C&A double points

Am I correct that having a C&A number but never having cruised (thanks, 2020) means I would not be eligible for the double points on my first cruise? Our first cruise is scheduled for March 2022 (just saw that’s now included in double points) in a suite for 7 nights. I’m thinking if we took a three day cruise somewhere for the cheapest price possible first to qualify for gold, that would mean we’d be platinum by the end of that March cruise. Are the perks worth it? This is all crazy dreaming at this point anyway since my husband would likely look at me like I have three heads if I suggested this directly to him. Figured I’d try a more understanding crowd first! ?

Loyalty perks are seldomly worth chasing just for the perks.   

The most significant level most cruisers will reach is Diamond and to reach Diamond you have to progress through the lower levels including Platinum.  If that's your ultimate goal then this double points promo is a great way to climb the ladder faster but you should cruise because you like to cruise rather than just to reach some level in a loyalty program spending thousands of dollars in the process.  

For reference here are previous onboard offers for Gold and Platinum levels:

an_CASoffers-1.jpg

an_CASoffers-2.jpg

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

you should cruise because you like to cruise rather than just to reach some level in a loyalty program spending thousands of dollars in the process.  

That’s a great point. I’m just wondering if I could sneak in a long weekend getaway and then reap some benefits from that on our big family cruise. 

Speaking of family, I’d love the long weekend cruise to be just hubby and me. Is it problematic when you and your kids are at different C and A levels? Does it impact anything? 

4 minutes ago, cruisinnewbie said:

That’s a great point. I’m just wondering if I could sneak in a long weekend getaway and then reap some benefits from that on our big family cruise. 

Speaking of family, I’d love the long weekend cruise to be just hubby and me. Is it problematic when you and your kids are at different C and A levels? Does it impact anything? 

Once everyone has a C&A number you can have your children declared as dependents then they will have your level as you progress, until they turn 18 then they are frozen at whatever level they are at that point unless they continue cruising and earn the next level naturally.  

So if you reach Diamond before they turn 18 they currently will also be Diamond for life at a minimum.

Same with spouses in case your SO and you cruise at different times without each other.  A solo cruiser earns double points so in theory one of you could cruise on their own and earn double points or triple points if solo in a suite.  It has been suggested that the double points promo for 2021 and 2022 will further double this again so a solo in a junior suite who would normally earn 3 points per night may earn 6 points per night.  I'm a little skeptical that it will actually be awarded this way but that is what has been suggested.  Imagine 6 points per night for 7 nights = 42 points for one cruise. 

Once declared in a relationship both of you and your dependent children (< 18) will rise together even though only one of you actually cruised.

Just got a chuckle earlier this month while talking to a Loyalty rep who was moving our 1400 point "freeJS cruise" due to this last cancellation salvo. My point count is about triple that of my DW since she asked me to "stop dragging her along" several years ago. As much as I love it, she never got onboard with it (pun intended ;>)

Hope you enjoy the climb up the "C&A" ladder but I wholeheartedly agree that is should an integral part of strategizing rather than a primary focus.

• 5 weeks later...