted to assume vaccines will not have any effect between now and the summer or even fall.

It's not really that far fetched to believe.  Canada has long maintained that they don't anticipate everyone who wants a vaccine to have one until end of September 2021 (at the earliest).  Seeing that our vaccination efforts are not going well at the moment, I am going to take a guess here and say that it will be later than September.  There is no way that Canada is going to want ship loads of people coming in without Canadians being vaccinated first.  They cannot take a chance like that.  Many of our hospital systems are already overwhelmed.  There is no cruising to Alaska or East coast in the winter, so February 2022 is not too far to believe.  Unfortunate but it is what it is....

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Agreed I knew it was coming, but I definitely did NOT think they'd ban an entire year at once.

I really can't believe they went to the length of cancelling 12 months at once. It seems extremely short sighted to assume vaccines will not have any effect between now and the summer or even fall. What's the harm in letting things go a few months?

I'd also point out the glaring double standard that international air travel remains allowed. Clearly that is how the virus moves around the world (i.e. the UK, South African, Brazillian variants).

It's sad and unfortunate.

It's Canada Matt...much different than the US. We are in lockdowns for a year now and i expect at least another 6 months of tight lock downs then at least another 6 mths or lighter restrictions. We can't visit family or friends, even if they are dying. I have to wear a mask in my car to get a coffee at the drive thru(as you can sit inside to eat or drink). Our vaccine roll-out is a disaster if you follow it at all. We change our rules and regulations around covid on a whim.

They are talking about 21 day quarantines now which will include contacts of the contacts ...noone is going go to be coming or leaving Canada in 2021.

26 minutes ago, Matt said:

It seems extremely short sighted to assume vaccines will not have any effect between now and the summer or even fall.

According to Richard Fain's graph in this story Royal Caribbean Group CEO: "we are approaching the point where we can run out the clock on this terrible disease." | Royal Caribbean Blog, COVID will have run its course by summer regardless of the vaccine.

22 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

We all have been beaten down with cancellation after cancellation of our beloved vacation on the high seas!  I am even starting to see and read right here on this blog people finally voicing their frustrations as well. 

I can assure you we are all frustrated!  Everybody has their own way of dealing with it. 

In my case, I booked a whole bunch of cruises in the hope that at least some of them will go.

It has to work out eventually, but it is very difficult to avoid being discouraged!

6 minutes ago, steverk said:

I can assure you we are all frustrated!  Everybody has their own way of dealing with it. 

In my case, I booked a whole bunch of cruises in the hope that at least some of them will go.

It has to work out eventually, but it is very difficult to avoid being discouraged!

When I sign into C&A, my goal is to always have at least 8 "Upcoming Cruises"  LOL

16 minutes ago, steverk said:

In my case, I booked a whole bunch of cruises in the hope that at least some of them will go

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Guilty as charged.  #DontDrinkWineBefore5pm

Also guilty as charged! lol  

That is my way of coping.  Book as many as I can and hop on the first one that I can lol.

My strategy changed a long time ago.  If I can't do a L&S, I reschedule cruises into the foreseeable future before the final payment date. 

When I can, I get a refund for a cruise ---  only then do I book another cruise.  Don't ask me why!! 

I have been juggling about five cruises.  If it goes bust ... I have tried to limit my losses.

Still looking forward to my Alaska 2022 cruise that was already L&S when Quantum cruises were cancelled.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Make that 3 of us.  ...but I think my strategy is changing.  I am not booking any more cruises...and I'm getting refunds for everything that gets cancelled from now on.  Really.   No, I mean REALLY.

You’ve been talking to @twangstertoo much lol. I seem to those words coming from him too a while ago. ?

We're not going to book anymore, either, for now.  I doubt the Norway GC will go, and I have doubts about my October Allure sailing.  I'm really hoping for next January's Odyssey sailing, because that's the one that we got the Owner's Suite for under $3700, and I'll never be able to afford one at a normal price.  At this point we're just putting money away for when we retire in 3 1/2 years and build our new house in Washington State.

15 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We're not going to book anymore, either, for now.  I doubt the Norway GC will go, and I have doubts about my October Allure sailing.  I'm really hoping for next January's Odyssey sailing, because that's the one that we got the Owner's Suite for under $3700, and I'll never be able to afford one at a normal price.  At this point we're just putting money away for when we retire in 3 1/2 years and build our new house in Washington State.

What date?  Sailing her myself in January of 2022, I hope.

You have to dig to find that information. Here in Canada cases numbers are  WAY down along with hospitalizations in thr past few weeks.

But the media keeps adding up all cases(not active cases) to make it seem much worse. Here in Canada, the government is showing no signs of acknowledging or changing anything yet.

The Variant is really been great here as it gives the media and government a whole nother scare tactic and justification to keep the lockdowns going strong.....as you can see by cancelling cruising for over a year from now.

Unless they know something we dont.....?

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I read this morning that the number of COVID cases has dropped 40% in one week in the US and 30% worldwide in the past 3 weeks.  Do you think you will hear that in the news ?  Nope.

I heard it on MPR. 

Many epidemiologists, while pleased with this, are concerned that the new variants will jack everything back up, so they are basically just holding their breaths.  They hope they are wrong, but the one I follow hasn't been wrong yet.  They're hoping we can get enough people vaccinated before the variants cause more problems.  It's a race.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we do and we can get things back to "normal".

In the U.S. 35.2 Million people have been vaccinated as of Feb. 4. That is starting to make a huge difference in the numbers.  And we continue to vaccinate between 1-1.5 Million people A DAY. Look it up CDC COVID Data Tracker

I don't watch the news normally and go straight to the source. Local news is all too happy to scare people half to death.

You will never see the number of people who have RECOVERED from Coronavirus reported on the news, as that doesn't fit their narrative.