Specialty Restaurants Q

Ashleyb

If I wanted to eat at some of the specialty restaurants on board but my partner would not (picky eater) would he still be able to sit with me while I eat with no charge or would he be charged to enter? If so, is there an option for me to take the food to go...?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know the answer to your question but I believe I have read that you can ask for MDR menu items in the specialty restaurants. Or perhaps your partner could bring something from the WJ so that you could both be eating together? In any case, a word with the restaurant manager beforehand would surely smooth the way as they are usually very helpful and keen to please.

11 hours ago, Ashleyb said:

If I wanted to eat at some of the specialty restaurants on board but my partner would not (picky eater) would he still be able to sit with me while I eat with no charge or would he be charged to enter? If so, is there an option for me to take the food to go...?

That is a really good question I would also like to get the answer to that if / when you find out.

I'm not sure this would be handled in a consistent manner so any answer may be suspect.

It's possible one crew member might let it slide but I think we can all see how some guests would abuse this to avoid paying for both parties.  

At a venue such as Izumi where it's an allowance this could totally be abused by many if allowed.

At a venue such as Chops attempted abuse wouldn't work as well so they could possibly allow it but it would likely be inconsistent.  One time they could allow it, a different day or ship maybe not.  

IIRC the email address is rcldining@rccl.com. Perhaps email and ask them.  

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure this would be handled in a consistent manner so any answer may be suspect.

It's possible one crew member might let it slide but I think we can all see how some guests would abuse this to avoid paying for both parties.  

At a venue such as Izumi where it's an allowance this could totally be abused by many if allowed.

At a venue such as Chops attempted abuse wouldn't work as well so they could possibly allow it but it would likely be inconsistent.  One time they could allow it, a different day or ship maybe not.  

IIRC the email address is rcldining@rccl.com. Perhaps email and ask them.  

Yea I figured the abuse of this type of request would be an obstacle. I couldn’t get him to eat any of it even if I begged him so that is not my intention at all. I will email them and find out, thank you!

6 hours ago, Ashleyb said:

Was told by RC that the charge to enter is a cover charge and needs to be paid by all who enter whether they eat or not. Just wanted to update you!

However, given that you can get half a dozen different answers to the same question from RC depending on who you talk to, I definitely think it would be worth approaching the maitre d of the restaurant you're interested in once you get on board. He/she will have enough autonomy to give you a definitive yay or nay.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:53 PM, Ashleyb said:

If so, is there an option for me to take the food to go...?

I have gotten food to go from specialty restaurants before.  As long as you have the dining plan or are willing to pay the cover charge, they should allow it.  You still should make the reservation so they know to expect you. Izumi sushi is ala carte and definitely allows take out -- they even have the plastic contains for it.  The other restaurants will serve the food on a real plate with a cover like you would get with room service, so that can be cumbersome to take out of the restaurant.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2020 at 10:20 PM, Ashleyb said:

Yea I figured the abuse of this type of request would be an obstacle. I couldn’t get him to eat any of it even if I begged him so that is not my intention at all. I will email them and find out, thank you!

Perhaps the restaurant would get food from another venue and bring it to him, while you are also dining?