What is one thing you have to buy on the ship?

RickinSTL

5 minutes ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

A ship name Tshirt is an absolute for Sheryl, if it is purple, so much the better.  My take away is 2 large bottles of Captain Morgan Private Reserve.

Atta boy Andy!! lol although I need to look for Havana Club Rum next time in in a non American port 

5 minutes ago, RickinSTL said:

Atta boy Andy!! lol although I need to look for Havana Club Rum next time in in a non American port 

I may have to follow you on that.  I did pick up some hand rolled havana cigars in Nassau.  They were astoundingly good. So I can't wait to get more.  Yes I know they are bad for me, but they are an occassional indulgence.

9 minutes ago, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

I may have to follow you on that.  I did pick up some hand rolled havana cigars in Nassau.  They were astoundingly good. So I can't wait to get more.  Yes I know they are bad for me, but they are an occassional indulgence.

I don't judge.. hell I smoke and drink lol 

6 minutes ago, RickinSTL said:

I don't judge.. hell I smoke and drink lol 

The good cigars are special.  One of those and a fine brandy in a crystal brandy balloon out on my pool deck 4 times a year. It is my "you made it" moment. I won't give the full tale of woe, suffice to say I was born into the slums of late 50s Liverpool and will retire in Florida.

36 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

For me, its the ship model. Started that collection a few years back. 

28 minutes ago, RickinSTL said:

That may be what we start next 

24 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Do it! My one regret is that we did not do it right from the start.

We have contemplated returning to ships we have cruised on previously.  There are always things we talk about relating to each ship (particularly Brilliance) and while the models arent exactly a motivator for rebooking on a previous ship, it is a bonus that we can pick up the models we didnt buy. 

We return to Navigator Sep 21, this time the model comes  home.  Serenade, Freedom and Brilliance to follow.

As long as it's a new ship for us, we buy a magnet and a Christmas tree ornament (if they have one). Our tchotchke cabinet is already full, so I've never been able to convince the missus to buy one of the regular ship models. ?

And then we take full advantage of the T-shirt sale to get either a port-specific or ship-specific shirt. Port ones only if we didn't find any we liked in the port's local shops.

7 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I want  to start collecting magnets or ornaments or something of the like for each new ship...but honestly they never quite scream to me when I'm on board.

BUT...I do always buy photos and somehow end up always buying something from the "street" sales.

I actually started my shot glass collection based on trying to find the cheesiest landmark image I could find (at an agreeable price). But the important thing was that I didn't overthink my purchases. And I think that if you're going to dive into the collecting hobby, that might help you get started. 

On 12/16/2020 at 7:03 PM, KWong said:

I actually started my shot glass collection based on trying to find the cheesiest landmark image I could find (at an agreeable price). But the important thing was that I didn't overthink my purchases. And I think that if you're going to dive into the collecting hobby, that might help you get started. 

We have the shot glass addiction too lol 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:03 PM, KWong said:

44 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I used to do the shot glasses and then they became a nuisance with where to put them; they were no more than dust collectors.  They went bye-bye with the move.

34 minutes ago, KWong said:

I keep saying that I'd try a DIY display. Clearly, that has yet to happen. 

We collect shot glasses from new places, could be from a country to state to museum and anything in between. Biggest issue we sometimes get a few because we like more than one.

We bought two shot glass holders from Michael's (it's a crafty DIY kind of store) that hold 36 glasses each. It's just about time for a third. Only issue they only hold a traditional shot glass so some sit on top of both. For the third I'll keep different sizes into consideration when shopping.

Think I might add cruise ships to the shot glass list, they are a place after all.

PXL_20201219_160226037.jpg

On 12/12/2020 at 9:38 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Do it! My one regret is that we did not do it right from the start.

We're regretting not buying the ship models, now trying to source them online, struggling for some of the older ships. My better half cannot resist the silver by the inch (no idea), me I do like a watch sale

On 12/12/2020 at 8:59 PM, JLMoran said:

As long as it's a new ship for us, we buy a magnet and a Christmas tree ornament (if they have one). Our tchotchke cabinet is already full, so I've never been able to convince the missus to buy one of the regular ship models. ?

And then we take full advantage of the T-shirt sale to get either a port-specific or ship-specific shirt. Port ones only if we didn't find any we liked in the port's local shops.

Same here.  I have a huge fleet of ships on the fridge and on the Christmas tree, and my family can all dress in cruise ship t-shirts for days...