Covid 19 Vaccine

Cruiseallday

7 hours ago, Cruiseallday said:

I get my Covid 19 Vaccine on Wednesday. I feel cautiously optimistic about cruising starting up in the 2nd quarter of next year. At least a few ships at least. It looks like by April anybody in the general public should be able to receive the vaccine. Lets just keep our fingers crossed! 

I'm curious, how were you notified about receiving the vaccine? Again, just curious as I don't expect it to be offered till spring and wondering how you get notified. Thanks for the help. 

I am a Firefighter/EMT and I was notified by my county Health department by email. I had to register and fill out a health questionnaire. Once you complete that process they let me choose the time and date that I would like to get the Vaccine. The time frame only went out a few days because of the Holiday's so I choose my next day off which is tomorrow to get the Vaccine. I know plenty of others that have received it and so far no issues. 

26 minutes ago, Cruiseallday said:

I am a Firefighter/EMT and I was notified by my county Health department by email. I had to register and fill out a health questionnaire. Once you complete that process they let me choose the time and date that I would like to get the Vaccine. The time frame only went out a few days because of the Holiday's so I choose my next day off which is tomorrow to get the Vaccine. I know plenty of others that have received it and so far no issues. 

Awesome, that's interesting and exactly the info I was looking for. 

I'm an essential employee myself, not as important as an EMT though of course but my job is essential. They mentioned something about getting us vaccinated but that was a few weeks ago and haven't heard a thing since. I'll wait my turn as it much more important for others to receive their vaccination first. 

My timeline that I'm hoping for is 2nd shot by June, first in May and second June. I'm reading it might be earlier now. 

Good luck to you. Please tell us how your experience good, any side effects. Thank you again for the info. 

On 12/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, Cruiseallday said:

I get my Covid 19 Vaccine on Wednesday. I feel cautiously optimistic about cruising starting up in the 2nd quarter of next year. At least a few ships at least. It looks like by April anybody in the general public should be able to receive the vaccine. Lets just keep our fingers crossed! 

Cant imagine that will happen...by April...I am wary about November at this point....we have been told in Canada that vaccine does NOT mean relaxed travel or social distancing.....status quo till at least end of summer it appears....better luck to my American friends and sailors!

6 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Cant imagine that will happen...by April...I am wary about November at this point....we have been told in Canada that vaccine does mean relaxed travel or social distancing.....status quo till at least end of summer it appears....better luck to my American friends and sailors!

I don't know about you but I kinda feel the feeling from the cruise lines they don't expect to sail till 2022. I'm not a conspiracy guy but they raised enough money to last till summer 2022. Would they raised that much money if they didn't need it? It's almost like they know or pretty much know they won't be sailing anytime soon. Our August Oasis cruise may even be in jeopardy, who knows. 

Yeah..and my quote should say we are NOT getting rules relaxed till the fall..and thats assuming it all works out perfect and no issues or problems in the next 8 months......thats alot of "ifs".......

We were looking at a September cruise but not at this point..way too much uncertainty  and IF'S.....even the November one I think is iffy..I give it a 75% chance at this point...a Sept cruise would be 50/50...anything sooner isn't worth the risk, worry and $$ being tied up!

I've been doing some reading on the 1918 Pandemic.  Four waves and close to three years with around a third of the world's population infected.

The Spanish Flu pandemic came to an end though, and so will the Covid-19 pandemic.  When you feel things are hopeless, remember this...it will end.

To plagiarize Winston Churchill.....perhaps the vaccine is the end of the beginning.

We all will cruise again.

It make no sense that they would not cruise till 2022.  If the vaccine works and they claim that by June any American who wants it can have it.  I do not know what any other country is saying but for now I will limit it to the US.  If it does work then why would everything including the cruise lines not be 100% shortly after if not before? 

19 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

It make no sense that they would not cruise till 2022.  If the vaccine works and they claim that by June any American who wants it can have it.  I do not know what any other country is saying but for now I will limit it to the US.  If it does work then why would everything including the cruise lines not be 100% shortly after if not before? 

Does it work?...you can still get it and spread it even with the vaccine..so while not a scientist, in layman terms...that would be that it doesn't work.  I mean, you cant have it both ways...and that's just factual.

SO.....you got the vaccine..but you can still catch it and spread it to others all over the cruise ship........yeah, cruising isn't coming back with that kinda vaccine.

On top of that...you know there will be delays, issues, compilations along the way..Biden has told the US that the darkest days are ahead.......and once Royal does start up cruising on a very limited and testing basis for a couple months...and then you have to hope there are no outbreaks or problems on those cruises.......so 2022 before "normal" cruising is certainly quite possible and likely at this point!.....

6 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

I have not heard of this.  Is this just speculation?  Where did you read this?  If that is the case it is not a real vaccine is it?

Here's a link to an FDA FAQ page. Not a great deal of certainty on many topics.

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/mcm-legal-regulatory-and-policy-framework/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine-frequently-asked-questions

7 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

I have not heard of this.  Is this just speculation?  Where did you read this?  If that is the case it is not a real vaccine is it?

Here in Canada we are told this every day.....and its the same vaccine we are using....

I am hoping its all wrong too..but I dont think so....come back and visit this post in a year and we can see...

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Here in Canada we are told this every day.....and its the same vaccine we are using....

I am hoping its all wrong too..but I dont think so....come back and visit this post in a year and we can see...

Well, they should not be saying you can still spread it because that hasn't been established yet.  Normally, longer vaccine trials would have reported this information but the emergency approval process meant that so far the vaccines have only been shown to be safe enough and effective enough for the recipient.  Until there is evidence one way or the other, we have to assume we can still spread the virus and behave accordingly.  That's what should be reported right now.

1 hour ago, PaulRC said:

Your logic is sound.  The "by the end of June" timing will be difficult, but plus or minus a month or two is very likely.  Certainly Vaccine "Passports" would speed the process of restarting cruising in a significant way.  A few random thoughts:

1) The US is way ahead of the rest of the world in vaccine procurement.  Canada may have more doses per capita, however, we are nowhere near the front of the line.  Canada's target is "everyone who wants one by the end of September" (which is a politicians way of saying we do not have 2 doses for everyone by then).  Still, that is good enough for me to roll up my sleeve, get the vaccine and start packing for a November 2021 cruise.

2) Vaccines dramatically reduce the chances of falling ill to COVID 19, for those who are vaccinated.  It also reduces the chance of serious illness if the desired immune response is not achieved.  However, there is a "70% to 85%" estimate of vaccination level required.  I am afraid there are too many skeptics or people who are too afraid to get the vaccine in US or Canada to achieve that level in 2021. 

3) There is also much more study required to determine how much the vaccine reduces the chance of a vaccinated person transmitting COVID 19 (there does not seem to be any solid science on this yet).  The vaccine trains our bodies to defend themselves against the "invader", but does not transfer that ability to those not vaccinated.

4) I think "100% cruising" might be the biggest issue.  Due to points 2) & 3) above, the ramp up might be slower than we would like.  To ramp up there will still be many protocols in place (physical distancing and masking ... reduced requirements, but something still required).  These are not easy to do, and are costly.  Still, I will be packing for that November 2021 cruise in September of 2021. ?

Stay Safe, Stay Apart, Stay Connected,

Curt from Canada

I think that cruising in 2021 is optimistic. The administration had no plan to roll out the vaccine in the US. They will not achieve targets by end of the 1st quarter. The holiday surge will set the country even farther behind. 

before they can roll out the vaccines, they need the equipment needed to dose the vaccine , PPEs and a way to transport it to remote areas where there are no CVS and Walgreens. Federal government had no plan. Not being political, just stating the fact that we will not be safe until 2022 at the earliest. 

@twangster I will agree with you, with a build (or few):

1).  The mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) were the quickest to "build" and test.  There are many more vaccine candidates in the pipeline.  The next ones are the ones that are of a more traditional nature.  They should be fairly efficacious as well.

2).  @SteelersNationVA has a good point.  Vaccines in a vial do no good without needles, health care professionals, and a plan to get them where they are needed. Getting the right vials, needles and "medical warriors" in the right places at the right time is a challenge.  Still, plus or minus 2 months, there could be wide adoption (vaccine "reluctance" will still be the biggest issue).

3). I am very reassured that both the USA and Canada have military professionals leading the logistics.  I have already seen both admit mistakes and commit to doing better.  Very, very refreshing.  

4).  I am still planning on packing for my November 2021 cruise in September 2021. ?

Curt from Canada

13 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Well, they should not be saying you can still spread it because that hasn't been established yet.  Normally, longer vaccine trials would have reported this information but the emergency approval process meant that so far the vaccines have only been shown to be safe enough and effective enough for the recipient.  Until there is evidence one way or the other, we have to assume we can still spread the virus and behave accordingly.  That's what should be reported right now.

Bingo, scientists need hard information before declaring something. They are pretty sure you can't spread it but they need more info, more studies for that which they didn't have enough time to do. They will get this info when enough people have had the vaccine. I suspect that once they get definitive proof the masks will them go away for those that have had the vaccine at the very least. 

Let me just say, these vaccines are pretty incredible on a number of levels. 

35 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55280671

Oxford-AstraZeneca approval given in the UK, roll-out starts next Monday, targeting 2 million a week (which I think is somewhat optimistic)

Huge one! This is a huge thing. This is 3 bucks a dose, and stored at normal refrigeration temps. This can be distributed and afforded by poor counties. This can't be underestimated how huge this news is!

12 hours ago, SteelersNationVA said:

before they can roll out the vaccines, they need the equipment needed to dose the vaccine , PPEs and a way to transport it to remote areas where there are no CVS and Walgreens. Federal government had no plan. Not being political, just stating the fact that we will not be safe until 2022 at the earliest. 

Over 4 million Americans have received the shop already!  How is that not rolled out?

Barb got her Moderna COVID-19 vaccine shot yesterday...She's a RN at our local hospital.  She was not scheduled to receive it yet but she was assisting in giving it to other Doctors and Nurses.   A couple of people scheduled failed to show up.  After the Moderna is removed from the cold storage, it must be used in a few hours or it goes to waste...So she got it a little early.  No side effects so far.

2 hours ago, PaulRC said:

Over 4 million Americans have received the shop already!  How is that not rolled out?

It is actually 2.1 million doses delivered.  These people will require a 2nd dose.  There are 331 million Americans.  0.6% of the population is not good enough to relax.  According to experts it will take 10 years to vaccinate the public at the current pace.  Just saying

6 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Its one shot......

OperationWarp Speed was amazing and a huge succes like nothin gin history......brought together because of  President Trump..thats fact!

I dont know how the States works with rolling out medical procedures such as vaccination roll-outs from a federal and state level etc....so I cant comment on that....expect to tell you that Canada approved the vaccine before the US...and we are behind the US in vaccinations...so what would you say Trudeau is doing??!..lol

The Astrazenca/Oxford Vaccine is 2 shots. Operation Warp speed is a success, I didn't say anything about that. Now the truth is everyone and their mother was going to work on a vaccine and as fast as possible regardless. The money up front helped. 

You are extremely irrational in your thinking. I try to avoid you because I read every comment you make and you are extremely irrational. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Its 2 shots. I believe Johnson and Johnson/Janssen is the only 1 shot vaccine at that I know about. 

100 million doses of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine ordered by the UK Government; of which "several million" are reported to already be available with vaccination due to start on Jan 4th.

There has been a change to the protocol here though... it seems latest analysis shows that whilst two doses remains the gold standard, enough protection is still seen in people who have so far only had the first dose (which is currently most of them - the first person to receive her second dose did so yesterday) that none who have gone on to become infected have required hospital treatment. This is encouraging news given they are considered the most vulnerable members of our society. Therefore whilst everyone will still ultimately receive two doses the plan now is to administer the first dose to as many as possible within the most at risk groups rather than prioritise the second doses, which will instead be administered within 12 weeks.

This morning the Health Secretary Matt Hancock said "What I can tell you is whereas previously I've said that I hope we can be out of this by Spring, I've now got a very high degree of confidence that we can be out of this by Spring"... I really hope he's right! ?

Arguably of more importance however - and to your earlier point @RCIfan1912 - this vaccine should be more widely available to developing countries, in terms of both cost and logistics (as it can be stored in a normal fridge) and AstraZeneca are reported as hoping to produce and distribute 3 billion doses at zero profit in 2021, which should deliver a real kick in the teeth to the virus; however it is a race against time as the thinking is the longer the virus is able to circulate, the more opportunities there are for variants to emerge.

6 minutes ago, SteelersNationVA said:

The Johnson and Johnson vaccine has not been approved.  Nore has the Astra Zeneca has been approved.  

I did not say they were approved. The Astrazenca vaccine actually was just approved in the UK this morning. It will follow here shortly. Johnson and Johnson/Janssen is not ready yet. Soon too I hear but not yet. 

6 minutes ago, Ian T said:

100 million doses of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine ordered by the UK Government; of which "several million" are reported to already be available with vaccination due to start on Jan 4th.

There has been a change to the protocol here though... it seems latest analysis shows that whilst two doses remains the gold standard, enough protection is still seen in people who have so far only had the first dose (which is currently most of them - the first person to receive her second dose did so yesterday) that none who have gone on to become infected have required hospital treatment. This is encouraging news given they are considered the most vulnerable members of our society. Therefore whilst everyone will still ultimately receive two doses the plan now is to administer the first dose to as many as possible within the most at risk groups rather than prioritise the second doses, which will instead be administered within 12 weeks.

This morning the Health Secretary Matt Hancock said "What I can tell you is whereas previously I've said that I hope we can be out of this by Spring, I've now got a very high degree of confidence that we can be out of this by Spring"... I really hope he's right! ?

Arguably of more importance however - and to your earlier point @RCIfan1912 - this vaccine should be more widely available to developing countries, in terms of both cost and logistics (as it can be stored in a normal fridge) and AstraZeneca are reported as hoping to produce and distribute 3 billion doses at zero profit in 2021, which should deliver a real kick in the teeth to the virus; however it is a race against time as the thinking is the longer the virus is able to circulate, the more opportunities there are for variants to emerge. 

And that last paragraph is most important. Inexpensive and easy to deliver to people. This is enormous. The waiting for the second shot in a little worried about. I just don't know about that part of the equation. 

10 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Its one shot......

OperationWarp Speed was amazing and a huge succes like nothin gin history......brought together because of  President Trump..thats fact!

I dont know how the States works with rolling out medical procedures such as vaccination roll-outs from a federal and state level etc....so I cant comment on that....expect to tell you that Canada approved the vaccine before the US...and we are behind the US in vaccinations...so what would you say Trudeau is doing??!..lol

The federal government has a policy that once the vaccine is approved, distribution and delivery is up to all 50 states + DC.  They had a goal of 20 million , but delivered 2.1 million.  The new administration will take a more active role, setting guidelines, use the powers of the federal government to ensure supplies are manufactured and the vaccines are delivered to those at risk.