Empress of the Seas Cancellations

Has anyone had any luck deal with Royal Caribbean after all of the Empress of the Seas cancellations?  We received a phone call 3 weeks before the cruise was supposed to leave telling us the cruise had been cancelled.  We were offered $100 in shipboard credit and airline change fees IF we rebooked on another Royal Caribbean WITHIN 24 HOURS.  It was as if WE had done something wrong!!!  Because our trip involved multiple plane flights and multiple people this was impossible.  We have taken many many RC cruises over the past 20 years and were, until this event, big fans.  Unfortunately, our complaints have fallen on deaf ears.  So at this point we have decided to move on to a new cruise line. 

We were double victims of Empress Gate.  We were cancelled in April and again in May.  So far, I have received reimbursement for our airline change fees from the April cancellation but not for May yet.  I have Michelle checking for me every now and then.  Not sure when/if we will ever get that last $400.

Some very cheap deals right now for Empress in August. Maybe lack of demand or bad reviews or just the season?

Either way they are good prices right now.

I think the issues is they don't sail to anywhere interesting.  Key West and Cayman Islands?  Yawn.  If I can drive to half the ports on the itinerary, I'm not interested. They promised overnights in Cozumel - if they came through on that, I'd book in an instant.  But instead they seem to be waiting on Cuba, which is no where near ready to have American cruise lines stop there. 

I was on a cancelled May Empress cruise. The cruise was cancelled about two weeks before I was to sail.  I had my TA working on all of the refunds. I was offered another Empress cruise, NO WAY, or book another at today's prices, NO WAY, so my TA asked if they would put all the money I paid on another booked RCCL cruise I had to Alaska. They were more than happy to do that and now my Alaskan cruise is paid for. I had a hard time getting my $200 airline change fee. I waited 8 weeks and had my TA call them. RCCL immediately refunded it back to my credit card I had used to book the cruise. I didn't like that but it was either wait another couple of weeks for a check or refund immediately to my card, so I took the card refund.

This is the third time I have had a cruise cancelled, two NCL and one RCCL, I hope it never happens again.

We were cancelled on once, the May 23rd.  Though it took some aggravation and lots of time on hold we did manage to get it all resolved.  Ive mentioned before that due to not being able to reschedule our time off work and flights we did make last minute arrangements on a Carnival ship for the same dates.  We also managed to get our $200 next cruise money refunded at a later date.  All of it took quite a bit of phone tree climbing and having to ask for managers/supervisors and just being persistent in the nicest manner we could muster but yea.  We were offered a 4 night cruise in place of our 5 night cruise originally booked but declined the offer at the time and opted to get our money refunded.

Our first time on Carnival was....eh.   We were on Sensation which is quite a worn out ship in dire need of renovation but then again it was better than a week at work and got the job done.   Having been on 10 or so RC cruises in the past I guess we are used to the brand and I'm sure some of the newer/larger carnival ships are just fine.  The funny thing was when we got back to Port of Miaimi Empress was sitting there docked for its first initial cruise which from what Ive read was quite troublesome.

We needed to use our next cruise credit before next year so we are booked on another RC cruise in a few months.  Despite the aggravation and getting cancelled from our May Empress sailing I would say I will be happy to be back to RC.