Experiences with Star Class?

Hi everyone and happy holidays!  We just signed up for this blog! My name is Drew.  My husband Rob and I are big cruising fans and are doing more RCCL cruises as of late. We are big Celebrity fans but it is always fun to try different things! It’s still far out, but we are booked on the Anthem 9 Night February 11th cruise out of Cape Liberty. I am dying to know what blogger’s experiences are with star class. We booked a grand loft. What is the best part of a royal genie? How can that person make an anniversary celebration extra special? Any insider tips with Star Class? 

Thanks!

Drew and Rob

Welcome to the boards.  Our first cruise with Royal was star class on Anthem  last Christmas and we stayed in GLS 10320.  Here is the link to my blog that may give you some insights into the genie and some of our favourite star class perks.  I can think of several great star class blogs you may want to read...if you search star class, it may pull them up. 
Soak it all up and enjoy every moment! 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/16651-first-time-star-class-8-night-holiday-bahamas-cruise-anthem-122019/

Welcome, Drew! The Royal Genie is fantastic! They'll be in touch with you not too long before your cruise to see how they can help, but they are also there to help along the way. If you want anything special for your anniversary, I'm sure they can make that happen, and I am also sure they have ideas on what kind of things will work. 

Thank you all for your help!!! I know it is a while away but we are so needing to cruise again LOL.  The research and discussions are keeping us excited LOL.  We both work in healthcare so we are WAYYYYY overdue for a vacay.  That is one of the main reasons we treated ourselves to a suite.  We are in Grand Loft suite 8724 on the Anthem.  Has anyone been in this suite?  I have heard about some potential noise coming from Two70 but I would like to hear other's opinions on the room.  Again, your input is so appreciated.  We are glad to be new bloggers!!!

Drew 

Drew and Rob from Delaware

I just booked 8724 last week and the feedback from the SC community (regarding the noise from 270) was enough to make me switch to Deck 10 within an hour of booking. That being said, if Deck 8 is where you want to be, any SC suite is fantastic. And for us, it is a European cruise so we know that we are going to have early mornings. If for your sailing, you think you will be up later anyway, the noise from 270 might not even be a factor.

Hey, Drew.  

Yes !  We were in 8724.  Here is the link to that non-live Blog  

Sorry.  I don't know how to make it just a link.  UGH

Anyway...8724 is awesome !  I loved that suite so much.  Yes, there is noise bleed from 270....so just be prepared for that.  There was noise bleed up on deck 10 as well but it wasn't as bad as it was on 8.

@WAAAYTOOO Thank you for the input regarding the suite!  We stay out pretty late so I feel we should be ok based upon what you said in your blog.  Your blog is such a great read, btw! LOL BTW, is anyone aware of a refit for Anthem?  I read some things online but nothing concrete.  

Thank you!

Drew

27 minutes ago, Drewtastic86 said:

BTW, is anyone aware of a refit for Anthem? 

No major changes expected.  All ships are required to drydock for marine maintenance every 5 years.  That is why she was going to drydock.  

They may do some small changes.  When I was on her in January there were rumors the Concierge Lounge would get a new sign and be labeled as a Suite Lounge.   Another rumor was that the Diamond Lounge would be expanded consuming a section of the Music Hall upstairs.  Rumors are cheap and often prove unreliable.  

Anthem is in great shape.  They were replacing carpet in the Windjammer in January so they are constantly doing things like this even outside of drydock.  

We were on the last Anthem sailing before the cancellations and I did a recap of our cruise under the Live Blog section of the message boards (I can't figure out how to paste the link).

Star class is amazing and we stayed in 10324 which was phenomenal.  Take a look through my recap as I summarized what our Genie did for us.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

1.  Genie - special access and personal service 

2.  All inclusive (dining package +, drinks package +)

3.  The SUITE !

+1 on all three!

If Hubby were answering this, he would agree with @Jax and say the laundry.  I don't care about that cause I don't trust anyone with my clothes lol.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

+1 on all three!

If Hubby were answering this, he would agree with @Jax and say the laundry.  I don't care about that cause I don't trust anyone with my clothes lol.

I still laugh about the story of your hubby getting the laundry ready ..... only to learn the service wasn’t free. Lol

Thank you everyone?  I am sorry for all the questions but I am a more well versed Celebrity Cruiser than Royal so I am somewhat of a novice here.  I have seen a few people mention Facebook groups?  which do you suggest?  Is it a similar situation to CC roll call? @WAAAYTOOO @Lovetocruise2002 @Jax I have enjoyed reading your blogs!  I need more material regarding star class lol.  

Drew 

Drew and Rob

18 minutes ago, Drewtastic86 said:

Is Wonderland worth visiting?

Wonderland is definitely worth trying.  We did not care for it but many love it.  It is very unique.  If you are into really unusual food presentation, it will be a very good experience.  If you are more of a traditional eater (we both are) then it will seem very bizarre.

If you're going to be SC now is the time to try it - when it doesn't cost you anything extra !!

We do enjoy "The World" dessert, so we will sometimes have dinner somewhere else and just pop by Wonderland for dessert.  You can do that if you are SC or even if you just have the UDP.

I would say try it once, especially since it's included with Star.  We did it once, did not think it would really be our thing and it wasn't really.  But we have no regrets about trying.  The whole thing is an experience in itself.  The one thing we love there is "The World" dessert.  We even had our Genie arrange it so that we could just have that after dinner without having to eat dinner there.

5 hours ago, Drewtastic86 said:

Is Wonderland worth visiting?

For me it's worth a dinner if you have the Unlimited Dining Package or are in Star Class.  I wouldn't pay full price for it and I probably wouldn't chose it for with a multiple night dining package either.  I am an adventurous eater with no food aversion so I had no issues with it.  

I really appreciate this information! I am going to keep asking questions up until the actual cruise LOL.  Buuuutttttt......I was so inspired by the live blogs I have read, that I have decided to create our own when it is closer to sail date.   

Another dining question while I am on the topic.  Rob and I have done Chef's table once before (we paid for it).  We like experiences and wine pairings, so it was great....However, I have heard that the menu does not rotate much.  I would think it should but that is not my question per se.  My question is three fold. 1) Am I correct in saying that the wine pairing is not included even with Star Class? 2)  I think want to book Chef's Table for our anniversary dinner we are planning to celebrate on Valentine's Day.  Since we are Star Class, do you think I could have enough "pull" to have a private Chef's Table just for the two of us (doubt it)?  3) Could they set up a Chef's Table experience in our suite?

Maybe this is an excessive request but I wanted to see if any has coordinated something like this.  

I WISH IT WAS NOT 424 DAYS AWAY!!!!

Drew 

Drew and Rob

Chefs Table is included in Star Class.  You would be charged $25 PP for the upgraded wine.  

I would not expect them to arrange a private Chefs Table but to be fair, I have never heard of anyone asking for it, either.  Even though the CT is included for SC, it is considered a “special event” and is a revenue generator.  I don’t imagine that they would arrange a private CT with no opportunity to create any revenue.

51 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Chefs Table is included in Star Class.  You would be charged $25 PP for the upgraded wine.  

I would not expect them to arrange a private Chefs Table but to be fair, I have never heard of anyone asking for it, either.  Even though the CT is included for SC, it is considered a “special event” and is a revenue generator.  I don’t imagine that they would arrange a private CT with no opportunity to create any revenue.

I figured as much @WAAAYTOOObut a boy can dream LMAO. I think I have visions of genies granting my wishes, dancing in my head!!!

@Drewtastic86, if you enjoy wine, ask your Genie to set up a private wine tasting at Vintages.  Some in our group did it and there was a charge of $75pp for it but my SIL stated that one of the bottles they sampled was over $500 and she learned so much about different wines.  On the last night, our Genie surprised them and comped the wine tasting charges (didn't expect it but we were super appreciative that she did).

6 hours ago, jaullram said:

@Drewtastic86, if you enjoy wine, ask your Genie to set up a private wine tasting at Vintages.  Some in our group did it and there was a charge of $75pp for it but my SIL stated that one of the bottles they sampled was over $500 and she learned so much about different wines.  On the last night, our Genie surprised them and comped the wine tasting charges (didn't expect it but we were super appreciative that she did).

@jaullram Thank you for this information.  We love wine experiences and this may be a great way to celebrate our Anniversary.  DH (I think that stands for Dear Husband???) will absolutely love the private wine tasting.  Even if I do have to pay for it in the end, I will definitely set this up with our Genie.

Thanks again!

Drew

Drew & Rob

• 7 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 8:03 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

@WAAAYTOOO can you explain the Chefs Table experience? Where, how, who? I see the menu but with my shellfish allergy I don't want to be causing drama either. Thanks so much!

It is always a fixed menu but I know that they make allowances for food allergies.  I really think all you have to do is let them know ahead of time what your food allergies are and they will make sure you are accommodated.  They are really good about it.  I wouldn't worry and I certainly wouldn't think it would be adding any drama unless you spring it on them unannounced....which I know you would never do !

For SC, the CT itself is complimentary.  The only thing you pay is $25PP for the upgraded wine.  We have always enjoyed CT. The last time we did a CT was on the first half of our Anthem B2B SC cruises in Feb 2019.  We met some really fun people at the dinner whom we invited back to our suite for a kind of impromptu party.  It was so much fun.

The Genie just makes the arrangement for you like he/she does for all other events.  Where and when would depend on the ship.  Who will depend on who signs up for it !  Sometimes the table is full and sometimes there are only a few who sign up.  It seems like there's always at least one "character' at a CT who makes it all so fun.

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

@WAAAYTOOO can you explain the Chefs Table experience? Where, how, who? I see the menu but with my shellfish allergy I don't want to be causing drama either. Thanks so much!

Best to think of Chef's Table more as a wine pairing meal. You'll be poured a glass of wine and a matching entree will be served.

Location on Quantum class ships is in a room within Chops. Oasis class it varies, Allure-top floor of the Diamond Club (at least it was), Harmony-inside Solarium Bistro (I think), Oasis-area between the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen (across from the bar), and as far as I'm aware it isn't offered on Symphony. Now Oasis class locations could have changed.

Who all, in a nut shell whomever paid for the experience.

I've heard of them swapping out menu items due to allergies. Always best to notify prior to the meal or booking on board to verify they can accommodate.