Non-refundable deposit refund

Zygzag

I want to cancel my March cruise and would like to get some of my non-refundable deposit back.  The October 27 Message Board said I would get my deposit less $100.  But RC is saying NO.   Please let me know if this information is wrong. 

The October 27 Message Board said the following...

If you have not reached your final payment date yet (75 days for 1-4 night cruises; 90 days 5-night or longer cruises), you can cancel and get a refund subject to the kind of deposit you selected when you booked.  A refundable cruise fare will get you all your deposit money back, whereas a non-refundable cruise fare will hit you with a $100 per person fee.

Welcome to the forums!

Please note this forum (in fact the entire site) is a fan site of Royal Caribbean and is in no way related to the company.

With that said, here is a link to Royal Caribbean's website that should answer your question. The $100 per person fee was to change a non-refundable cruise (pre-COVID) but you'd result in the remaining balance in a future cruise credit. To the best of my knowledge, you never received cash.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/booking-cancellation-refund-policy

Assuming you want to cruise again, but not sure when, your best option would be to request a $500 FCC.

Thanks.  Your reply is what RC said.  Unfortunately, it looks like the  comment in the 27 Oct message board was written incorrectly.  It gave the impression that you could get a refund less $100 on a non-refundable deposit without applying it to future cruises.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

The non-refundable deposit is well documented.  Where on the "October 27 Message Board" did you see this post?

1 hour ago, karl_nj said:

100% the OP was referencing this board, at least that was my immediate take and why I wrote "Please note this forum (in fact the entire site) is a fan site of Royal Caribbean and is in no way related to the company." first and foremost in my reply. 

That post pretty clearly articulates the $100 fee although it does neglect to mention that the balance beyond the $100 fee will be returned in the form of an FCC.  

It appears it was assumed the balance beyond the $100 fee would be refunded.

The actual terms and conditions are noted when you book a cruise.  From Royal's website:

• *Price is per person, cruise only, reflects any promotional savings, and is subject to change and availability until booked. Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. 100USD/100CAD/80EUR per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

13 hours ago, Zygzag said:

Thanks.  Your reply is what RC said.  Unfortunately, it looks like the  comment in the 27 Oct message board was written incorrectly.  It gave the impression that you could get a refund less $100 on a non-refundable deposit without applying it to future cruises.

You're welcome. It's not incorrect, just didn't specify the money would be a FCC, but I can see where one would make the assumption (I would have too). Do remember this is a forum not related to Royal Caribbean in any way. The end of the post contains links to Royal Caribbean directly to show the source of the information. I assume, the post was more about the Cruise with Confidence program than Royal's detailed cancellation policy. 

The good news is, assuming you're still interested in sailing in the future you'll have a FCC ready to be used, you can even use it for deposits now. That's something new and will probably be undone when things start to normalize. (Just a guess).

If you're not interested in sailing again unfortunately that money is lost unless you're a gambler and want to bet the cruise will be cancelled.

Lastly, I hope you just wanted out of the reservation, not interested in any credits, and that was worth $100 per person to you. I'm sorry if you need the cash right now, I do understand times are tough for so many.