Face masks at sea.

CHRIS WONG

23 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

Why?   If the vaccine is 95% effective then why would  anyone have to be forced to wear a mask?  It does not make any sense.  If I get the "shots" then why would I wear a mask.  There is no logic to this.

95% effectiveness is based on trial numbers of becoming "sick" or symptomatic.  This means you could still become infected and spread it.  That is why masks will still be required in the early releases of the vaccine.  Once the population has been vaccinated or we see a huge drop in COVID hospitalization, is when masks may not be mandatory.  So in theory, if the majority of the population gets vaccinated, it will eventually work towards herd immunity.

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Simple fact is the world has changed forever, things will never be like they were before.

I don't think so. After the 1918 pandemic, things were the way they were before very quickly.

Human nature has not changed in a mere one hundred years. We will eventually be back to maskless cruising. It's just a matter of how long it will take. 

1 hour ago, PaulRC said:

Why?   If the vaccine is 95% effective then why would  anyone have to be forced to wear a mask?  It does not make any sense.  If I get the "shots" then why would I wear a mask.  There is no logic to this.

Click the link.... the virus is mutating!!!!

So if as has been suggested by experts and reports in the link state, that this virus WILL and is changing and may change every year just like the flu virus then why would companies relax the wearing of facemasks? 

18 minutes ago, Cakemeister said:
2 hours ago, Ray said:

Like it or not facemasks will be part of the new norm for a good while yet be it on land or sea!

We will eventually be back to maskless cruising. It's just a matter of how long it will take. 

Isnt that what i said in 1st paragraph? FOR A GOOD WHILE YET! I never said forever 

1 hour ago, PaulRC said:

Masks will be required until the pandemic is declared "over" by the WHO and CDC. The vaccine is 95% effective in preventing illness due to COVID 19. Whether or not a vaccinated person could still be a carrier and therefore spread COVID has not been studied. Cruising without a mask will occur in the 2nd half of 2021. 

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Thing is its not just cruiseships! Like it or not facemasks will be part of the new norm for a good while yet be it on land or sea!

Right now if you want to go into town by bus or taxi facemasks must be worn, you go for something to eat you need a facemask when you enter the premises, you go for a beer or 6 you need a mask!

Can't compare a trip on public transport to a cruise of several days. A ticket to Glasgow from my local station costs £4.10 and the journey lasts 20 minutes at most. A 5 nighter on Adventure out of Barcelona costs £726. Similarly not comparable to wearing a face mask for 10 mins at a hotel lobby or while waiting briefly for a queue at a cafe or restaurant. I travel by public transport and visit cafes pretty much every day, wearing a mask to get there is nowhere near comparable to spending nearly a thousand pounds for a half baked cruise.

28 minutes ago, loki007 said:

Masks will be required until the pandemic is declared "over" by the WHO and CDC. The vaccine is 95% effective in preventing illness due to COVID 19. Whether or not a vaccinated person could still be a carrier and therefore spread COVID has not been studied. Cruising without a mask will occur in the 2nd half of 2021. 

Lol, we don't even know for certain that there will be cruising in 2021

6 hours ago, FLGooner said:

Wear a mask, luckily I'm a Brit so don't have to worry about my "rights" being infringed.

wasn't there a revolution a few years ago that dealt with that?

Anyway...there will be masks mandated, v a ( ( inez mandated...the whole nine yards so the lawyers can be held at bay at every mention of a positive case, and to soften the blow of sensationalistic headlines. It's not about health or avoiding infection.

58 minutes ago, Ray said:

Click the link.... the virus is mutating!!!!

So if as has been suggested by experts and reports in the link state, that this virus WILL and is changing and may change every year just like the flu virus then why would companies relax the wearing of facemasks? 

An example of the mutation - during a stretch of late November when the NFL's Baltimore Ravens had 19 players, coaches, and staff test positive there were at least FOUR different strains identified.

6 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Do Royal actually expect anyone (other than the most ardent cruisers - and let's be real, the majority who post on cruise forums fall into this category) to dish out thousands of pounds/dollars/whatever other currency to go on a cruise where they can't explore ports on their own, have to distance from other guests, have to wear face coverings everywhere on the ship and risk being imprisoned in a cabin if someone even tests positive for a virus?

I know it sucks for the industry big time but let's be realistic.

Personal choice, you follow the health guidelines or you stay home. Some people more than happy to, they really dont care about the others who dont and choose to stay home.

9 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Can't compare a trip on public transport to a cruise of several days. A ticket to Glasgow from my local station costs £4.10 and the journey lasts 20 minutes at most. A 5 nighter on Adventure out of Barcelona costs £726. Similarly not comparable to wearing a face mask for 10 mins at a hotel lobby or while waiting briefly for a queue at a cafe or restaurant. I travel by public transport and visit cafes pretty much every day, wearing a mask to get there is nowhere near comparable to spending nearly a thousand pounds for a half baked cruise.

You missed my point....you asked can RC expect things the answer is no they can only hope! They like the taxi drivers or bus companies, the small cafe you get lunch, hotels, airlines, bars and restaurants,basically every business going cannot expect people to use them they can only hope! 

Its not these companies setting the rules or guidelines its the CDC or local governments who are saying this or that must be done.

The cost is irrelevant if people dont sail cruiselines close their doors which is the same for local cafes or taxi companies if people dont use their services, so no RC cannot expect they can only hope.

If these companies say we are not operating until this virus is gone then they will go bust, companies must keep going best they can just to keep their doors open, and in doing this they need to follow guidelines whether we like it or not.

If we dont like it we don't do it....simple 

10 hours ago, Cakemeister said:

I don't think so. After the 1918 pandemic, things were the way they were before very quickly.

I can see the high flying executive back in 1918 sitting in an airport lounge hooked up to the free wifi reading about the daily death toll or conspiracy theories while they wait to jet across the world

And i am 100% certain that be it 5, 10 or 50 years the next virus's to come out of Asia will be treated the same as all the ones previous to 2020 IE Airlines wont bother with masks, people wont think " please god not another 2020" 

Because the world be it how companies operate or how people think wont change ?

10 hours ago, Ray said:

I can see the high flying executive back in 1918 sitting in an airport lounge hooked up to the free wifi reading about the daily death toll or conspiracy theories while they wait to jet across the world

And i am 100% certain that be it 5, 10 or 50 years the next virus's to come out of Asia will be treated the same as all the ones previous to 2020 IE Airlines wont bother with masks, people wont think " please god not another 2020" 

Because the world be it how companies operate or how people think wont change ?

That's funny!

The 1918 executive is in a field and sees a cage of carrier pigeons marked "Free Wi-Fi". Then he gets into the back seat of a biplane. Two hours later, he's at his destination, 100 miles away. Express service!

Your other comments are spot on. Human nature doesn't change. 

11 minutes ago, SandyW said:

I know enough about this top to decline on wearing a mask, or getting a vax or getting traced while on board.  Cruising is the most social vacation there is.  With these mandates in place, I will not cruise until all 3 mentioned are removed.

It could be a very LONG time before you cruise again, if ever.

1 hour ago, SandyW said:

I know enough about this top to decline on wearing a mask, or getting a vax or getting traced while on board.  Cruising is the most social vacation there is.  With these mandates in place, I will not cruise until all 3 mentioned are removed.

There are cameras covering literally every inch of the ship, they can find you whenever they want

4 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

That's not why they were masks.  They were them as a courtesy to others.  

Have to agree with @mworkman on this one. It is a norm for residents of larger Asian cities to wear masks to reduce the amount of pollution they inhale. Wearing masks to reduce the spread of Covid-19 isn't really a "thing" there because so many people already wore them.

In the US, very few people wore masks regularly before it became a governmental mandate. Most of those you saw wearing them before March 2020 - older women of Asian descent.

4 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

It is a norm for residents of larger Asian cities to wear masks to reduce the amount of pollution they inhale.

I can't speak for all of Asia but I lived in Japan for 7 years and my wife was born there and lived there until she was 20. Her entire family still lives there and this is not why they tell me that they were masks, but I guess the point is not important.

I am starting to fear long term for the viability of cruising....there are so many tangents and implications from this issue, that it may be too much for it to overcome......

Based on what I have seen so far, its concerning whether or not cruising will be available vacation option in the next few years or ever. This virus and the response has turned almost everything we knew and were used to upside down..its not merely a inconvenience that will eventually go away.....these changes and problems/issues are here long term and probably to stay...

@monctonguyIf the vaccine works and the Major countries, US, UK, AU, CA... I know there is more but not the point, get mostly inoculated this year then why would most everything not go back to the real norm not this BS "New norm" people are willing to accept?   Even if they discover in wide usage that the vaccine is not 95% but only 85% it is still enough to allow normalcy.  Hell how effective is the flu shot every year?  I think its about 60% and how many people die from the flu each year IN the US its around 60K.  I get it COVID is much worse at this point but after "the shot" will it be?

Just me $0.02.

I base it on the experience and facts so far..nothing has worked...lock downs, masks, distancing, flaten the curve, circuit -break resets etc......and we are all for the most part doing worse than ever with the pandemic....minus China of course for some reason..

The goal posts keep changing....the rules, the regulations, the expectations, the restrictions....what people accept and believe and are willing to live with for the good of society and everyone else.....another few months and it will be different and probably worse again....

I hope i am wrong...after 9 months of this not yet though.

20 hours ago, SandyW said:

The vaccination is the only thing that will stop the masking, social distancing, cancelled cruises, closed restaurants, closed everything. Its totally safe and I plan to get mine Friday when my hospital receives its shipment. Until 70% of the population is vaccinated your life will never return to normal. 

19 hours ago, loki007 said:

The vaccination is the only thing that will stop the masking, social distancing, cancelled cruises, closed restaurants, closed everything. Its totally safe and I plan to get mine Friday when my hospital receives its shipment. Until 70% of the population is vaccinated your life will never return to normal. 

We're lucky that we do have a vaccine but hypothetically, if we didn't, do you think that would mean the world would continue the way it has for the last 9 months for years? I'm 100% certain that the public wouldn't take it eventually, indeed compliance with many rules in the UK are low currently, especially compared to Spring.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:48 PM, Joe01 said:

, if we didn't, do you think that would mean the world would continue the way it has for the last 9 months for years? 

NO!!!

Economically the world cannot afford to continue as it has for the past 9 months, look at all of the businesses closing down, people being made redundant etc 

If things were to continue as is then every day/week or month more people would be impacted be it financially, mentally or health.

Right now the UK Government is bailing everyone out the best they can with furlough payments, grants or loans but at what cost? 

Tax increase for those still employed in April? 

Of course we have the 5 day free for all over xmas to look forward to before we have to suffer another lockdown causing even more misery! 

On 12/16/2020 at 3:24 PM, loki007 said:

Good luck with that.  I have done the research and I will not be getting it.

Face mask are such a joke anyway.  They are to appease the masses and not to do anything about the virus,  The size of covid 19 is about 125 nm (0.125 microns).  The typical N95 mask bocks 95%+ of Airborne Particles 0.3 Microns or Larger .  That's 2.4 times the size of the covid virus, and that's an N95.  My guess is the cheap disposable blue masks  are not as good, and cloth masks are even worse that those.  Don't believe me do a 5 min google search and find the truth your self.

12 minutes ago, PaulRC said:

Face mask are such a joke anyway.  They are to appease the masses and not to do anything about the virus,  The size of covid 19 is about 125 nm (0.125 microns).  The typical N95 mask bocks 95%+ of Airborne Particles 0.3 Microns or Larger .  That's 2.4 times the size of the covid virus, and that's an N95.  My guess is the cheap disposable blue masks  are not as good, and cloth masks are even worse that those.  Don't believe me do a 5 min google search and find the truth your self.

"Don't believe me do a 5 min google search and find the truth your self."

Truly a quote for our times.