Why can't they just do test cruises?

• Matt changed the title to Why can't they just do test cruises?
On 1/9/2021 at 11:01 AM, Davife said:

why royal carribean dont take 2 ship from miami with 1000 passenger each in a 3 days only sea day to test the new requirement

RC needs approval by the CDC to conduct test sailings.

As far as we know, that approval has not been granted yet.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

RC needs approval by the CDC to conduct test sailings.

As far as we know, that approval has not been granted yet.

Doubtful there will be any approvals until new CDC appointees are in place and have an opportunity to voice a position.  The career holdovers will just sit tight until then.  It will probably be 6 months before the new leadership will address (just a guess).

29 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Doubtful there will be any approvals until new CDC appointees are in place and have an opportunity to voice a position.  The career holdovers will just sit tight until then.  It will probably be 6 months before the new leadership will address (just a guess).

Unfortunately i think there is truth to this ... government efficiency at its finest.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:01 AM, Davife said:

Hi to everyone i was wondering why royal carribean dont take 2 ship from miami with 1000 passenger each in a 3 days only sea day to test the new requirement so we see the new measure and we give a point to it if cruise can restart in usa or not . 

Also, I do not believe the CDC has even sent them the information on what requirements are needed to do the mock cruise.  Or not all the requirements.  They are kind of stuck in limbo.

48 minutes ago, Linda R said:

Also, I do not believe the CDC has even sent them the information on what requirements are needed to do the mock cruise.  Or not all the requirements.  They are kind of stuck in limbo.

Read the below.  CDC issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwino8r935fuAhV1F1kFHYglAGgQFjABegQIAhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fquarantine%2Fpdf%2FCDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3D4rylidpZvPDwkmHz6fTH

5 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

5 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

I think I had previously read that.  My understanding is that is very vague.  And details were to follow.  Like who will be on overseeing this, which I understand will be a 3rd party.

That is who would oversee the events on mock cruise sailings, embarkation process, etc.  They need to do Covid testing at embarkation.  Also wasn't established age group of mock cruisers. I originally read it could not be a person over 65.  The cruise lines were also trying to figure out if they could sell anything on mock cruises to passengers or if it all would be complimentary.  Like drinks, specialty restaurants, etc.  

I do not think any of that has been established.   I also think all of the reguirements are changing all the time.   But I have no official information on the details.  My information comes from people in the business and I read too much on internet!

I really wish the mock cruises would get started, and then they can apply for the conditional sailing permit (which I understand that once applied for it takes 60 days  to get it approved and ready to sail).  Such a big mess.

I just had 2 more cruises cancelled today.   More FCC and more Lift and Shift.   2021 is turning out as bad as 2020 for cruising at this point.

Thanks for sending that article.  Have a good evening

11 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Good information, thank you

Seems like the outgoing administration twisted some arms at the CDC for the conditional framework, got distracted with other stuff we all know about, and now are almost out.  So, the CDC has had the benefit of slow rolling any follow up to the framework.  To be fair, they are dealing with a pandemic so are pretty busy, but it’s been apparent they would prefer that no cruises sail from the US for now  

Anyways, my opinion is that unless the incoming admin pushes them to get cruising going again and pursue the test cruises, we are waiting for the vaccine to be broadly administered before anything sails again. Throw in red tape time and we are looking at summer best case just for the initial cruises. 

I sincerely hope that the CDC is acting in good faith and all of the requirements will be forthcoming soon.  Unfortunately, I'm not confident.

As many have pointed out, the new administration throws in an additional variable that could gum up the whole works.

Still trying to remain optimistic, but it is getting tougher by the day! ?

8 minutes ago, steverk said:

I sincerely hope that the CDC is acting in good faith and all of the requirements will be forthcoming soon.  Unfortunately, I'm not confident.

As many have pointed out, the new administration throws in an additional variable that could gum up the whole works.

Still trying to remain optimistic, but it is getting tougher by the day! ?

3000 people a day in the US are dying.  Cruises are like #999 on the CDC's todo list

7700 ppl die each day in the US in "normal" conditions....we don't shut down for that......500/day die in car accidents..we dont shut down driving...

CDC should still be pro-actively trying to help and encourage things to open back up and get to normal and realizing that its going to take time to implement and make all the changes required etc.

42 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

7700 ppl die each day in the US in "normal" conditions....we don't shut down for that......500/day die in car accidents..we dont shut down driving...

CDC should still be pro-actively trying to help and encourage things to open back up and get to normal and realizing that its going to take time to implement and make all the changes required etc.

Not disagreeing with your statement about encouraging getting to a more normal general life, but the facts are what they are - deaths attributed to Covid-19 HAVE increased the mortality rate in the U.S.

Would some of those 3000 daily deaths have been included in the "normal" 7700? Almost certainly. Would most of them have been included? Absolutely not. 

5 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Excess mortality in the USA is running at 20% with the current restrictions in place. Yet Countries who have done well have a negative excess mortality due to low case numbers and restrictions but they are not shut down.

By the way 100 deaths per day due to car accidents is the factual Not made up number. Yes too many but that's why we have speed limit laws and seat belts and highway patrols. 

People can barely manage their behaviour and adhere to covid rules on flights and in airports (never mind grocery stores and malls) - doesn't seem like putting several hundred/thousand on a ship ... with booze... and sending them off to motor around the Caribbean is even on the horizon in the world of things the CDC is worried about.   

In fact it's about the opposite - here in BC the premier is looking at the legality of not allowing residents of other provinces into BC (the Charter won't allow such a prohibition on movement), so that tells us where we're at in terms of non-essential travel.  They don't even want us driving two hours from Vancouver to Whistler right now.

Maybe in a few months?   Hoping beyond hope our December cruise will sail.

The test cruises must be done according to strict CDC guide lines, the CDC has not published guide lines nor will it tell the cruise companies what they want them to do. 

Royal has asked to the CDC to send the requirements, but as of yet all they have heard is crickets!!!! The CDC does not want cruising to start yet so this is a way of stopping it with out saying so.  

On 1/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Hopefully that doesn't stick for too long.  Whistler is my back up plan if I can't sail in the summer.

Agreed!    We spend a lot of time up there in the summer and it’s amazing.   Feel free to hit me up if you need recco’s on activities and food ?

nothing like a glacier-fed lake to cool off in the middle of an epic bike ride!

C0FBBB5D-9074-45B8-9735-1B741B98F820.jpeg

On 1/16/2021 at 5:53 AM, DJsMrs said:

In fact it's about the opposite - here in BC the premier is looking at the legality of not allowing residents of other provinces into BC (the Charter won't allow such a prohibition on movement), so that tells us where we're at in terms of non-essential travel.  They don't even want us driving two hours from Vancouver to Whistler right now.

Maybe in a few months?   Hoping beyond hope our December cruise will sail.

Almost impossible to plan a non-cruise holiday here in Australia, as soon as a few cases (I'm talking about less than 5) of community spread are detected in one state all the other states close their borders to that state. Some unlucky people who are in airplanes at the time then get a nice surprise when they land and have to enter quarantine. I expect this to continue until the vaccine has been widely distributed. 

On new years day Victoria closed it's borders at midnight to New South Wales. There were 7 hour wait times at the border with Victorians trying to return home from NSW before it closed. If you didn't make the deadline you were turned away. I believe a few weeks later there were still some people that couldn't get home.