Michael Bayley as Empress and Majesty Crew Member?

In today's email informing us that Empress and Majesty OTS will be sold, Michael Bayley said that "The news hits close to home for me as well as I was part of the crew on Nordic Empress (as Empress was formerly called) and Majesty of the Seas when we introduced her to the world". What position did he hold as a crew member of the Empress and Majesty? Did he rise from cabin steward to CEO?

Steven

8 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

In today's email informing us that Empress and Majesty OTS will be sold, Michael Bayley said that "The news hits close to home for me as well as I was part of the crew on Nordic Empress (as Empress was formerly called) and Majesty of the Seas when we introduced her to the world". What position did he hold as a crew member of the Empress and Majesty? Did he rise from cabin steward to CEO?

Steven

I think it's all a ploy as he has to save face for so many statements that he's made during COVID and he has fallen flat. Rumor has it that he's been asked to step aside. I wonder if this is true, but in any event, I do believe we need someone in this position who is upfront and transparent with EVERYTHING with their loyal cruisers instead of "side-stepping" every single answer he gives.

I didn't hear this..but sad to see this...I was hoping to get on Empress before this happened but...

I feel the longer this goes on...the more of this we will see. No one thought 9 mths ago or maybe even 5 months ago Royal would be selling ships in 2021 to deal with Covid.....god help the cruise industry if the vaccine doesn't work(which already seems to have questions about how well it works and how long it lasts) or if there are further strains or mutations that cause more/new/different cases to break out and spread.

I find it quite contradictory how people quickly will say, well based on history this vaccine will work and we overcame this illness, epidemic, depression  etc, but they aren't willing or don't realize that alot of things changed in history as a result of these events. Could cruising be a thing of the past someday.....quite possibly if this doesn't change quickly.

7 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I didn't hear this..but sad to see this...I was hoping to get on Empress before this happened but...

I feel the longer this goes on...the more of this we will see. No one thought 9 mths ago or maybe even 5 months ago Royal would be selling ships in 2021 to deal with Covid.....god help the cruise industry if the vaccine doesn't work(which already seems to have questions about how well it works and how long it lasts) or if there are further strains or mutations that cause more/new/different cases to break out and spread.

I find it quite contradictory how people quickly will say, well based on history this vaccine will work and we overcame this illness, epidemic, depression  etc, but they aren't willing or don't realize that alot of things changed in history as a result of these events. Could cruising be a thing of the past someday.....quite possibly if this doesn't change quickly.

You probably can. Just do it before they are gone but I don't see any mention of the date.

9 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Whoops!! Spoke too soon!! According to RCG's website, Empress & Majesty have disappeared!!

image.thumb.png.ef106c3fada3af22daae9125f72f1654.png

3 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

I do believe we need someone in this position who is upfront and transparent with EVERYTHING with their loyal cruisers instead of "side-stepping" every single answer he gives.

Sorry, but that's not what a CEO does. As a fan, we want more info, but as a CEO, he has an obligation to the company's first and primary function: make money and deliver return to investors.  That's what every company does.

The transparency you seek would put the company's professional advantage at risk by divulging what they are thinking of doing before they do it.  Long term, this can lead to giving the competition an edge.

The bottom line is you're looking for something that no CEO will ever do.  Bayley is doing what any executive at his level can and should do, and talking about directives or policies that are not set in stone is setting yourself (and the company) up for disappointment.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Found it...

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalCaribbeanCAS/videos/255454192531076/

He worked in the printing department and as a purser.

I pulled out my passenger list from 1992 and he wasn't on it...I guess only on The Love Boat the purser was important enough to be introduced.  ?

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Sorry, but that's not what a CEO does. As a fan, we want more info, but as a CEO, he has an obligation to the company's first and primary function: make money and deliver return to investors.  That's what every company does.

The transparency you seek would put the company's professional advantage at risk by divulging what they are thinking of doing before they do it.  Long term, this can lead to giving the competition an edge.

The bottom line is you're looking for something that no CEO will ever do.  Bayley is doing what any executive at his level can and should do, and talking about directives or policies that are not set in stone is setting yourself (and the company) up for disappointment.

The transparency which I refer to is in reference to cancellations. For example, why cancel cruises after final payments when everyone knows what's coming down the pipe. Then, when cruise is cancelled, it became an unnecessary dilemma in which receiving a refund is a disaster and time consuming which could have been avoided by either pushing the final payment date (WHICH NCL DID)  and not forcing passengers to make final payment which just manipulated all the financial settings to make it look as if RCG was not in trouble.  Moreover, making statements to the fact that RCG is not looking into selling any ships, over and over again, when in fact RCG sold two ships and it was not done overnight. There were talks about these two particular ships on the selling block back in June. The CEO doesn't have to "show his hand" but under the current situation we are in, they should be upfront. NCL & Carnival have been upfront from day one. Neither CEO sugar-coated or side-stepped as RCG's CEO.

These are just a couple of transparencies that should have been more clear and direct. Inasmuch, owning stock in RCG, and I don't mean a measly 100 shares which most here probably have, as a shareholder, we ALL are also entitled to somewhat of an insight and their portfolio seemed over-speculative at times. Don't get me wrong as this situation were are currently in really bulked up those investment wallets in many people including me but those  who wait patiently and constantly cancelled and re-arrange their lives especially during this holiday season had to run around and make other arrangement.

No one is forced into making final payment.  Passengers can cancel, and it's actually in Royal's interest for you to cancel so they don't end up issuing FCCs with 125% of the value.  So again, Royal is doing the right thing financially for their company and their investors.  It's a game of chicken, who will cancel first.  Royal has clearly decided it is better for them to wait until after final payment to cancel.  Since that's been the pattern for months, I would say it's transparent, just not what you want to happen.

6 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

No one is forced into making final payment.  Passengers can cancel, and it's actually in Royal's interest for you to cancel so they don't end up issuing FCCs with 125% of the value.  So again, Royal is doing the right thing financially for their company and their investors.  It's a game of chicken, who will cancel first.  Royal has clearly decided it is better for them to wait until after final payment to cancel.  Since that's been the pattern for months, I would say it's transparent, just not what you want to happen.

That's your opinion on one fact. How about the others??

Crystal balls work perfectly in hindsight.  

As this situation evolves the cruise lines have to adapt and change their plans.  If there will be no cruising in 2021 or into early 2022 more ships will be sold.  They don't know that right now, no one knows that right now.  I don't think that will be the outcome but if we are hit with another surprise twist like learning the vaccines only work a few weeks or another dastardly trick from this virus that is a worst case scenario.  If I declare that outcome now I can proudly proclaim how I predicted it should it come to fruition and be known mid-2022.  That doesn't mean "we all knew it" and the CEO should have told us earlier.

Many executives around the world would have played their hand differently if they knew then what we all know now.  It doesn't work that way.

1 hour ago, KathyC said:

Mine has Michelle Martin playing the role of Gopher.  ?  It was there, I just missed it when scanning for Michael's name.  

Burl "Gopher" Smith was only an assistant purser. We never met the Chief Purser on the Pacific Princess (or any other ship that same group of characters sailed).

3 hours ago, KathyC said:

Mine has Michelle Martin playing the role of Gopher.  ?  It was there, I just missed it when scanning for Michael's name.  

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Burl "Gopher" Smith was only an assistant purser. We never met the Chief Purser on the Pacific Princess (or any other ship that same group of characters sailed).

You're both right. ? According to the Wikipedia article about the TV series:

• Fred Grandy as Your Yeoman Purser, Burl "Gopher" Smith (seasons 1–6), chief purser (seasons 7–9)

Can you imagine the uproar if passenger lists were offered today?

In 2019 I was lucky to be invited to the Captain's Table and Hotel Director's table on Empress.   The next day a very nice picture arrived in a leather booklet that included a photo of the dinner table and the names of the 8 guest participants.  A few months later I heard that someone complained and they had to stop including the names of the 8 participants in the photo.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:45 AM, princevaliantus said:

I do believe we need someone in this position who is upfront and transparent with EVERYTHING with their loyal cruisers instead of "side-stepping" every single answer he gives.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:58 AM, princevaliantus said:

The transparency which I refer to is in reference to cancellations. 

These are just a couple of transparencies that should have been more clear and direct.

I'm slightly confused on how what you're looking for from Mr Bayley .... 

He needs to be transparent about Everything with cruisers, or is it only when it comes to cancellations? Is it Everything or is it just a couple of transparencies? 

I feel like you are being pretty negative in a situation where no one knows what is going to happen. It is also very unproductive to state someone is Always or NEVER doing something(every single answer). I would guess RCG has changed plans 100 times already because they are trying to move and adapt the best they can in a terrible situation. I choose to be optimistic and hopeful that RCG is doing all they can to keep their business afloat while also doing their best to keep their customers as happy as possible. I also would like to extend as much grace as possible in this difficult time.