RC cancelled my cruise without my consent- advice needed

Cheskita09

Hello, I am in need of advice. We used FCC from a cruise that was suspended back on May 2020 and booked for July 2021 on Brilliance of the seas CONNECTING cabins. On October 2020 we were told by our travel agent that Brilliance of the Seas was no longer going to be doing the trip but not to worry because we were getting the bigger and better Independence of the Seas- same days and everything. I told my travel agent that as long we had CONNECTING cabins we would switch, no problem. Well, RC decided to give my connecting cabins away when they cancelled my reservation without letting me know or my TA know either! Now, they cant give me a connecting cabin because the cruise is considered "close" due to the CDC guidelines. What do I do? Take my money back? Try to get a comparable cruise? I am BEYOND frustrated! We are a family 5 with young children 8, 6 and 3 so connecting cabins are a MUST! The rooms are in complete opposite sides of the boat. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!

I wish it was that simple. The TA told me that there is nothing else they can do on their end due to the cruise itself being considered "closed". No connecting cabins for me or get my money back. So.. I am back to square one. TA has reached out to RC multiple times and same answer is given over and over again. 

I would ask my TA to keep an eye on that sailing in case there are cancellations. When our kids were not of age, we booked cabins directly across the hallway with an adult in each cabin and getting extra keys so we could access everyone's room. It's not ideal for privacy sake, but if they are booking inside cabins, that may be an option. Also, who knows if the mitigation procedures will be as stringent a couple months from now that so many are taking the needle soon.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have never heard of a cruise being "closed".  Is your cabin category sold out ?  Is this sailing >7 days in length ?

Yes, it is. It is 8 nights. This is the actual response from my TA "

We did hear back, but unfortunately they cannot get you connecting cabins. We cannot do much with the bookings as they are still locked and will need to wait until any official changes have been made.

They said, “I heard back from the Revenue Analyst. Unfortunately, he isn't able to open up any inventory on any 8-night sailings per the CDC guidelines.”

I’m so sorry for all of the frustration caused and that we are not able to assist with this request. Would you like to request a refund or have us look at another sailing with connecting cabins, though pricing/promotions would not be protected."

42 minutes ago, Cheskita09 said:

Now, they cant give me a connecting cabin because the cruise is considered "close" due to the CDC guidelines. What do I do?

This is what complicates things the most.  I wonder if we were booked on the same 8 night sailing on Brilliance out of Miami for July 2021?  Because they temporarily shut down anything over 7+ nights but did not cancel them yet, your TA is correct in the sense that they are stuck.  They cannot access or make changes at the moment.  Unfortunately, in this case, you either pull the plug first and cancel under CWC, and take the FCC to book something else that fits your needs and time frame.  Or you unfortunately have to hang tight until they figure out what to do with those 8 night sailings.

This is a good example of why I think the CDC overstepped their authority.  It's one thing to dictate how long a cruise can be operated on a specific date.  It's another matter to prohibit cruise lines from marketing or working with guests already booked on a cruise that is longer than a stated length.  

It's another example how little the CDC understands the industry beyond the VSP program, a program that never ventures into operational areas beyond sanitation.

1 hour ago, Cheskita09 said:

Yes, it is. It is 8 nights.

Okay.  That explains it.  Yes, those cruises are currently locked and in utter limbo.  No changes can be made.  If I were in your situation I would hang tight and do nothing until either the cruise is cancelled or they change the status so that you can make changes.  I do understand your frustration.  When they make an arbitrary change like that it's hard on everyone.