Do You Like Christmas Cruises?

CHRIS WONG

What are your thoughts on cruising during the Christmas Holidays?

From a crew members point of view, it is by far the busiest time of the year. The ships are near enough full capacity every week, and there are a lot more activities to do onboard compared to the rest of the year.

I personally really enjoy being onboard for New Years Eve.

Do you think the ships are too busy, or does this contribute to the overall atmosphere?

6 minutes ago, CHRIS WONG said:

What are your thoughts on cruising during the Christmas Holidays?

From a crew members point of view, it is by far the busiest time of the year. The ships are near enough full capacity every week, and there are a lot more activities to do onboard compared to the rest of the year.

I personally really enjoy being onboard for New Years Eve.

Do you think the ships are too busy, or does this contribute to the overall atmosphere?

Let's just say this is the FIRST and hopefully the LAST time I missed cruising for the holidays. Been doing it since I was 14 years of age and find it odd to be home.

I love sailing during the Holidays.  I was very disappointed when it was announced that  Grandeur would no longer do the 12 night Christmas + NY cruise, but of course, all of that is moot for this year, as it turns out.

I love simplifying my Holiday schedule and I love the decorated and festive ship(s).  I will miss it this year.  Luckily, we had the big move that has distracted us from it thus far.

For us, Christmas is for family, and there's a lot of us, so that will always be best at home.  However, we went on our first New Year's cruise in 2018 and while it was pricey, it definitely won't be our last. We loved it and we were totally planning another one before this covid mess.  We'll have to see what we can squeeze down the road.  And @CHRIS WONG, that New Year's cruise on Indy was where we had a chance to meet you! ?

We are planning on taking our first December cruise in the lead up to Christmas 2021. Whilst we will not be on board on Christmas Day itself we are flying across the pond to take a 12-night out of Bayonne, returning on Christmas Eve and then spending Christmas Day in New York (ever since Home Alone 2 was released my wife has been really keen to spend Christmas in a NY hotel ?).

Our boys will be 19 and 24 and are both in seemingly serious relationships so we suspect it may be the last time we holiday together as a family. ?

1 hour ago, Zacharius said:

You couldn't pay me enough to cruise during a major holiday or even a summer school break. My wife and I purposely travel during the times there are likely to be as few kids/families as possible. 

I am usually with you on this, but to @Allen2's point, Christmas is special in our household too so I am happy to break my own rule... but only for this one time of the year mind!

Christmas itself - probably not. I do like to spend that day with family and having all of the Christmas traditions. Just not compatible with being on a ship.

As for the Christmas holidays - absolutely! Outside of Christmas Day, I find the 2-3 weeks off as dull as dishwater and as it's freezing cold for several months in Scotland, I'd love to do a New Year's cruise. I reckon that would be great fun and a perfect opportunity for some much needed winter sun.

21 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We have a B2B on Symphony booked for Dec 21 that will cover both Christmas and NY. 16 days, total.

I just said I would love to cruise over Christmas and New Years....but as you point out it likely means a B2B.

32 minutes ago, Jax said:

I just said I would love to cruise over Christmas and New Years....but as you point out it likely means a B2B.

Even before the "global pause" in cruising, I think that Royal had eliminated every one of their extended Christmas + NY cruises.  I really think it is b/c they know they can sell 2 expensive cruises vs 1 expensive cruise.  Now it's B2B or nothing !  Secret:  I booked Holiday cruises on Empress for a VERY good price and then L&S them to Symphony.  Saved around 70%.  What a deal !  Glad I did it while I still could.  No more Empress (or Majesty) L&S !

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think that Royal had eliminated every one of their extended Christmas + NY cruises.  I really think it is b/c they know they can sell 2 expensive cruises vs 1 expensive cruise.

Completely agree.  Holidays carry a premium.  Why sell just one premium cruise when you can sell two premium cruises?

We took a couple when our son was younger, and we enjoyed them.   We found that the staff really took an interest in making the cruise a delight for children. However, we also missed going to church.

Now that we are retired and son has moved away, we don't go to church as much and will consider Christmas cruises.

2018 we did a cruise out of Tampa for a New Year's eve cruise. We were 24 hours late leaving Tampa due to fog so skipped Grand Cayman. Highlight was when captain pulled the ship up close to Cozumel and we could see the fireworks all along the coast while the captain laid on the horn.......... Like others, we have a relatively large family so being away Christmas day is not likely to happen.....

We cruise every other year over Christmas, the odd year when our grandson does not visit.  Our first one was when our children were around 15 years old  and it was I can buy you the normal junk or I can take you on this nice vacation on a cruise ship.  They voted and the cruise won.  They loved it.  It is probably the most expensive week to cruise, certainly one of them, but then so is every other vacation spot.  Can't wait to take the grand children!

We have really enjoyed 2 cruises during Christmas on Royal Caribbean ships!  Before our first Christmas cruise, we had trepidations about whether we might miss out on the spirit of Christmas. (We are Christian).  But with the plethora of beautiful Christmas decorations, the Christmas music and carols, and even Santa and elves on board, we felt filled with the holiday spirit.  

Note: But the Santa that surfed on Freedom of the Seas looked a little too thin. Ha