Carnival Cancels Select Sailings Into Fall 2021, New Refurb Dates

My worthless speculation says RCG group will to roll out slowly, which mean more cancellations are coming.  However, I'm optimistic that the cancellations will not be fleet wide, but based on when each ship can resume sailing.

This would mean lots of cancellations in March and tapering off over some unknown length of time as more ships sail.

As far as how RCG will address drydocks, I have no idea!

As I read this article, my interpretation is that they have these two specific ships that are basically due for mandatory dry dock along with scheduled refurbishments, and they've made the decision to wait until the refurb work can be done. Not unlike what happened with Allure, but there Royal made the call to defer refurbishment while still completing the technical dry dock and keeping her able to sail.

Given that past decision, I don't think this particular kind of cancellation will be done by Royal. My recollection is that on their last quarterly call, or maybe in one of those travel agent-focused video calls, they indicated they're pushing all / most all major refurb work back by at least a couple of years now, in order to conserve cash.

Why do people on these boards presume that just about every cruise article that comes out is nothing but doom and gloom for the industry. Here's a positive spin. I read the article and it makes complete sense what Carnival is doing. It's only 3 ships that were going to be out for refurb anyway. And besides their entire fleet (not to mention RCG's fleet) was not all going to start up immediately after the cdc gives the green light anyway. Allure of the Seas and Explorer of the Seas got their technical drydock maintenance done this year and their respective amplifications will get done eventually. From what I can see Liberty of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas were next in line to be amplified in 2021. We all know that's not going to happen, but I'm sure the technical drydock maintenance will be done on those ships when it has to be.

1 hour ago, USFFrank said:

Why do people on these boards presume that just about every cruise article that comes out is nothing but doom and gloom for the industry.

I'm fairly certain @WAAAYTOOO was joking.  

The post about CCL is a modification to the original announcement several months ago.  At the time I commented somewhere that it is smart fleet management.  Why sail a ship across the ocean to perform a month of half capacity cruises only to sail back across the ocean for a refresh and drydock.  Presumably as this has dragged on the math hasn't changed for these ships and shipyards are not working at normal capacity possibly delaying the opportunity to get mandatory maintenance done.  It remains to be the most logical business decision given the cards on the table.

Like I said at the time, I'm sure it is disappointing for these guests to have cruises cancelled but unfortunately that is this pandemic. 

32 minutes ago, mattymay said:

I'm now on the Mardi Gras Inaugural, however will obviously not be able to leave the country to get there even if it does go ahead. I was really hoping they would cancel our sailing! Just missed it...lol. Damn.

Buy a row boat and start rowing.  It might take 8 or 9 months but no hurry, cruising here isn't starting for a while.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Buy a row boat and start rowing.  It might take 8 or 9 months but no hurry, cruising here isn't starting for a while.  

All I ask is for them to delay one extra week! I mean why would they even start on the 24th April? 1st of May has a way better ring to it! New month, fresh start, return my money!