Haiti with Kids

WannaCruise

I love to plan for cruise stuff and since not much else is going on, am looking ahead at our March 2022 cruise.  We have a stop at Haiti Labadee.  Last time I was there, it was just  beach, so it's changed a lot.  Is the Dragon Coaster worth it?  Is it fun for teens and worth more than one ride?  There is an option for an all day pass, or a single ride with 1 hr at the Aqua Park, or just a single ride.  Also, does it go quick or it's tame?  Not sure if it will be lame to them if they are used to amusement park rollercoasters.  (Seems fun to me though with great views)

PS - Sorry, meant to post this in excursions. Not sure if it can be moved.

13 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Is the Dragon Coaster worth it?

It can be, yes. I've generally heard good things about it.

The coaster is an alpine coaster with a hand brake. The less braking, the more thrilling it can be.  

Labadee is a beach day, and that's what most people end up doing.

I thought it was fun.  The price difference for one ride and an all day pass usually isn't that much.   It's worth doing the all-day pass in my opinion. The first time you go up you aren't sure exactly what to expect so you tend to hold back a little bit.  If you get the all day pass you can be more daring on subsequent runs and even take photos and videos since you will know where to aim.  There's some great shots you can get from the coaster of the ship.  The age limit to ride alone is 13, so a heads up on that younger ones have to ride with someone over 13.  I think I ended up riding at least 8 times over and over again with very little wait.

10 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I thought it was fun.  The price difference for one ride and an all day pass usually isn't that much.   It's worth doing the all-day pass in my opinion. The first time you go up you aren't sure exactly what to expect so you tend to hold back a little bit.  If you get the all day pass you can be more daring on subsequent runs and even take photos and videos since you will know where to aim.  There's some great shots you can get from the coaster of the ship.  The age limit to ride alone is 13, so a heads up on that younger ones have to ride with someone over 13.  I think I ended up riding at least 8 times over and over again with very little wait.

Thanks.  Yeah, would have to decide between All Day Pass for the Coaster vs Single Ride + Aqua Park.  It would probably be for just our kids.  I would love to ride it , but I have health issues with my eyes and am to avoid things that jolt too much or go too fast (although I have since gone on rides at Disney, and even the Abyss...but probably shouldn't have).  Too bad as I definitely would love the view and sounds like some great shots.  Thanks for letting me know about the age restriction.  Would they let a 12 year old ride with a 16 year old or it has to be an adult?  Not sure DH would want to ride.

5 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks.  Yeah, would have to decide between All Day Pass for the Coaster vs Single Ride + Aqua Park.  It would probably be for just our kids.  I would love to ride it , but I have health issues with my eyes and am to avoid things that jolt too much or go too fast (although I have since gone on rides at Disney, and even the Abyss...but probably shouldn't have).  Too bad as I definitely would love the view and sounds like some great shots.  Thanks for letting me know about the age restriction.  Would they let a 12 year old ride with a 16 year old or it has to be an adult?  Not sure DH would want to ride.

I just read through the restrictions and I may have gotten the age limit wrong.  The rules say between 5 and 11 can ride with the parent.  All riders must be at least 38 inches and 54 inches to ride alone.  It says you can take someone in your cart for free, so that means you wouldn't have to purchase a ticket for the passenger.  It says under 16s have to be accompanied by an adult, but this is only with respect to checking in for the ride.  If you are under 16 you have to have a parent present to sign the activity waiver but they don't have to physically ride with you.  The ride operators only check for the wristbands when you get into the carts.  I don't think they even give the passengers wristbands at all, only the ones operating the carts.  They cut the single rider wristbands off when you load into the ride.  

31 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I just read through the restrictions and I may have gotten the age limit wrong.  The rules say between 5 and 11 can ride with the parent.  All riders must be at least 38 inches and 54 inches to ride alone.  It says you can take someone in your cart for free, so that means you wouldn't have to purchase a ticket for the passenger.  It says under 16s have to be accompanied by an adult, but this is only with respect to checking in for the ride.  If you are under 16 you have to have a parent present to sign the activity waiver but they don't have to physically ride with you.  The ride operators only check for the wristbands when you get into the carts.  I don't think they even give the passengers wristbands at all, only the ones operating the carts.  They cut the single rider wristbands off when you load into the ride.  

Thank you!  Yeah, I checked and the description is very confusing.  It states 16 must be accompanied by a parent so thanks for explaining that is just for the waiver and check in. She may not want to ride alone anyways but good to know we have options.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

52 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Thank you!  Yeah, I checked and the description is very confusing.  It states 16 must be accompanied by a parent so thanks for explaining that is just for the waiver and check in. She may not want to ride alone anyways but good to know we have options.

This says a 12 year old can ride alone. 

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?ProductCode=ZL37&DestinationCode=

Restrictions:
Maximum Combined Weight: 360 lbs per cart.
Minimum height to ride alone is 54 inches. Minimum height to be a passenger is 38 inches.
Minimum age to ride alone 12 years. Minimum age to be a passenger 5 years.