NCL Extends Suspension To ALL Ships In Fleet!

Hhhhmmmmm...... wonder how Europe will be handled in April

-------------------

TRAVEL ALERTUpdated: December 29, 2020 - Suspended Cruises

On October 30, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order, a roadmap for the steps the CDC will require for resumption of cruise voyages in the U.S. We will closely review the order and continue to partner with global and domestic authorities, including the CDC, to chart a path forward.

We have extended our voluntary temporary suspension of ALL voyages through March 2021. Previously, we had announced the suspension of cruises on all ships except Norwegian Encore, Norwegian Escape, and Norwegian Joy. Today, we have added those three ships to the list of cruises suspended through March 2021.

We are committed to taking all appropriate steps and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19 and are working closely and in partnership with local, state, federal and global agencies. While this may result in additional future changes, please know our teams are working around the clock to do what is right by our guests and travel partners. We continue to monitor this situation closely and will provide additional updates as they are available.

4 hours ago, PaulRC said:

Does NCL cruise out of Charleston?  I am not a big fan of Carnival and wish RC sailed from there.

The tugboats are the only line that debark from Charleston.  

Occasionally, we'll get a visit stop from other lines, but usually all we see is that dumb fantail. 

Oh man, if RC left from Charleston, I'd be a pauper.

On 12/29/2020 at 10:45 AM, princevaliantus said:

TRAVEL ALERTUpdated: December 29, 2020 - Suspended Cruises

On October 30, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order, a roadmap for the steps the CDC will require for resumption of cruise voyages in the U.S. We will closely review the order and continue to partner with global and domestic authorities, including the CDC, to chart a path forward.

We have extended our voluntary temporary suspension of ALL voyages through March 2021. Previously, we had announced the suspension of cruises on all ships except Norwegian Encore, Norwegian Escape, and Norwegian Joy. Today, we have added those three ships to the list of cruises suspended through March 2021.

No surpirse at all.......

Wash....Rinse....Repeat......

This has been the story of the cruise industry..keep cancelling for 3 mths out at a time or so.....wont be the last one we see I am sure.....perhaps after the next one that will take them through June of 2021 it may start to change...as in ONE ship trying to start back from the fleet...but even that is iffy at this point based on the past and where we are currently.

5 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

This has been the story of the cruise industry..keep cancelling for 3 mths out at a time or so.....wont be the last one we see I am sure.....perhaps after the next one that will take them through June of 2021 it may start to change...as in ONE ship trying to start back from the fleet...but even that is iffy at this point based on the past and where we are currently.

My one questions is when are the mock cruises going to start in the U.S.A.?? And the Europe cruise season is just a little over 3 months away. When is RCG going to put out an update? Sheesh...just say something and don't keep all your loyal cruisers in limbo. Many are being turned of by RCG's inept attitude. 

Yes..with the total suspension of cruising till April now....then they have to set up some mock cruises to get approval...and then they can slowly start to roll out cruising with very limited #'s and full of restrictions. And then if course if there is an outbreak or two when it does resume, watch out!

Nothing is going to happen before the fall at the earliest..and that's assuming there are no issues or complications with the vaccine or the roll out(already is) and no major shifts or changes with Covid in the population(which already appears to be happening)

Cruise industry is sunk for 2021 to be honest....its going to be a tough go for any cruise company to stay afloat for ANOTHER 12-18 months before "regular" cruising happens imho.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:35 AM, princevaliantus said:

My one questions is when are the mock cruises going to start in the U.S.A.?? And the Europe cruise season is just a little over 3 months away. When is RCG going to put out an update? Sheesh...just say something and don't keep all your loyal cruisers in limbo. Many are being turned of by RCG's inept attitude. 

I think they threw in the towel on the mock cruises and protocols, going with vaccine or bust.

Tiptoeing up to the no politics line here but pretty sure that the whole thing was only moving forward due to political pressure at the time that is no longer being applied.

On 12/31/2020 at 10:32 AM, monctonguy said:

That's the secret code - "WRR" shhh - don't tell everyone.... ?

So just got back from a land based vacation(ugh) and I can not understand how the CDC or our government thinks this is OK!  It was my choice to fly and I really don't care if it was a packed plane, I can't understand why they are being so hard on cruise lines! 

I will also say it was so nice to see people on vacation enjoying themselves.  

image0.jpeg

19 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

So just got back from a land based vacation(ugh) and I can not understand how the CDC or our government thinks this is OK!  It was my choice to fly and I really don't care if it was a packed plane, I can't understand why they are being so hard on cruise lines! 

The CDC does not have authority to stop land vacations.  Their guidelines are not to travel but that is all they can do - issue guidelines for domestic travel.  If they had authority they would shutdown airlines as well.  So it isn't that they are being hard on cruise lines while giving land vacations a free pass, they are controlling what they can (cruise lines) while watching people on land vacation unable to do anything about it.

So the CDC is the BIG BAD Wolf that they are huffing and puffing that they can't control US land vacations, so they have to pick on the American Cruise lines basing their ships in a foreign country to get around paying taxes, no other reason in my OPINION, since we all have read what they plan on doing on the ships!  These cruise lines probably have more procedures in place then the airlines, airports and resorts do!!!!  And great, "they are controlling what they can " more Government Control in our country, God Help Us!  Thanks for your opinion. ?

7 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Which American cruise lines are you referring to?

Did a quick search "why do american cruise lines register their ships in a foreign country" just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my - - -, and on a top level search it produced this, maybe I should have said "some taxes".  

Why do US cruise ships sail under foreign flags?
Why Do Cruise Ships Fly Foreign Flags? Cruise ships fly foreign flags in order to benefit from laws and regulations in other countries. Flying a foreign flag affects employment, taxes, and many other regulations that may be favorable for the cruise line.

why do american cruise lines register their ships in a foreign country

American flagged passenger ships with more than 250 combined crew and guests are also subject to the CDC order.  Its not an attack on foreign companies.  

For reasons that are steeped in history shipping has long been subject to federal laws and oversight.  This includes US flagged ships with US crew.  Most of that history and the road down the legal path that got us into this federal control for shipping was done for the right reasons even if we don't always like it. 

9 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Did a quick search "why do american cruise lines register their ships in a foreign country" just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my - - -, and on a top level search it produced this, maybe I should have said "some taxes".  

Glad you caught yourself. Cruise lines only pay corporate taxes, payroll taxes, etc. which are required for running their offices/businesses within the U.S. 

14 hours ago, twangster said:

The CDC does not have authority to stop land vacations.  Their guidelines are not to travel but that is all they can do - issue guidelines for domestic travel.  If they had authority they would shutdown airlines as well.  So it isn't that they are being hard on cruise lines while giving land vacations a free pass, they are controlling what they can (cruise lines) while watching people on land vacation unable to do anything about it.

Not to disagree with you but the CDC does have the authority to shut down the airlines in this country because they are all US flagged carriers.   However airlines do more than just carry vacationers, there are people who still must travel for essential purposes, and also what people may not know is passenger carriers also move a lot of cargo.  When most people think of cargo they think UPS or FedEx but passenger carriers like American, United, and Delta move a lot of cargo and mail throughout their networks. Shutting down all passenger carriers is a decision not to be taken lightly because the repercussions to the US economy would be devastating.  The airlines are very much intertwined into the overall US economic engine.

Having said that I will say the CDC has taken a complete 100% hands off approach to the airline industry allowing that industry to make up their own rules as they see fit, but they have completely lock down the cruise industry.  I've always said this from the moment the CDC issued their no sail order, the virus didn't reach Washington State, or New York City via a cruise ship (there were no direct cruises between China and either of those states) the virus reach those states via airplanes.  Passengers on airplane who were not properly screened is how the virus got into this country, but cruise lines not airlines are the ones who paid the price.  Airlines get bailed out while cruise lines are left out in the cold.  There are millions of people in this country who work directly or indirectly for a cruise line or in the cruise industry who can't go back to work because the CDC will not allow it.  The cruise industry was an easy target not only for the CDC but governments around the world, whereas airlines are a whole different beast.  

13 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

Not to disagree with you but the CDC does have the authority to shut down the airlines in this country because they are all US flagged carriers.   However airlines do more than just carry vacationers, there are people who still must travel for essential purposes, and also what people may not know is passenger carriers also move a lot of cargo.  When most people think of cargo they think UPS or FedEx but passenger carriers like American, United, and Delta move a lot of cargo and mail throughout their networks. Shutting down all passenger carriers is a decision not to be taken lightly because the repercussions to the US economy would be devastating.  The airlines are very much intertwined into the overall US economic engine.

Having said that I will say the CDC has taken a complete 100% hands off approach to the airline industry allowing that industry to make up their own rules as they see fit, but they have completely lock down the cruise industry.  I've always said this from the moment the CDC issued their no sail order, the virus didn't reach Washington State, or New York City via a cruise ship (there were no direct cruises between China and either of those states) the virus reach those states via airplanes.  Passengers on airplane who were not properly screened is how the virus got into this country, but cruise lines not airlines are the ones who paid the price.  Airlines get bailed out while cruise lines are left out in the cold.  There are millions of people in this country who work directly or indirectly for a cruise line or in the cruise industry who can't go back to work because the CDC will not allow it.  The cruise industry was an easy target not only for the CDC but governments around the world, whereas airlines are a whole different beast.  

Only Congress can limit domestic commerce and travel.  International travel is another matter.

19 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

Not to disagree with you but the CDC does have the authority to shut down the airlines in this country because they are all US flagged carriers.

There are no U.S. flagged carriers: Prior to World War II, the U.S. had a de facto international flag carrier in Pan American, which tried to retain that position postwar. Instead, the U.S. government opted for competitive airlines.  After the deregulation of airlines in 1978, which officially removed government control over fare prices and routes, competition between airlines increased. The United States turned from a single national carrier to favor a number of domestic and regional airlines.

Moreover, the CDC does not have authority to shut down airports/airlines. The CDC only has the "legal authority for isolation and quarantine" from the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution. Under 42 Code of Federal Regulations parts 70 and 71, CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine, and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases.

IF the CDC had that authority, it would have shut down airports/airlines months ago and/or limited to only essential workers which they did not. In essence, I'm not an essential worker and I was flying during the height of the pandemic.

16 minutes ago, Winston Wolf said:

I 100% expect royal to cancel March today or tomorrow.  It's the first week after passing the 90 day deadline for the March cruises to be paid in full, so now they cancel and keep the $ as FCC.  IIRC NCL's PIF deadline is further out than Royal's is, so they could cancel March earlier.

According to your theory, the 90 day mark was December 1, 2020, for March cruises to start being cancelled. As for today, there is only 55 days left for March cruises.

This may not be precise but the gist of it is...

I've heard something to the effect that if the federal government were to "detain" a US Citizen or deny them the ability to freely travel domestically even for public health reasons, that citizen has a right to appear before a court to argue their case.  Every single citizen has the right to freedom including freedom of movement within the US and when that is challenged they can have their day in court.

A person who is known to be infected (positive test result) is clearly a risk to others and the court may likely side with the government.  A person who is not yet infected poses no risk to society so it becomes a lot less clear if the court would side with the government in their attempt to limit or restrict the freedom of a US citizen by applying a domestic travel ban to anyone who hasn't tested positive.  Congress could enact new legislation or the constitution could be amended but that is a process that would take a long time.

In theory if the CDC shutdown a domestic flight or airline, that is essentially hindering the freedom of US citizens and every one of them has a right to present their case before a judge.  A person who is infected or has tested positive is one thing but to apply mass restrictions to citizens with no evidence they pose a risk to another person is a different matter even if the federal government is trying to protect the individuals impacted.

International movement is another matter and by definition all mass market foreign ship travel is international in nature.

The small US flagged cruise lines including river cruises on the Columbia, Snake and Mississippi that have ships with less than 250 capacity are not subject to the CDC order but they are members of CLIA and have agreed to abide by CLIA's shutdown.  They likely know that becoming a mass spreader would likely not end well for them right now but as this moves forward and numbers begin to decline they could be some of the first passenger ships to sail even before the CDC lifts or modifies their cruise ship order.