What is something you'll never do again on a cruise?

Matt

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Some of the Voyager class are popular charter ships in the winter after Xmas.  There is a car dealership that offers a free cruise with a car purchase and a few other companies that like the Voyager class to charter.  Smaller, cheaper, easier to fill, amplified, cheaper in winter, etc.  

Charters are a definite down side to Royal.  I've had a number of charter takeovers and it does completely mess up plans including the January 2022 Oasis date.  I'm secretly hoping that masks are still required just to mess this charter up.  ? 

@twangster and @WAAAYTOOO

Need to know more about the charter boats, is it like the huge groups at Disney with their little flag.  Hundreds of people following them, it's like a tornado coming thru.

What a silly question.  There is absolutely nothing about cruising that I would not do again.  everything about it is perfect ...

Ooooops, @JLMoran and @Ogilthorpe reminded me.  NO WAY I would ever see these shows again:

1. The Gift

2. The Gift

3. The Gift

My brain still hurts,

Curt from Canada

10 minutes ago, MicDay said:

@twangster and @WAAAYTOOO

Need to know more about the charter boats, is it like the huge groups at Disney with their little flag.  Hundreds of people following them, it's like a tornado coming thru.

Not sure what you're referring to, but the one I'm discussing is a full ship's charter meaning they reserved the entire ship.  Everyone with reservations already was cancelled.  There ARE partial ship charters where a big group will come on board but has not chartered the entire ship.  Sometimes when there is a partial ship charter some of the public areas will be reserved during certain time periods for events for the charter but it's usually only for a short time.  I've been lucky.  I have never had a partial ship charter cause any inconveniences for me.  I have heard of some who encounter partial ship charters who are seriously inconvenienced but I think this is rare.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I was on Majesty with a dentist convention as a partial ship charter.  No impact really.  They used the theater during the day.  The only tell tale sign were people walking around with name badges on and corny dentist jokes being lobbed around at the Schooner Bar. 

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not sure what you're referring to, but the one I'm discussing is a full ship's charter meaning they reserved the entire ship.  Everyone with reservations already was cancelled.  There ARE partial ship charters where a big group will come on board but has not chartered the entire ship.  Sometimes when there is a partial ship charter some of the public areas will be reserved during certain time periods for events for the charter but it's usually only for a short time.  I've been lucky.  I have never had a partial ship charter cause any inconveniences for me.  I have heard of some who encounter partial ship charters who are seriously inconvenienced but I think this is rare.

Thanks, I did not know that existed!  

I learn something every time I log on.

18 hours ago, twangster said:

Fall asleep in the sun.  

I haven't done this on a ship but I see people doing it and that sunburn before formal night makes getting dressed up a b^%$#!

Lobster anyone?

As an Irish descent, red haired, white freckled skin person I'll say, I apply sunscreen every 15 to 30 seconds. LOL... Sunburn is no joke!

I burn easily and fast.

I coined a term... GPS: ginger protection spray. I'll never use less than 30 SPF and I'm always buying more before every trip LOL.

I also coined the stages of "tanning": white, red, peel, white.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Add/typo

Bingo. 

My partner and I play regularly at home, but Royal's version we found to be a waste of time, and very expensive.

Four games in an hour, so your chances of actually winning a prize are minimal. Granted, the prizes are decent, but we're used to a game taking about 3 minutes, not 15, so were expecting about 15 games in the hour.

17 hours ago, coneyraven said:

We will never get off the ship with all of our luggage WITHOUT getting a porter again.  What a nightmare lugging it all through customs.  Then, in 2019, in Tampa, we used a Porter.  SMARTEST MOVE WE EVER MADE!!!  They knew the "ins and outs" of the port to get us through customs in record time.  We almost felt guilty the way we passed everyone in line.  Needless to say, we tipped well.  From that moment going forward, THIS is the method we use.  Porters are the Rockstars of the ports.

how do find one? are they just outside the ship? new to RCL,sorry if this is a dumb question lol

5 hours ago, luckypepper2 said:

how do find one? are they just outside the ship? new to RCL,sorry if this is a dumb question lol

Not a dumb question at all .... I would think it's different in every port as to where they're located.... but suffice it to say, they're very close to when you get off the gangway.  In the case of Tampa, we took the elevator down once we were off the ship, and they were waiting for potential customers.  In Baltimore, they're at the bottom of the gangway.  Needless to say, they won't be tough to find regardless of the port.

1. Get off the ship in Nassau

2. Getting hounded into letting those nice ladies braid both my daughters hair at $2 a braid and they both have my thick Italian hair ??‍♀️

3. Not get the drink package. Our first ever cruise was Disney and I was so stressed about the drink prices. Second was RCL with the drink package and it was so much more relaxed. I’m not a huge drinker, but being able to have the few drinks I do want, and the specialty coffees made it a no brainer. The On the Go drink in the Bamboo Room is fantastic! 

4. Not pay gratuities in advance. Also another stress factor removed. 

We rented snorkeling equipment, but thinking of investing. We relocated from CO to FL in June 2020, and I’m thrilled to be close to port, if we ever get back to cruising, seems like it’s been forever and we went on the March 2-6, 2020 Mariner. 

9 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

As an Irish decent, red haired, white freckled skin person I'll say, I apply sunscreen every 15 to 30 seconds. LOL... Sunburn is no joke!

I burn easily and fast.

I coined a term... GPS: ginger protection spray. I'll never use less than 30 SPF and I'm always buying more before every trip LOL.

I also coined the stages of "tanning": white, red, peel, white.

I am very familiar with this problem....

1 hour ago, Beth Davis said:

1. Get off the ship in Nassau

I always wonder why people have such disdain for Nassau.....

I mean its one thing to stay on the ship cause you have so many fun activities planned, its pouring rain etc.....but to simply refuse to get off the ship because its "Nassau" has always bewildered me....

I have enjoyed Nassau all 10x or so I have been there!

47 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I mean its one thing to stay on the ship cause you have so many fun activities planned, its pouring rain etc.....but to simply refuse to get off the ship because its "Nassau" has always bewildered me....

For me it was an experience in the 90s where the setup is different than now.  Back then getting off the ship required walking through a gauntlet that makes the Labadee market seem tame.  A couple trips like that were enough so I avoided cruises that included a stop in Nassau for years.  

Years later I found myself in Nassau and it was better but it took me a long time to get over that initial experience.

Well I get that...I don't venture past the first shop at the Labadee market and i only go that close cause she wants to "look around and shop"...lol

I only started cruising in 2013...so it hasn't been that bad at Nassau...still have to say NO a few times, but I can handle 30 seconds or so of that to get out and do my own thing.

I will never tip the cabana attendant in advance again.  We were on Labadee in a cabana a few years ago.  We thought it would be easier to tip the attendant up front in case we got busy and forgot later or decided to leave and couldn't find him.  We gave him $20 at the beginning of the day and never saw him again.  Won't make that mistake again !

On 1/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, Matt said:

What is something you've done or tried on a Royal Caribbean cruise that you'll never do again?

An activity/strategy/plan/tour that you now realize after doing it was a mistake.

The zipline on board the ship.  As much as I enjoy zip lining, they way you stop yourself is by slamming into a concrete wall. Thankfully, (I suppose) I did it on my last day on the ship.  I spent the next two days in a wheelchair because of knee damage. Won't do that again! 

54 minutes ago, twangster said:

For me it was an experience in the 90s where the setup is different than now.  Back then getting off the ship required walking through a gauntlet that makes the Labadee market seem tame

My first wife and I were there in 1995 (Nassau).  It was fun for me at the time, however I was not long out of the Marine Corps, during which time I had been able to experience some of the more....interesting....parts of the world.  I'm older and a tiny bit wiser now.  

1. Sail out of Baltimore in January. Rough seas in the western Atlantic that time of year and too cool for the first two days. (Unfortunately, It only got up to 70 & cloudy in Nassau)

2. If Possible, not go to Nassau again. (just stay on board if we do end up there)

3. Dragon's Breath Flight Line in Ladadee. Too much money for a SHORT experience.

4. Never done this, but, be a volunteer for The Quest. ? 

As has been said, we found the Escape Room underwhelming.

We also found the Specialty Dining over-rated; if it's free, we do it (coupon).  Otherwise, we actually prefer the MDR as we get to know other cruisers.

Finally, I'll never order a birthday cake or strawberries  --   in our experience, the food doesn't arrive on the date scheduled, which ruins the "surprise".

Get a bamboo massage the first day (or another massage period). The massage was awful, the hard sell unacceptable and I hurt for the next four days and was miserable.

Ditto on the pre-ordering a "surprise" for the wife. The flowers did not arrive until the second day after I told her the first day that she was getting some.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:34 AM, monctonguy said:

I can’t find a single redeeming thing about Nassau. I find it to be a garbage dump personally w/ pushy locals and not much to see or do (safely). For us, Nassau, Falmouth & Honduras are days to enjoy an empty ship. 

58 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I can’t find a single redeeming thing about Nassau. I find it to be a garbage dump personally w/ pushy locals and not much to see or do (safely). For us, Nassau, Falmouth & Honduras are days to enjoy an empty ship. 

Nassau is a fun port with lots of things to keep you entertain for the entire time the ship is in port and I've never felt my safety or my husbands safety was threaten in Nassau. We always create our own shore excursions when in Nassau.

If your judgement of Honduras is based simply from the location of the port then you haven't seen what Honduras has to offer.  I will say Honduras needs to do a better job of securing the port and street and shop outside the port. A lady did try to pick pocket but me and my husband but because we were attentive she couldn't get us.  Having said that Honduras does have some beautiful beaches also there are a few island you can visit by just taking a short boat ride.

Jamaica is one of those islands that I just love, I love the people, the culture, the food, I've never felt  like my safety or the safety of my husband was in jeopardy.  Most times when we visit Jamaica we again we never book an excursion through Royal we always book our own or just do own thing. 

Hopefully you will give these islands another try.

Running to the MDR right when we get onboard to book all of our specialty meals with the UDP ? 

One day I will not be so OCD or such a worry wart about not getting what I want (that's one of the BEST BENEFITS of getting the UDP). We spent a good hour right when we got onboard to make sure we got all of our dining reservations sorted for the week... Not only did I not realize there are multiple places to make those reservations, but I also forgot that cruising is a fluid vacation... not a static one! Everything ended up changing after plans messed up our first nights' reservation! And we have never had any problems making a dining reservation for specialty dining. Maybe our preferred choice wasn't available when we wanted it, but we have always been able to make it work.

UDP/UBP = Stress LESS Drink MORE!

alcohol booze GIF

15 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Nassau is a fun port with lots of things to keep you entertain for the entire time the ship is in port and I've never felt my safety or my husbands safety was threaten in Nassau. We always create our own shore excursions when in Nassau.

If your judgement of Honduras is based simply from the location of the port then you haven't seen what Honduras has to offer.  I will say Honduras needs to do a better job of securing the port and street and shop outside the port. A lady did try to pick pocket but me and my husband but because we were attentive she couldn't get us.  Having said that Honduras does have some beautiful beaches also there are a few island you can visit by just taking a short boat ride.

Jamaica is one of those islands that I just love, I love the people, the culture, the food, I've never felt  like my safety or the safety of my husband was in jeopardy.  Most times when we visit Jamaica we again we never book an excursion through Royal we always book our own or just do own thing. 

Hopefully you will give these islands another try.

My opinion is based on being at each of the above referenced ports more then 20 times each. I agree Jamaica is a beautiful island but I find the locals to be even more pushy (regarding tips and money) then the locals in Nassau. I’ve tried just about every option in Nassau and British Colonial Hilton beach day is about all we find even “decent”. With that being said, we travel to the Bahamas all the time (on my boat) since it’s only 45 miles East of my home in Fort Lauderdale and the smaller islands (Bimini) are an entire different world from Nassau. My overall view of Nassau is jaded by what I know to be the real Bahamas. I find Nassau to be dirty and if you read the SD website you will notice it can also be a dangerous place for a wandering tourist. As far as Honduras, that’s gonna be a 100% “no go” since I have young children. I’ve witnessed drug deals, robberies and very pushy & demanding locals outside the port area which I am not taking chances with. I have seen the beach’s (they are just ok) , done the excursions and at this point in my life our time is better spent (and safer) on the ship. 

22 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I'd much rather get off at Nassau walk up to the fort ASAP when you dock, and walk back to the ship. Great exercise and globally poorly behaved people sleep in. It beats the walking track on ship by a country mile. ? If you need another reason, for any of us that can afford cruising, it is import to have a safe street level view of life that is commonplace throughout the world and in much of urban/rural America.  Please don't take this as a political judgement, as almost any post today could be viewed, I respect that many folks on vacation want to be on vacation. This is just another viewpoint on Nassau.