Would you recommend the floating cabanas on Cococay?

DjChefSteve

We are sailing in March 2022 for my older brothers birthday and was thinking about getting him the floating Cabana. We have already done the waterpark so this stay at cococay would be more of a chill on the beach/cabana and a relaxing day! What is everyone's experience with the cabana and why did you like it or why did you not! Thank you all!!

Something to consider...  Will the weather be warm enough to really enjoy the floating cabanas - considering the price ?  For me, it is still waaaytooo cold Jan - Mar to swim.  While the floating cabanas would be a very nice place to spend some time, I don't feel like I would get the true benefit of it b/c I would not be able to get into the water at all.  I originally had a cabana booked in Jan 2022 (had gotten a good price, considering...) but then decided that it would just be too cold to fully enjoy it so I cancelled.  I have rebooked for a Sept. 2021 Mariner cruise.  Of course, with Sept. there is always the hurricane problem, but at least, if we manage to avoid a hurricane, I think it will still be warm enough to swim.  If your brother is hearty enough to swim in the cold weather (I see you are from CT...maybe it will be nice and warm to you !!) and the price is right, it would be a lovely gift.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 10:20 AM, PaulRC said:

The floating cabanas look great but the price tag $1600 is just waaaaay to much for me!

I was looking at them and I thought the price was a bit much.  But then it seems that price is per person which is completely out of line.  That could make the cost of the cabana for the day higher than the cost of the cruise itself.  Is it supposed to be $1600 total instead of per person?  It comes up as a per person price when checking it on the RC website.  Right now the planner is showing me $3398 for two people which is so bad that it is almost comical. If anyone has feedback, it would be appreciated.

24 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I was looking at them and I thought the price was a bit much.  But then it seems that price is per person which is completely out of line.  That could make the cost of the cabana for the day higher than the cost of the cruise itself.  Is it supposed to be $1600 total instead of per person?  It comes up as a per person price when checking it on the RC website.  Right now the planner is showing me $3398 for two people which is so bad that it is almost comical. If anyone has feedback, it would be appreciated.

The price is not per person.  You just reserve the cabana in one person’s name and up to 6 (or 8, depending on which cabana type it is) people can use it.

8 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The price is not per person.  You just reserve the cabana in one person’s name and up to 6 (or 8, depending on which cabana type it is) people can use it.

Good to know.  Huge difference there ? Seems like something RC really needs to fix on their website.  So if you are traveling in a small group, this could be something good to get.

On 1/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, Jonesy said:

Good to know.  Huge difference there ? Seems like something RC really needs to fix on their website.  So if you are traveling in a small group, this could be something good to get.

I would consider the temperature. We have an NYE 2021/2022 cruise and decided against cabanas since we figured it would be too cold to enjoy. So, instead we went with Beach Club access instead. So, if it is too windy/cold/rainy we haven't blown $1600+ dollars. Were we going during the summer, you bet we'd get an OTW cabana.

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

I would consider the temperature. We have an NYE 2021/2022 cruise and decided against cabanas since we figured it would be too cold to enjoy. So, instead we went with Beach Club access instead. So, if it is too windy/cold/rainy we haven't blown $1600+ dollars. Were we going during the summer, you bet we'd get an OTW cabana.

I appreciate the feedback.  I am a more cold natured person so this shouldn't be much of an issue.  I'm the crazy guy that wears shorts when it is 50 degrees ?   I checked the water temperatures, and the average water temp for Cococay in December is 77.5.  The average ideal pool temperatures is 78-82 degrees.  When I was younger, I was crazy.  I went for a swim in our new pool the day it was filled.  That was rough but I just had to do it.

I've been to Coco Cay a 3 times now in February and had no issues swimming and the water temperature. Our last two times we had a chill island cabana and loved the experience. We have a floating cabana booked for our cruise in Feb '22. We were able to snag it for lower than the 1600 in the cruise planner now so that made it easier. My wife is a big fan of the cabanas for the "home base" idea and having nice area to ourselves. We are looking forward to the floating ones as well as the beach club area with the expanded menu options. We feel that the experience of the cabanas are worth the cost for the most part. To be honest we wouldn't have booked a floating one at 1600 and would have either done the beach cabana in the beach club or chill island again. Now if you have a large group of people to spread the cost out that could make the cost easier to swallow. Since it the wife and I and our two young kids, there is no sharing the cost and that plays a part in our decision process.

YouWe too have been to Coco Day 3 times. (Nov, May and July).  We have done no upgrade...I.e grab a lounger.  We have done beach bed and we have done cabana (Chill island).  Personally for me if it was just 2 of us I would grab the Coco Cay beach pass (we did that for our last cruise before we did the lift and shift....it was @49. Per person).  Granted we would not have that cabana experience, but since they only limit to 225 or so people, we didn't feel the need for the 2 of us to go nuts and worry about finding lounge chairs.   We want the food they offer.   Hubby is a beach person, I am a pool person, thus, this is the best of both worlds.

You need to realize that Coco Cay gets a GOOD breeze.  When we sailed 1st week of Nov.  I didn't take off my sweater until 11.  I didn't get into the water unti!l 1.  We lived in Anchorage Alaska for 3+ yrs.  I started wearing shorts by April, so I am not someone that shivers.  However, I will say when it is 78 degrees with a strong breeze, I'm not getting in the water. I'm willing to spend the beach pass, or on a beach bed.  

@Jonesy if you look on the planner it does say when you check out that it is not per person, but per cabana.  This is also true if you do a couples spa on the ship.

You place your name/reservation in.  It will up under your reservation on your planner.  The night prior to docking at Coco Cay they will drop off your directions/guidance.  When you get there they will have an attendant.  This is when if you have a cabana they will ask for everyone's name to be listed for your cabana.  it is when they will give you the wristband for entry.  You can't enter the area without the wristband.  

I love cabanas, but for me unless you have that discretionary funds, for 2 people I can't see 1600.  I would do Chill 1st at much lower price if I really wanted a cabana.  Than again we are doing the Beach Club day pass over a cabana/bed bc I am cheap and want exclusivity and the dining experience.  150 for 2 people...I have no problem looking for a lounge chair. 

Think about it, the day pass is probably the best bang for your buck excursion wise.  My cruise we will be there 7 hrs.  75 bucks.  In essences, $10 an HR.