Sometime the cruise industry is its own worst enemy

Why would RC have an 84 year old on its first sailing out of Singapore.  I know he tested negative before the cruise and it was a false positive, but why would RC even take that risk to begin with.  Most Covid deaths are seniors and for whatever reason RC didn’t seem to care and decided to take that risk.  

if the cruise line keep taking risks like that in the beginning, it will be a long wait to cruise

14 minutes ago, Frank Brealin said:

Why would RC have an 84 year old on its first sailing out of Singapore.  I know he tested negative before the cruise and it was a false positive, but why would RC even take that risk to begin with.  Most Covid deaths are seniors and for whatever reason RC didn’t seem to care and decided to take that risk.  

if the cruise line keep taking risks like that in the beginning, it will be a long wait to cruise

Because you can't discriminate amongst your customer base? And what good would it do research wise if you only allowed healthy 25-35 yr olds for the foreseeable future. I don't think this forum would take too kindly to the latter.

There is zero community spread in Singapore and cruise lines are working very closely with the government to arrive at the guidelines they are using.  

Deciding to ban groups of people that the government isn't requiring be banned has its own set of implications.  It's known that certain demographics have higher impact.  Banning targeted members of a community based on race for example would be a disaster especially when no government is suggesting this approach.  

Men are getting hit harder.  Should all men be banned?

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is zero community spread in Singapore and cruise lines are working very closely with the government to arrive at the guidelines they are using.  

Deciding to ban groups of people that the government isn't requiring be banned has its own set of implications.  It's known that certain demographics have higher impact.  Banning targeted members of a community based on race for example would be a disaster especially when no government is suggesting this approach.  

Men are getting hit harder.  Should all men be banned?

Wasn't this a test run (sail)?  I think the company should have some latitude controlling as many variables as they can for test cruises like this.  Then they can gradually loosen control when the protocols are proven to work under controlled environments.  

My two cents

Thinking about this more, restaurants and bars have been identified as high risk for COVID spread.  The risk is so great that many state and local governments have either restricted them or closed them.    

Banning seniors would be like suggesting that bars and restaurants ban anyone over 65 even though no government or health agency is suggesting or requiring that.

What about Churches?  Should any church that is open ban seniors?

2 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

Wasn't this a test run (sail)?

No.  Singapore had no test cruise requirement.  These are scheduled cruises that any Singaporean could go to the website and book with a credit card business as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the cruise industry being vilified, while airlines do no testing and people who maybe infected go to the crowded airport without having to show any test results?  Why do restaurants (even with social distancing) not even take your temperature?  Why can you go to the grocery store or a big box store and there is no temperature check?  Why do some demand that schools reopen without providing PPEs for teachers.  But it is the cruise industry that is the villian.  

9 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

because the government is not happy with them.  They all register there ships outside the USA or Europe, to avoid taxes.  The CDC is targeting them for this. 

I understand that.  But the media is only focused on the emotions and not scientific facts.  When a passenger knowingly went to the airport and got on a flight even though they showed COVID-19 symptoms, the story was berried. But a passenger on Quantum of the Seas had a false positive test and the ship implemented their protocol, front page.   

Cruise lines should put their medical advisors n front of the science/medical reporters and not just the travel reporters.

9 minutes ago, SteelersNationVA said:

Cruise lines should put their medical advisors n front of the science/medical reporters and not just the travel reporters.

Agreed.  I think by April or May you will see the cruise lines start an advertising campaign talking up there safety and how covid is being taken care of...  Not sure of exactly what but I think we will see something, at least here in the States