The tide has turned...

7 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

No, just supports the awfulness of this virus and makes you wonder what may occur if the world did treat it as another flu. 

I also supports the indifference and apathy towards these safety measures and guidelines.  I haven't been in the States very long. I heard there was a similar reaction to seat belts when they were first implemented.

Never has heart disease, aspirin overdose, falling down stairs, etc, put the kind of pressure on hospitals where patients had to be put into hospital gift stores due to lack of actual hospital rooms in which to put patients.  You cannot compare an infectious disease to other most other medical problems.  In all of my years doing 911 I don't remember ever running out of ambulances so often or having so many hospitals tell them to divert because they were full, and they can't find anywhere to divert to.  That's the core of the problem.

10 hours ago, bretts173 said:

No, just supports the awfulness of this virus and makes you wonder what may occur if the world did treat it as another flu. 

Makes me wonder if we would have already moved on had the virus been allowed to just run its natural course like a standard flu (which is also a coronavirus, BTW).

This will be my last post on this topic.  It's no surprise that feelings run deep, and I'd rather focus on things that bring us together.

I think we can all be happy about the following:

1. The death rates have been far, far lower than the original forecasts

2. The vaccines mean the end is probably in sight

3. We will all be sailing again in the future!

On 12/21/2020 at 10:36 AM, monctonguy said:

Kinda how I feel...I was all ready to sign up for the vaccine if its going to allow me to travel, but it appears it will not be that simple. You can still get Covid for up to a month after??..plus you can spread it but not have it affect you???...so masks and social distancing and border closures are to be expected for months and months...probably most of 2021 at this point...and thats assuming nothing wacky happens..like issues with the vaccine..or delivery....or new strains/mutations.....

No rush here to get it either at this point...as nothing changes for me so its not worth the risk at this point...sad as it looks like 21 will be a wash....not sure the cruise industry can handle  another year of lock downs

Being able to catch / infect other people with a disease within a month of being vaccinated IS NOT NEW.  It takes a while for your body to build up antibodies to a new disease, and why babies / children need booster shots of a lot of them. For babies, it's partly because their immune systems are immature, and therefore can't respond with as robust a response to a vaccine.  The same happens with the elderly, or any immunocompromised patient. My older DD takes a medication for one of her conditions that has, as a side effect, immune lowering effects.  She's one reason I was vaccinated as soon as I could be -- to protect her and the rest of my family -- and she will be getting vaccinated as soon as I can arrange it -- partial immunity is better than nothing.  And, as another commenter mentioned, the more people vaccinated, the better - -it protects those people who can't get the vaccine, since spread is limited.  

Anti-vaxxers are one reason we've had measles outbreaks in the recent past.

Not trying to tell anyone what to do, but did want to drop my opinion and some info into this discussion.

15 hours ago, steverk said:

BTW, doesn't this support the point that the controls (i.e. masking, social distancing, lockdowns, etc.) are as ineffective as a medicine man doing a dance?

Actually, no.   If nothing else, my hospital's cases of flu admissions are WAAAAY down -- I don't recall a single pediatric admission this season yet, and that is extremely unusual for this time of year.  And that, I directly attribute to masking, social distancing, and remote schooling.

On 12/14/2020 at 10:26 AM, PG Cruiser said:

Getting emotional...

The first shots of the vaccine have been administered. THIS IS IT!!!  The tide has turned in the war against this Coronavirus!  Hoping this will fast track our return to cruising.

Praying against issues and complications.

I would say that a year from your post, we still wont be much further ahead from where we are now....no fast tracking to cruising.....

On 1/1/2021 at 1:30 AM, MaryCS62 said:

Actually, no.   If nothing else, my hospital's cases of flu admissions are WAAAAY down -- I don't recall a single pediatric admission this season yet, and that is extremely unusual for this time of year.  And that, I directly attribute to masking, social distancing, and remote schooling.

100%! Many countries have successfully controlled the virus based on those measures, and at the same time the flu season is almost non-existent. Anyone who says they don't work, is just plain wrong.

These countries only have cases from returned travellers, shame you can't lock your own citizens out, I mean they've had almost a year to get home. If it weren't for these people the virus would be eradicated altogether.