I had the strangest dream... and you were all there

cruisinnewbie

So this is probably weird to post since I read this blog WAY more than I post so I feel like I know all of you and you have no idea who I am, but... I couldn’t resist. I had a dream last night that for some reason, only my scheduled Anthem cruise (March 2022) was allowed to sail right now. I was SO excited to do a live blog here, and I kept telling my family how happy you would all be to see the pics and hear our experiences. We were at the port and I almost missed the cruise because I was taking pictures of every single thing for this live blog. I woke up super disappointed that it wasn’t real. Apparently thinking about our first Royal cruise and our first star class cruise has been the only thing keeping me going these days and my subconscious wanted to get going! Anyway, just sharing for a laugh. Happy Saturday!

I don't always remember my dreams but I had a cruise dream about a month ago.

I was boarding a ship that was 5 minutes from my house.  The ship was supposed to depart at 4pm but they started boarding at 8am as I was driving my car past the port so I thought I'd check in, get on board and take some pictures then go home and grab my suitcase.  Once on board I am walking around taking pictures.  It was cold at this port.  Snow everywhere, water frozen around the ship.  I didn't have my coat because I was just going to check in, pop on board, then go home for my stuff.  

I was trying to go live on Periscope but I couldn't type the title of the broadcast.  Autocorrect kept changing it to something weird.  That won't work and this went on and on.  I was getting frustrated as this was going to be an epic cruise, during the pandemic when no ships were supposed to be sailing.  I'm on a ship but I can't get Periscope to work.  There were all sort of media and others around me, bumping into me, when I realized I wasn't wearing a mask and few others were. 

The Captain came on the PA and announced since everyone was on board we would be leaving at 10am, in 3 minutes time.  Crap, I don't have my stuff, I don't have a coat, I just have what I'm wearing.  Then the ship started moving.  Why can't I type in Periscope?   I'm missing the sail away. 

As part of the celebration of this epic cruise during the pandemic children are ice skating outside on the frozen sea around the ship and the the ship is breaking through the ice as we depart.  The children were right beside the ship but they didn't appear to be in any danger.  How are these children ice skating right beside the ship?     That can't be safe I remember thinking.  Why can't I get Periscope to work? This would be epic on Periscope.  

Suddenly I'm dealing with my cabin and I couldn't get my door open.  I went to a table on the pool deck where a crew member was dealing with cabins and they said quite a few people had to get new cabins so they gave me a new cabin on the spot.  It was 8652 or something like that.  I remember thinking that doesn't make sense, there are no 86XX cabins on this ship class.  The crew member reassured me that was my cabin.  Okay I thought, that must be my cabin.  He also said my stuff was waiting for me in my cabin which was odd because I hadn't brought my suitcase with me and he just picked me this new cabin from a print out he had.  How did they know to put my stuff in this cabin if they just gave me this cabin assignment?  It didn't make sense but he assured me it would be there.  Cabins weren't ready yet so I couldn't go to see what stuff I had.

From an upper deck I see the ship continuing to break through the ice as we sailed down a frozen fjord away from port.  Children were now skating on the ice behind the ship as it was refreezing in our wake.  It's like the children were chasing the ship, on skates, behind us on the frozen sea.  I remember thinking this was all so strange.

Then I woke up.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

I don't always remember my dreams but I had a cruise dream about a month ago.

I was boarding a ship that was 5 minutes from my house.  The ship was supposed to depart at 4pm but they started boarding at 8am as I was driving my car past the port so I thought I'd check in, get on board and take some pictures then go home and grab my suitcase.  Once on board I am walking around taking pictures.  It was cold at this port.  Snow everywhere, water frozen around the ship.  I didn't have my coat because I was just going to check in, pop on board, then go home for my stuff.  

I was trying to go live on Periscope but I couldn't type the title of the broadcast.  Autocorrect kept changing it to something weird.  That won't work and this went on and on.  I was getting frustrated as this was going to be an epic cruise, during the pandemic when no ships were supposed to be sailing.  I'm on a ship but I can't get Periscope to work.  There were all sort of media and others around me, bumping into me, when I realized I wasn't wearing a mask and few others were. 

The Captain came on the PA and announced since everyone was on board we would be leaving at 10am, in 3 minutes time.  Crap, I don't have my stuff, I don't have a coat, I just have what I'm wearing.  Then the ship started moving.  Why can't I type in Periscope?   I'm missing the sail away. 

As part of the celebration of this epic cruise during the pandemic children are ice skating outside on the frozen sea around the ship and the the ship is breaking through the ice as we depart.  The children were right beside the ship but they didn't appear to be in any danger.  How are these children ice skating right beside the ship?     That can't be safe I remember thinking.  Why can't I get Periscope to work? This would be epic on Periscope.  

Suddenly I'm dealing with my cabin and I couldn't get my door open.  I went to a table on the pool deck where a crew member was dealing with cabins and they said quite a few people had to get new cabins so they gave me a new cabin on the spot.  It was 8652 or something like that.  I remember thinking that doesn't make sense, there are no 86XX cabins on this ship class.  The crew member reassured me that was my cabin.  Okay I thought, that must be my cabin.  He also said my stuff was waiting for me in my cabin which was odd because I hadn't brought my suitcase with me and he just picked me this new cabin from a print out he had.  How did they know to put my stuff in this cabin if they just gave me this cabin assignment?  It didn't make sense but he assured me it would be there.  Cabins weren't ready yet so I couldn't go to see what stuff I had.

From an upper deck I see the ship continuing to break through the ice as we sailed down a frozen fjord away from port.  Children were now skating on the ice behind the ship as it was refreezing in our wake.  It's like the children were chasing the ship, on skates, behind us on the frozen sea.  I remember thinking this was all so strange.

Then I woke up.

? I also had a bunch of confusing moments, like wondering why no one was wearing a mask and deciding to leave the ship to run home and pack some extra toiletries. Dream logic is amazing. 

This sounds a lot like my DH who often has very vivid dreams about cruises. I don't know he manages to remember them in so much detail, but they very often involve his mother who, despite being 87 and never having cruised or even travelled abroad in her life, has come along for the ride, normally bringing her pots, pans, garden produce and home-made chorizo sausages from home because she's convinced the food on board will be inedible and she will have to cook! ? 

This is very similar to a recurring dream that I have (sorry.  This has no ship association at all!).  My recurring dream concept is that I cannot get to where I’m going or find something that I’m looking for.  I wander around and keep getting lost or looking for something that I never find.  Back in the college days, I was constantly looking for a classroom that I was supposed to be going to and just couldn’t find it. I’m sure there’s some deep-seeded mommy issues in there somewhere. 

....and then there’s the occasional dream where I forget to put on my pants before I go out so I guess that’s my equivalent to your getting on the cruise ship without you bags.  At least you had a sound reason for getting on the ship early.  Too bad you couldn’t get that Periscope going.  I was waiting for it...

My weirdest dream is that whenever I'm stressed out about something, I dream of wasps. The more stressed I am, the more numerous the wasps I see and sometimes there are even giant hives of the damn things. Thank God for CBD oil, or in these times I'd be waking every morning looking to see how many new stings and bites I've gotten.

Well, I have yet to have a dream where I am on a cruise. But I have had a couple of dreams where I won a very large state lottery and the first thing I purchased was a cruise ship (like I said it was a VERY large lottery). And you would think my wife would have been happy, but, oh no. All she wanted was the Taj Mahal, a couple of new cars and jewelry. An argument ensued because I told her she was being so materialistic and she started to hit me. That's when I woke up from her hitting my arm and saying STOP SNORING! ?

I sometimes have cruise-related dreams and thought maybe I was the only one! I have these recurring ones where I'm on a cruise, and it's the last day and as I'm packing, I try to remember back each day of activities, what I did, where we were, etc. only I can't remember all of the days, and I realize I missed them somehow, they never happened, and that I didn't get the full cruise, yet they're making me pack and leave. I end up packing still folded clothes, clean clothes, and stuff I never used. I panic because now it will be another year before I can go again and I missed everything. It's very nerve-wracking! 

On 12/12/2020 at 9:14 PM, JLMoran said:

My weirdest dream is that whenever I'm stressed out about something, I dream of wasps. The more stressed I am, the more numerous the wasps I see and sometimes there are even giant hives of the damn things. Thank God for CBD oil, or in these times I'd be waking every morning looking to see how many new stings and bites I've gotten.

And having mentioned this, I woke up early this morning with a little shout as I dreamed something stung my shoulder (and felt some phantom pain there for a moment).

Holiday stress. Amirite?

Oh, and I learned why I specifically dream about wasps when I was in my 30s. My mom finally got around to telling me that as a baby, she came into my room one day to find the screen window had come partly open and a bunch of wasps had flown into the room. They were crawling all over me, and I was not a happy camper! She didn't mention if I'd been stung much / at all, but doesn't matter. To this day, I hate wasps / bees / hornets / flies / anything that goes "buzz" in real life as much as when I'm asleep.