Cape Liberty Cruise Port

Drewtastic86

Hi again!!! I have some questions regarding the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. We are sailing on the Anthem in February of 2022. We have cruised from there multiple times since it’s pretty close to our home in Delaware. Even though it’s close, we like to stay at a hotel the day before so we don’t rush to board the day we set sail. We have stayed at a few places before and tried to find some hotels that offer cruise and stay packages for free parking and shuttle. It’s a great amenity but the hotels we have stayed at that offer the program were not the best. Any suggestions on hotels that offer the free parking? Also I know @WAAAYTOOO said that getting to the Star Class section of the terminal can be a headache with the shuttle, so we are looking at hiring a limo service to take us to the terminal from the hotel. Would this be any better? Any suggestions on a service in the area? Trying to pre plan everything now because it gives us something to look forward to. 

Thanks, 

Drew 

If you are looking for somewhere just to sleep and possibly leave your car, I like Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ. I wrote about it in my Anthem blog in 2018.
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5780-anthem-of-the-seas-march-9-17-2018/

However, we actually like staying in Manhattan when sailing out of NJ and for that I love the Intercontinental Times Square (disclaimer: I tend to gravitate towards Intercontinental properties). I blogged about hotel that in my Anthem blog in 2019.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/13683-cruising-with-greatness-–-anthem-group-cruise-–-july-4-13-2019/

Both times that I sailed out NJ, I did not find the port area to be too crazy. But we got there early around 10am both times. While we did not sail Star either time, signage was clear and easy to find for star. Genies were also visible receiving guests both times that we were there. 

We stayed in Manhattan pre and post cruise... pre cruise we stayed at the Conrad Downtown and post cruise Trump International Central Park.  Both properties were close to desired amenities.  More about these properties can be found in my live blog. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/16651-first-time-star-class-8-night-holiday-bahamas-cruise-anthem-122019/

I had considered staying at Hyatt Regency Jersey City pre cruise but ultimately we decided to stay in Manhattan. It was a challenge to find hotels to accommodate 3 without 2 double beds. 

We flew into JFK and we used NY City Limo 134 + tip each way for a full size SUV with a driver meet and greet included at airport.  Had we not had so much luggage, the cost would have been considerably cheaper.  Very reliable. Would definitely use again. 
From Conrad to Liberty cruise port we used Dial 7 $119 + tip + toll each way. Full size SUV. Very reliable. Would definitely use again.  

We sailed on Friday Dec 20th and had a hotel pickup at 9:30am. Traffic was light and we arrived within 35-40 minutes.  Be sure to follow @WAAAYTOOO advice as the pier staff attempted to redirect us a couple times. I told our driver to keep going to star class banners. All was good! 
Hope this helps! 

I think your Star Class challenge in Bayonne may rest with the local traffic folks just trying to get every vehicle to the curb without any awareness of suite or steerage.  The baggage handlers just see a bag, not suite or steerage so they'll be trying to grab your luggage.  The trick with Star Class is getting through the gauntlet of terminal workers just trying to do their jobs.  They aren't Royal employees, they do every ship and cruise line using Cape Liberty so you are just another face in a sea of faces. 

Getting your stuff down to where the Star Class banners are is perhaps where you'll have to be adamant and direct.  Leave my bag alone!   

Congratulations, @Drewtastic86on Star Class.  It is an amazing experience.

We have only stayed in a hotel in the NY area once and that was due to the very first COVID-related cruising mishap (the first for Royal, at any rate).  Our cruise was delayed by 3 days so we had to stay over and wait for them to determine that there had been a false alarm on a possible COVID case on the previous sailing.  I cannot recommend any particular hotel but I can definitely steer you CLEAR of anything in downtown Bayonne.  We had to make a spur-of-the-moment decision while riding in the back of a taxi and we chose poorly.  We normally go against all of the experienced wisdom and fly in on the same day for cruises out of Bayonne.  We simply took Uber from our [awful] hotel to the port once the cruise finally started.  Sorry....no help at all on the question of hotels and rides.

The Star Class area is Zone 6 in Bayonne. The problem is, as I recall, that they (those directing traffic) were limiting who could take that right hand turn and go down to Zone 6.  I don't think they were allowing the cost sharing rides to make that turn so we had to get out on the corner and walk ALL the way down the embarkation gauntlet to get to the SC check-in.  I would say that whatever ride you take, just make SURE that they know and are able to get to Zone 6.  Even once you get to Zone 6 they will try and take your bags so RESIST !

If you have ever sailed out of the suites area of the new terminal in Miami, you will most certainly be underwhelmed at the suites/SC waiting area at Bayonne.  It's small and in no way special.  One good thing about embarkation in Bayonne (Also true at the new terminal in Miami), Star Class (and perhaps the other suites as well...I cannot remember) have a special boarding ramp.  Because I asked for our bags to remain with us throughout the boarding process, we had the porter take our bags right with us in the "private" boarding ramp when it was time to board.  I don't recall there being anyone else boarding with us so I think that ramp may have been for staff and SC only. One interesting thing about keeping your bags with you during boarding.  The bag handlers in Bayonne are Longshoremen (Union) so we had to have 2 different porters during that boarding.  Ship personnel are not permitted to handle bags in the Terminal so we had 1 handler that took our bags from the waiting area up to the ship and a ship's porter take the bags onto the ship and to our Suite.  It was kind of a nuisance, to be honest.  When we did the same process in Miami, someone from the ship came and got our bags in the waiting room and took them all the way to our suite and up the stairs.  It was much nicer.  If you want someone to take your bags upstairs for you (and all of the SC rooms on Anthem are 2-story) then I recommend keeping your bags with you.  If you have them delivered via the normal SC luggage handling process, they will be dropped off downstairs and you will have to schlep them up the stairs yourself.  Not cool.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you have ever sailed out of the suites area of the new terminal in Miami, you will most certainly be underwhelmed at the suites/SC waiting area at Bayonne.  It's small and in no way special.

Totally agree with this point.  But boarding is quite efficient there, makes up a bit for the lackluster suites area.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you have ever sailed out of the suites area of the new terminal in Miami, you will most certainly be underwhelmed at the suites/SC waiting area at Bayonne.  It's small and in no way special.  One good thing about embarkation in Bayonne (Also true at the new terminal in Miami), Star Class (and perhaps the other suites as well...I cannot remember) have a special boarding ramp.

Not Miami but Bayonne several times, I agree, it's this little corner behind a wall blocking you off from the main open seating area. I believe you're correct about the ramp being for suites only. 

Besides the porter we've had staff inside the terminal shuffle us along in the wrong direction. Let each staff member assisting you know you're in a suite & keep an eye for suite signage.

18 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

However, we actually like staying in Manhattan when sailing out of NJ

Can I ask if there's any particular reason why? 

I'm curious because (like the OP) I'm having an attack of "spring 2022 cruise-planning-itis". We were intending on doing Anthem's TA this coming April and since that's obviously toast we're looking at pushing it a year down the line. But since (unlike the OP) it's a long way for us, we want to spend a few days in New York beforehand. I'm torn between staying somewhere in NJ with easy access to PATH or somewhere in Manhattan to be closer to the action and not have to start/end each day on the train, but am wary about the latter because of the (perceived?) additional cost and hassle of getting to the port on cruise day.

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

Can I ask if there's any particular reason why? 

I'm curious because (like the OP) I'm having an attack of "spring 2022 cruise-planning-itis". We were intending on doing Anthem's TA this coming April and since that's obviously toast we're looking at pushing it a year down the line. But since (unlike the OP) it's a long way for us, we want to spend a few days in New York beforehand. I'm torn between staying somewhere in NJ with easy access to PATH or somewhere in Manhattan to be closer to the action and not have to start/end each day on the train, but am wary about the latter because of the (perceived?) additional cost and hassle of getting to the port on cruise day.

We like Manhattan because there is honestly nothing to do near the port of Cape Liberty. Even in the surrounding areas of Newark, Elizabeth, Jersey City, etc. there is nothing too exciting. If you are just looking for one night pre-cruise then those areas are perfectly fine. But with so much so see and do in NYC, we would much rather make a trip out of it and stay in the heart of NYC instead of trying to make the commute back and forth by train or some other form of transportation. It’s so convenient to step out of your hotel and be within walking distance to everything. 

The only real downside to staying in Manhattan is the drive to Cape Liberty but we usually leave early to the port anyway so that does not bother us. The way I see it, you would waste more time trying to get back and forth from NJ to NYC to sightsee compared to one trip to Cape Liberty in the morning. 

All of these responses have been so helpful! We have stayed at the Hilton Inn at Staten Island and a hotel (forget the name) at the Newark airport. They were both OK. Yes it’s just one night but to us a trip like a cruise is an experience and the entire experience should be as positive as possible. With that said, while the previous hotels had the complimentary parking, we would like try another option that has better accommodations. I think I’ll check out the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. @Lovetocruise2002  and @Jax I would love to stay in NYC but my husband would think I’m crazy to drive and park the car in Manhattan. He doesn’t like driving in the city (He also doesn’t like when I drive ?). The free parking perk at the hotel as opposed to the cruise terminal is really nice. So for those of you following look for a hotel with a cruise package for parking and/or transportation! @WAAAYTOOO I’m getting a “Zone 6 Star Class” tattoo on my wrist so I don’t forget LOL.

I just thought of something else just now, for a one night pre-cruise stay, there is another hotel that has caught my attention in the past. I was supposed to try it out back in August but never had the chance to. It’s Hyatt House in Jersey City. Right along the water front and lots of restaurants within walking distance. It looks more modern compared to Hyatt Regency and it has what looks to be a fabulous rooftop bar area. Another option for you. 

13 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I just thought of something else just now, for a one night pre-cruise stay, there is another hotel that has caught my attention in the past. I was supposed to try it out back in August but never had the chance to. It’s Hyatt House in Jersey City. Right along the water front and lots of restaurants within walking distance. It looks more modern compared to Hyatt Regency and it has what looks to be a fabulous rooftop bar area. Another option for you. 

While I can't speak to Hyatt House specifically, I can say that Jersey City is a nice option for those visiting the area.  It's very close to Manhattan if you want to hop over to see NYC, it is much cheaper than staying in NYC itself (and the rooms are generally considerably larger), it offers amazing views and has tons of really good dining options.  Jersey City is an extremely walkable area, and when it's time to head over to the terminal, being on the Jersey side makes Ubers/Lyft cheaper and the ride easier.  Just my 2 cents as a born and bred Jersey boy.

50 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Jersey City is an extremely walkable area,

I think that is what caught my attention about that area.  While I do really like Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ, that area is not very walkable at all.  And for us, when we do pre-cruise stays, areas that have lots within walking distance is very appealing to us.

17 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yeah, the rooftop bar is nice in that hotel.  Especially when it's nice enough to sit outside.  The company I work for had an after work event there once, and I also went there for drinks after work a couple of times (pre-pandemic).  

There is a W hotel in Hoboken that also is a good option for a pre-cruise stay.  Close to the PATH train, and ferry terminals to get to NYC, plus lots of great local restaurants to walk to.

@Lovetocruise2002 @USCG Teacher @karl_nj Thanks for the added input. Hyatt House seems to be a good option! I will definitely be contacting them soon to see if they indeed do a cruise package where parking at the hotel would be complimentary or discounted. Also will check out the W. If these hotels do a package, I will post my findings on this thread. In the meantime, I can gather the information of the hotels in the nearby area that I know for sure offer a package and post it here. Like I previously mentioned, we have stayed at two hotels that offer such perks.  Keep the awesome input coming!!!

Drew

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 9:18 PM, Drewtastic86 said:

I will definitely be contacting them soon to see if they indeed do a cruise package where parking at the hotel would be complimentary or discounted.

Make sure to report back if you find anything.  I have never seen anyone mention a park and cruise package for Cape Liberty.  I would think the hotels closer to Newark airport would possibly have park and fly rates available but with them being airport hotels usually there isn't much immediately available nearby.  With the cost of parking that I am seeing at the non-airport hotels, when you factor in the cost of transport to the port you might as well just pay to park at the port.

10 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Make sure to report back if you find anything.  I have never seen anyone mention a park and cruise package for Cape Liberty.  I would think the hotels closer to Newark airport would possibly have park and fly rates available but with them being airport hotels usually there isn't much immediately available nearby.  With the cost of parking that I am seeing at the non-airport hotels, when you factor in the cost of transport to the port you might as well just pay to park at the port.

Hi!  been a busy week but I did find some information.  There are multiple hotels in the area that offer a cruise and stay package, however many still charge for parking at a reduced rate.  BUUUUUUUUTTTTTTT......There are three hotels 10 miles or closer from the terminal that offer free parking for at least seven nights if you stay the night before. In addition these hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the cruise terminal.  While I was looking for a few different "upscale" options, free shuttle transport AND free parking is really nice!  These hotels are:

Hilton Garden Inn of Staten Island

1100 South Ave, Staten Island, NY 10314

(718) 477-2400

Country Inn & Suites Newark International Airport

100 International Blvd, Elizabeth, NJ 07201

(908) 282-0020

Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel

1000 Spring St, Elizabeth, NJ 07201

(908) 436-4600

14 hours ago, Drewtastic86 said:

While I was looking for a few different "upscale" options, free shuttle transport AND free parking is really nice!

Did you compare these prices to getting a good rate at a hotel you'd rather stay at + the cost of parking? 

I think park and stay "deals" are too restrictive and rarely save money.

16 hours ago, Drewtastic86 said:

In addition these hotels offer free shuttle service to and from the cruise terminal.

If you haven’t I would read the reviews on these hotels and pay particular attention to the reliability of the shuttle service, parking and cleanliness of the properties. I did a quick look on Trip Advisor and some recent reviews on the Country Inn & Suites and Renaissance are not the best.  I am not comfortable posting what was found in a coffee maker at the Country Inn....but you should definitely look into this more.  

43 minutes ago, Jax said:

If you haven’t I would read the reviews on these hotels and pay particular attention to the reliability of the shuttle service, parking and cleanliness of the properties. 

+1 on this!!! Check out what TripAdvisor says about some of these properties....not worth it IMO.

10 hours ago, Jax said:

If you haven’t I would read the reviews on these hotels and pay particular attention to the reliability of the shuttle service, parking and cleanliness of the properties. I did a quick look on Trip Advisor and some recent reviews on the Country Inn & Suites and Renaissance are not the best.  I am not comfortable posting what was found in a coffee maker at the Country Inn....but you should definitely look into this more.  

@JaxI have not gone through the reviews, because I was lured by the deal...silly mistake lol. I never want to know about that coffee maker LOL.  Even though I have not experienced the Newark hotels, I have stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn of Staten Island.  Free parking ✅, reliable shuttle ✅ and clean room✅.  It’s nothing fancy but is attached to a restaurant/ballroom space. This spot is definitely worth checking out. We were just looking for other options that were a bit more upscale and different from what we’ve done. Probably will wind up finding a decent place that offers free or low parking without worrying about the shuttle since we want to arrive to “zone 6” in style!!! I’ll probably contact one of the companies @Jax used.  I think @WAAAYTOOO would be proud lol!