Thanks to everyone for their Alaskan info

teddy

I wanted to thank everyone who has made threads or even just posted about their Alaskan experiences.  If our Aug/Sept 2021 cruise goes as planned (and we don't have to Lift/Shift), we'll book Alaska in 2022.

We're not sure which itinerary/ship we'll choose, but I have a stepbrother who lives in Juneau, so we're going to pick one that stops there.  We're leaning toward a one way cruise, either starting or ending at Seward.  I spent three weeks in Seward in 1994 and would like to spend a day there wandering around.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Juneau seems to be the one frequent port of call that appears on most Royal Alaska itineraries

lol, yea, I just realized that it's pretty much all of them.  ? 

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Here's hoping 2022 is more normal.

Boy I sure hope so.  It's been a long, strange trip.

We've decided we're either going northbound or southbound from Seward/Vancouver.  Airfare will most likely dictate which direction we choose, but honestly I don't have a preference.  Either way we will spend an extra day in Seward.

We waiting a couple months to book until we know for certain that our cruise on Liberty in Aug/Sept 2021 sails.   If we have to lift and shift, that will use up the pto my wife has allotted for cruising in 2022.  She only gets three weeks and uses two of them for cruising.  

We're going to book an inside cabin, so we're not too concerned about them being all booked up before we take the plunge.

We (I) want to go southbound. The information from @twangsteris spectacular. A great read for anyone. We will do Denall before on our own. 

the itinerary has changed to add a brief, very brief, stop in Haines - 7:00 to 11:00. This does not appear to be enough time to do anything.   Can anyone give any insight into why and what to do at this time of day in Haines. 

On 12/28/2020 at 9:42 AM, teddy said:

We've decided we're either going northbound or southbound from Seward/Vancouver.  Airfare will most likely dictate which direction we choose, but honestly I don't have a preference.  Either way we will spend an extra day in Seward.

We waiting a couple months to book until we know for certain that our cruise on Liberty in Aug/Sept 2021 sails.   If we have to lift and shift, that will use up the pto my wife has allotted for cruising in 2022.  She only gets three weeks and uses two of them for cruising.  

We're going to book an inside cabin, so we're not too concerned about them being all booked up before we take the plunge.

I was waiting to cancel my transatlantic this April, 2021, until it was cancelled to Lift and Shift to next April, 2022.  Ended up the cabin was less expensive than what I  already paid to just book 2022 now.  So, I booked 2022 already.  Will use FCC at 125% to cover next cruise.  We booked Jr Suite on both cruises.  So, you  might want to check the 2022 price now to see if it is less money than you 2021 cruise.

I currently have 8 cruises booked, will see what happens

27 minutes ago, Linda R said:

I was waiting to cancel my transatlantic this April, 2021, until it was cancelled to Lift and Shift to next April, 2022.  Ended up the cabin was less expensive than what I  already paid to just book 2022 now.  So, I booked 2022 already.  Will use FCC at 125% to cover next cruise.  We booked Jr Suite on both cruises.  So, you  might want to check the 2022 price now to see if it is less money than you 2021 cruise.

This is good info.  Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

happy Sunday Morning.

My DD1 is susceptible to sea sickness. She got seasick on the Cape May-Lewis ferry across the lower Delaware Bay has convinced herself that she will get seasick on a cruise. 

The route for the cruise from Seward to Vancouver goes in the open ocean on day 2. Most of the rest of the trip is in protected waters. Is that correct?  On day 2, is the ship able to minimize the motion with the stabilizers?   Thanks

22 hours ago, SteelersNationVA said:

happy Sunday Morning.

My DD1 is susceptible to sea sickness. She got seasick on the Cape May-Lewis ferry across the lower Delaware Bay has convinced herself that she will get seasick on a cruise. 

The route for the cruise from Seward to Vancouver goes in the open ocean on day 2. Most of the rest of the trip is in protected waters. Is that correct?  On day 2, is the ship able to minimize the motion with the stabilizers?   Thanks

Ships use stabilizers very frequently, nearly everyday in open waters.  However stabilizers only work for side to side roll, they do nothing for forward/aft pitching.  

It's impossible to predict what weather will be like on any day of a cruise.  I've sailed those waters on five different cruises and only once experienced motion.  

Ships are inherently more stable compared to boats and their much smaller counterparts - ferries.  I have a child who does terrible in the backseat of a car on the highway often feeling motion sickness even now as an adult.  They've never had a problem on a cruise ship and have done several now.

The best course of action would be discuss it with a doctor and try different motion sickness remedies before going on a ship.  Some have side effects like drowsiness.    By trying them on land and in consultation with a doctor you can find the best approach that is compatible with any other medication they may be taking.  

Often, once armed with motion sickness remedies people find no or little motion impact on a cruise.  Being prepared with remedies available often settles nerves and removes or reduces the focus on motion.   

Picking a cabin location midship on a lower deck can reduce motion impact and also have a mental benefit of knowing you are taking steps to reduce the possibility.  

No one can predict what motion might be like anywhere on any ocean.  It's like asking if it will be sunny or cloudy months into the future.  By taking steps to be prepared for the worst case it's not unusual for people to find themselves relieved to discover it isn't as bad as they thought it would be. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Alaska 2022 is out for us since our son and fiance postponed their wedding to 2022...since we are taking them on a cruise for their honeymoon, we moved the Aug 2021 cruise to Aug 2022.  That uses up the May-Sept pto my wife can use in 2022.  We're going to shoot for Alaska in 2023.

On the plus side, my wife can now join me on the Sept 2021 cruise I was going to do solo.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SteelersNationVA said:

If one has the cash to do only 1 glacier viewing plane excursion, would you do a flight in Denali, Kenai Forjds NP, or Mendenhall Glacier?  The entire trip will cost an arm and a leg. We will have to pick and choose. Which flight would you pick and why? 

If you are talking about a Denali one that's part of a land tour, I would choose that one just because I would likely do a land tour less often.  It would be cheaper to take another Alaska cruise in the future, so I could save the Mendenhall one for a later trip.

My father did the one out of Talkeetna and loved it.

4 hours ago, SteelersNationVA said:

If one has the cash to do only 1 glacier viewing plane excursion, would you do a flight in Denali, Kenai Forjds NP, or Mendenhall Glacier?  The entire trip will cost an arm and a leg. We will have to pick and choose. Which flight would you pick and why? 

We did this about 3 years ago:

1).  Fly to Vancouver and take Radiance to Seward.

2). On the way we visited the Hubbard Glacier (it is far north, so there are not many "return trip" sailings ... you need to take a one way to Seward, or the southbound to see Hubbard).  It is spectacular.

3). We did a land tour (self directed) up to Anchorage, Talkeetna and Denali.  I am certain there are other tours, but we liked the flexibility of doing it ourselves.  We took the train mostly, but saw Denali from Talkeetna and on a 13 hour tour through Denali National Park.

4).  Took the train back to Anchorage and flew home from there.

There are tons of Tour Companies ... we used this one:

Alaska Tour & Travel

I am certain others will be similar.

Stay Safe, Stay Apart, Stay Connected

Curt from Canada