Wheelchair or walker accessibility

M First

Hello, 

my wife will be having back surgery this December 2020 and we have a planned trip to Italy in June 2021 and she is afraid that she may need a wheelchair or walker. To go on some of the tours while we are in Italy , can any one help with suggestions oh how we should proceed with renting and or storing these items when we go, I understand that when we are on the ship we just need to request a wheel chair from Royal but what do we do before we get on the ship if we should need these accommodations . All advise and recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

Can't say much about the tours exactly but from my understanding a lot of areas are not super wheelchair friendly due to stairs and such. And it will also depend on what you are planning to do. So I would say more detail on planned excursions is needed to give a better answer. I do know that on the ship things will mostly be pretty accommodating. The bad thing is that some doors are smaller than average so a chair may need to be collapsed and she will need to walk/shuffle in unless the room is larger or designed to be accessible. 

I can say that if tenders are used there will likely need to be extra manpower available and even then I don't know if that will be a good option. My wife was using a power chair for a couple years before she passed away and we had looked at a cruise as a way for her to be able to go to Jamaica and visit family but it never really worked out. But the route was going to have a stop at Grand Cayman so she would have been unable to go to shore there without great difficulty. 

But absolutely call and make arrangements as early as possible. Most of the time they want at least 60 days avarice notice for accessibility items. It may also be worth seeing if you can be shifted to an accessible room. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 9:37 PM, M First said:

what do we do before we get on the ship if we should need these accommodations . All advise and recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

My husband is in a power chair full time.  The cruise line can send you the "Special Needs Form" to fill in or you can find it online as well.  It covers everything from walker, wheelchair type, special diet, and all other possibilities.  You will need to fill it in and return it to RCI at least 30 days before sailing.  I wish you the best!

I will say I have found Royal Caribbean to be superior to Norwegian as far as handicapped accessibility and access. On Norwegian it is almost impossible to book a handicapped room on some ships that is not an inside room. 

I travelled with my Dad when he was alternating between a walker and a wheelchair. 

I'd strongly suggest that you make arrangements ahead of time.  An accessible room is a must.  The standard room (on Explorer of the Seas) had doors too small for his walker or wheelchair and the room was too small of him to navigate.  The accessible room worked much better.

On that cruise, I asked Royal about wheelchair availability and they said they did not supply them. Not for loan. Not for rent.

We made arrangements ahead of time to rent one locally.  Turns out there were some available for rental at the pier. (This was sailing out of Seattle and your mileage may vary!)

Another option would be to buy a used one from Goodwill or Salvation Army and bring it with you. Most airlines will accommodate wheelchairs either in the cabin or as checked baggage, so that might be a good option.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:37 PM, M First said:

Hello, 

my wife will be having back surgery this December 2020 and we have a planned trip to Italy in June 2021 and she is afraid that she may need a wheelchair or walker. To go on some of the tours while we are in Italy , can any one help with suggestions oh how we should proceed with renting and or storing these items when we go, I understand that when we are on the ship we just need to request a wheel chair from Royal but what do we do before we get on the ship if we should need these accommodations . All advise and recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

I have bad knees and back.  I have brought a walker or cane before.  I did bring my own as could use at airport other  places before and after a cruise. I have a fold up cane which you can carry very easy.  The cruise ships also can help and provide items you may need.  

I did take my mother on a cruise but again brought my our wheelchair and was not an issue.  I have had back surgery and knee surgeries.  Most of the time I can navigate just fine on my own.    And I am thinking she will be just fine 6 months after surgery.  The best to you