Magen's Bay- St thomas...

kittysoul

Matt said tonight that the best thing to do in St Thomas is to go to Magen's Bay.  When i look at the excursions in the cruise planner, they only have a couple options that go to Magen's bay, and both of them just stop there for like 2 hours and then move on.   We want to go there for most of the day.  Do most people just take a cab or shuttle over to Magen's bay? I think a guy in there mentioned a shuttle... is this something you can just get off the ship and find a shuttle or whatever in the port and go?

15 hours ago, kittysoul said:

Matt said tonight that the best thing to do in St Thomas is to go to Magen's Bay.  When i look at the excursions in the cruise planner, they only have a couple options that go to Magen's bay, and both of them just stop there for like 2 hours and then move on.   We want to go there for most of the day.  Do most people just take a cab or shuttle over to Magen's bay? I think a guy in there mentioned a shuttle... is this something you can just get off the ship and find a shuttle or whatever in the port and go?

Check out "Secret Sands Beach Getaway" in St. Thomas. We have done that one a couple of times and had a blast. Last time was 2018 and we had our grandkids along. Nice shallow sandbar about 50' of the beach loaded with tropical fish and small turtles. Nice young man has all the gear you need, sets up lounge chairs, offerors soda water, rum punch and beer. All he asks for is a reasonable tip before you leave. Great beach, clear water and a really clean bath house bathroom. Also check this review out: Secret Sands Beach Exclusive & Skyline Drive - Review of Lindqvist Beach, Smith Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands - Tripadvisor ?

On 1/6/2021 at 1:46 AM, kittysoul said:

The last time we were in St Thomas we did an excursion that included some sightseeing, shopping and then the 2 hours at Magen's Bay. Although this was our 3rd or 4th time to St Thomas it was the first time at Magen's. We really loved it and decided next time just to get a cab there and spend most of the day. There is a quieter part to the left as you face the sea and a busier part to the right where there is a bar and restaurant. 

Depending on the content of the excursions you're looking at, and more especially the order, if the beach is the last stop you would have the option of doing the excursion and then just telling the guide you'd be making your own way back.

Looking down on Magen's Bay during the excursion:

P_20191127_085153_p.thumb.jpg.73e87f9e3446ce546769f21b98343f64.jpg

The busy end of the beach (sorry it's hazy, got sunscreen on the lens!)

P_20191127_103630_p.thumb.jpg.4eaf80c4bd99c77fbfa1bbacc0343583.jpg

The quiet end of the beach (we saw a pair of herons diving into the water to catch fish at that end):

P_20191127_103930_p.thumb.jpg.0ca0cab8e7e157b8e7b14bcbb75b0e73.jpg

Have not been back since 2011 but, we just took a cab to Megan's Bay to be on our own time. They cattle you in pickup trucks charging for every passenger. I recall one time they wanted (probably did?) charge for a young child sitting on the fathers lap. 

We also enjoyed Sapphire Beach.

We also go to Bushwackers for a Bushwacker (and maybe food) located at Paradise Point. The views are awesome and the skyride is walking distance to Havensight. If you're sailing Oasis Class you'll need a cab as it's 2.5 miles away (according to Google Maps).

Edited by sk8erguy1978
add

On 1/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, FionaMG said:

The last time we were in St Thomas we did an excursion that included some sightseeing, shopping and then the 2 hours at Magen's Bay. Although this was our 3rd or 4th time to St Thomas it was the first time at Magen's. We really loved it and decided next time just to get a cab there and spend most of the day. There is a quieter part to the left as you face the sea and a busier part to the right where there is a bar and restaurant. 

Depending on the content of the excursions you're looking at, and more especially the order, if the beach is the last stop you would have the option of doing the excursion and then just telling the guide you'd be making your own way back.

Looking down on Magen's Bay during the excursion:

P_20191127_085153_p.thumb.jpg.73e87f9e3446ce546769f21b98343f64.jpg

The busy end of the beach (sorry it's hazy, got sunscreen on the lens!)

P_20191127_103630_p.thumb.jpg.4eaf80c4bd99c77fbfa1bbacc0343583.jpg

The quiet end of the beach (we saw a pair of herons diving into the water to catch fish at that end):

P_20191127_103930_p.thumb.jpg.0ca0cab8e7e157b8e7b14bcbb75b0e73.jpg

On 1/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, rjac said:

Thanks so much for the photos... looks so beautiful.. I can't wait!! 

On 1/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, rjac said:

Check out "Secret Sands Beach Getaway" in St. Thomas. We have done that one a couple of times and had a blast. Last time was 2018 and we had our grandkids along. Nice shallow sandbar about 50' of the beach loaded with tropical fish and small turtles. Nice young man has all the gear you need, sets up lounge chairs, offerors soda water, rum punch and beer. All he asks for is a reasonable tip before you leave. Great beach, clear water and a really clean bath house bathroom. Also check this review out: Secret Sands Beach Exclusive & Skyline Drive - Review of Lindqvist Beach, Smith Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands - Tripadvisor ?

oh that sounds amazing.. will have to check into it for sure! thanks a bunch!! ?

On 1/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, sk8erguy1978 said:

Have not been back since 2011 but, we just took a cab to Megan's Bay to be on our own time. They cattle you in pickup trucks charging for every passenger. I recall one time they wanted (probably did?) charge for a young child sitting on the fathers lap. 

We also enjoyed Sapphire Beach.

We also go to Bushwackers for a Bushwacker (and maybe food) located at Paradise Point. The views are awesome and the skyride is walking distance to Havensight. If you're sailing Oasis Class you'll need a cab as it's 2.5 miles away (according to Google Maps).

Bushwackers sounds like a fun place! ?  A skyride sounds awesome... will have to look into all of this too!  thanks so much!

Yes! It was super easy to grab an open-air taxi (aka, the back of a truck converted to have seats and a roof) over to Magens. At the port entrance it was $12-14 pp one way, but we walked about 5 min up the street to grab some liquor/juice at a grocery store first and grabbed a taxi in that parking lot for $10pp!

The same taxi you take over will make arrangements to pick you up whenever you like but we never saw a shortage of the same type of conveyance coming and going all day.

IMG_9884.thumb.jpeg.bc449c4608e251ce29d7607b203e22d7.jpeg

IMG_9891.thumb.jpeg.b46c0512bf3220e2e1b2ae7e2f0c5245.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I am also planning this port visit today and sticking with a ship excursion because who knows... I am currently looking at "Discover St Thomas and Magen's Bay" simply because I dont know where to start. So many excursions look amazing and we'd like to explore a little of the local culture as well as the beach, but am now considering the Secret Sands and Skyline Drive option instead.

I have nothing to value to add here, it's just nice to be planning cruise activities again ?

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is going to be whether we're allowed to go into port and grab a taxi.  We've been to St Thomas twice

and both times just grabbed an open air like DDaley shows ^.  It's easy and the good ones will stop on the side of the road to show

you interesting things (like bay trees (just smell the spaghetti)).

My guy Timothy up at Mountain Top:

April 2016 Timothy.jpg