Covid 19 Vaccine

Cruiseallday

20 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Its one shot......

OperationWarp Speed was amazing and a huge succes like nothin gin history......brought together because of  President Trump..thats fact!

I dont know how the States works with rolling out medical procedures such as vaccination roll-outs from a federal and state level etc....so I cant comment on that....expect to tell you that Canada approved the vaccine before the US...and we are behind the US in vaccinations...so what would you say Trudeau is doing??!..lol

Just wondering how anyone can say it was a success like nothing in history when we as a country are 90% short of the goal of 20 million.  If y performance evaluation was at 10%, my boss and I would have a serious conversation.  10% on a test in school is an F.  

I will add this is not all on the federal gov. The states play a large roll in this and the manufacturing and distribution has a large roll on this obviously. Its just getting started and we need patience, problem is we don't have time for patience.

I truly believe once we get things moving here we can beat this thing by summer for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

And that last paragraph is most important. Inexpensive and easy to deliver to people. This is enormous. The waiting for the second shot in a little worried about. I just don't know about that part of the equation. 

I agree regarding the second shot and only time will tell (I understand that currently under 1m people have received the first dose and I have no idea how many of them have subsequently become infected).

Given the sharp increase in cases and associated hospital admissions here there is a real concern that the health service could soon become overwhelmed and I believe the idea is to give as many vulnerable people as possible the chance to build up some protection, thereby allowing health professionals to focus their attention on those who unfortunately have not had that chance.

18 hours ago, monctonguy said:

We were looking at a September cruise but not at this point..way too much uncertainty  and IF'S.....even the November one I think is iffy..I give it a 75% chance at this point...a Sept cruise would be 50/50...anything sooner isn't worth the risk, worry and $$ being tied up!

Same....We have an August cruise which I am pretty certain it won't go.  Our next is xmas cruise and that to me is iffy (but haven't given up hope).  We're also Canadian, DH and I are at the bottom of the list for the vaccine so sometime in the fall?, plus we have kids so the vaccine needs to be approved.  And for us Canadians, when will the border open?  Plus the ports need to be open for visitors.  Covid has shut down the world so think it'll be awhile before things start up again. And sadly, cruise ships will be at the bottom of the list to return as they have a bad wrap and are complicated with stops at various places.

But I do have hope things will return.  It just may not be as quick as some think.

11 minutes ago, Ian T said:

I agree regarding the second shot and only time will tell (I understand that currently under 1m people have received the first dose and I have no idea how many of them have subsequently become infected).

Given the sharp increase in cases and associated hospital admissions here there is a real concern that the health service could soon become overwhelmed and I believe the idea is to give as many vulnerable people as possible the chance to build up some protection, thereby allowing health professionals to focus their attention on those who unfortunately have not had that chance.

Actually I'm watching the BBC here from the US, gotta love the internet. I see what they are saying here. 

One dose or jab as the UK calls it (love the UK) protects enough that no one was hopitalized so getting that first dose to as many as possible is the goal here. Interesting strategy and I understand it now. Hopefully everything falls into place and we can all get this done. 

8 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Same....We have an August cruise which I am pretty certain it won't go.  Our next is xmas cruise and that to me is iffy (but haven't given up hope).  We're also Canadian, DH and I are at the bottom of the list for the vaccine so sometime in the fall?, plus we have kids so the vaccine needs to be approved.  And for us Canadians, when will the border open?  Plus the ports need to be open for visitors.  Covid has shut down the world so think it'll be awhile before things start up again. And sadly, cruise ships will be at the bottom of the list to return as they have a bad wrap and are complicated with stops at various places.

But I do have hope things will return.  It just may not be as quick as some think.

Keep the faith!

I know this thread has been altered to what is happening with the vaccines.  In order to safely cruise (and even travel within the US let alone globally), vaccines will need to be delivered into people's arms across the globe.  One can not assume that what is happening in the US, Canada and the UK will be sufficient to travel safely.  The pandemic has hit every continent, including Antarctica.  The rollout of the vaccines will require leadership and global cooperation.  The US has traditionally provided much of the leadership.  

There is not a Republican or Democratic way to administer the vaccine.  Likewise the actual deliver of the vaccine in the US is the same as delivering the vaccine in the UK, France, China, India and Zambia.  

Traveling on a cruise ship or via plane will not be safe for a while.  Just saying.

12 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Actually I'm watching the BBC here fun the US, gotta love the internet. I see what they are saying here. 

One dose or jab at the UK calls it (love the UK) protects enough that no one was hopitalized so getting that first dose to as many as possible is the goal here. Interesting strategy and I understand it now. Hopefully everything falls into place and we can all get this done. 

Talking of UK terminology around "jabs" my wife is a NHS phlebotomist and the standard line to a patient when inserting the needle used to be along the lines of "You might feel a little prick..." however that is no longer considered PC and she instead has to say "You might feel a sharp scratch". ? 

8 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Barb got her Moderna COVID-19 vaccine shot yesterday...She's a RN at our local hospital.  She was not scheduled to receive it yet but she was assisting in giving it to other Doctors and Nurses.   A couple of people scheduled failed to show up.  After the Moderna is removed from the cold storage, it must be used in a few hours or it goes to waste...So she got it a little early.  No side effects so far.

Sister-in-law (who's a PA in Naples) got it this week also - no ill effects

9 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

@WannaCruise ... Do not give up hope.  You should be good for Christmas 2021 (You are correct about August being an issue).  Here is the good news:

1).  3 of the first 3 Vaccines are good, so far.  It is not too much to hope for 2 (or more) of the remaining 4 high potentials to be good as well.  Canada is well covered ... it is more a question of how "fast can we jab".  

2).  The US will be ahead of Canada (this is actually critical for cruising starting up again).  They did not pay for all of the world wide vaccine development, but they paid for tons of it and they are at the front of the line.  They will get enough vaccinated to make a difference by the Fall.

3).  Hopefully, the cruise industry will recommend that only vaccinated people be allowed on board (the heads of some major cruise lines are already hinting at this ... to get us ready)..  That will make a return to cruising much more palatable for Cruise Lines, Governments, Medical Advisory Bodies and (maybe most important) Travel Insurance Companies.  A "vaccination only" policy might be the biggest development that "guarantees" your Christmas 2021.  (People who do not get the vaccine may have to wait until 2023ish).

Most importantly, remember Commander Taggart's famous line ... "Never Give Up, Never Surrender". (Either you are a fan or you will need to look it up).

?

Curt from Canada

1 hour ago, Curt From Canada said:

@WannaCruise ... Do not give up hope.  You should be good for Christmas 2021 (You are correct about August being an issue).  Here is the good news:

1).  3 of the first 3 Vaccines are good, so far.  It is not too much to hope for 2 (or more) of the remaining 4 high potentials to be good as well.  Canada is well covered ... it is more a question of how "fast can we jab".  

2).  The US will be ahead of Canada (this is actually critical for cruising starting up again).  They did not pay for all of the world wide vaccine development, but they paid for tons of it and they are at the front of the line.  They will get enough vaccinated to make a difference by the Fall.

3).  Hopefully, the cruise industry will recommend that only vaccinated people be allowed on board (the heads of some major cruise lines are already hinting at this ... to get us ready)..  That will make a return to cruising much more palatable for Cruise Lines, Governments, Medical Advisory Bodies and (maybe most important) Travel Insurance Companies.  A "vaccination only" policy might be the biggest development that "guarantees" your Christmas 2021.  (People who do not get the vaccine may have to wait until 2023ish).

Most importantly, remember Commander Taggart's famous line ... "Never Give Up, Never Surrender". (Either you are a fan or you will need to look it up).

?

Curt from Canada

Thank you so much for the hope.  We're ok if we have to wear masks...would just love to get on the ship next year (would be there right now if it runs).  

image.thumb.jpeg.8debbd271653b2663ee13957cc65619a.jpeg

WE WILL PERSEVERE!!! My husband got his Monday (Moderna) and mine will be in a week and a half (Pfizer). Husband still has two eyes and all four limbs!!! Lol!!! If we notice any differences, I will let you all know! Both of us are in medical and cannot wait to be vaccinated. I am so curious what the new guidelines for cruising will be!!! We are very hopeful that we will be able to see safe cruising by EOY 2021!!! 

Sending you all happy thoughts and virtual hugs!

Drew

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Got a notice by text this evening that anyone over 65 that wants to be vaccinated only has to call and make an appointment. There is apparently a 1 week lead time.  Surprised that they are getting to us so quickly.

Where are you located?  In US every state is different and we cannot get them here, even if over 65.   I have already rec'd mine and want my husband to be able to get his too.

I just got my first dose yesterday with no side effects. Just a little soreness in the arm just like my flu shot. In my area the military is handling all the logistics of this. I was told yesterday we have plenty of Vaccines but we are in short supply of people to give the Vaccine which is why the Military is helping with everything else. They have begun training our local paramedics to give the vaccine to speed this process up. I go for my 2nd shot on January 20th. 

It will be interesting to see how the vaccine is being rolled out throughout the Caribbean. 

It's one thing to reach a point where the CDC will let ships sail but they need somewhere to sail to.  When will each nation in the Caribbean have enough of their population vaccinated where they'll open their ports to arriving cruise ships? 

On 12/29/2020 at 8:17 AM, Cruiseallday said:

I am a Firefighter/EMT and I was notified by my county Health department by email. I had to register and fill out a health questionnaire. Once you complete that process they let me choose the time and date that I would like to get the Vaccine. The time frame only went out a few days because of the Holiday's so I choose my next day off which is tomorrow to get the Vaccine. I know plenty of others that have received it and so far no issues. 

I'm a FF as well, wondering how many of your coworkers choose to get the vaccine.  Our department sent out a list to sign up for it and less then 30% said yes.  

10 hours ago, Mike P said:

I'm a FF as well, wondering how many of your coworkers choose to get the vaccine.  Our department sent out a list to sign up for it and less then 30% said yes.  

3000 dying a day and people rejecting the vaccine because a couple of people have had non fatal reactions. Makes sense and explains everything.

1 hour ago, bretts173 said:

3000 dying a day and people rejecting the vaccine because a couple of people have had non fatal reactions. Makes sense and explains everything.

I realize there will never be 100% acceptance but was surprised by the low number. Just wondering if this is common among other agencies or if it’s just us!

1 hour ago, bretts173 said:

people rejecting the vaccine because a couple of people have had non fatal reactions

So you can speak for all the people who decided to not take the vaccine.  Are you a psychic and know why these peope are not taking it?   
Please stick to the facts.  If you do not know why then do not make blanket statements based on nothing!

6 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

So you can speak for all the people who decided to not take the vaccine.  Are you a psychic and know why these peope are not taking it?   
Please stick to the facts.  If you do not know why then do not make blanket statements based on nothing!

Ok, this is a fact. A lot of people are rejecting the vaccines because if conspiracy. Nut job conspiracy about microchips being implanted with the vaccine. 

Then there is fear that they are dangerous. That I can understand you a degree but much of it is irrational. 

16 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Ok, this is a fact. A lot of people are rejecting the vaccines because if conspiracy.

A fact?  What is a lot?  How can a "fact" be based on a subjective term like "a lot"?   I will agree that there are always people out there that take the extreme view on almost everything, but to say it is "a fact" that "a lot"...  show me your numbers, and sources.  Facts can be back up with number not just your feelings.

4 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

A fact?  What is a lot?  How can a "fact" be based on a subjective term like "a lot"?   I will agree that there are always people out there that take the extreme view on almost everything, but to say it is "a fact" that "a lot"...  show me your numbers, and sources.  Facts can be back up with number not just your feelings.

Yeah there isn't a lot of crazy conspiracy running rampant in this country at the moment. We are the most ass backwards industrialized country of them all. We allow misinformation to dominate. 

It is 100% a fact that people are allowing conspiracy to cloud what they think of the vaccines. Its going to hinder us from getting out of this mess and ultimately cruises to start. 

• Matt locked this topic