RCL credit downgrade likely in near future per S&P

I cut and pasted some RCL stock news posting earlier this morning that anyone who owns shares should be made aware. Like other cruise lines wading through this pandemic year, RCL has been issuing lots of new debt which places a pretty big drag on their balance sheet and income statement. Be careful out there when considering where to allocate your investment dollars. 

"Royal Caribbean Group's (RCL) credit rating is in danger of being downgraded deeper into junk territory by S&P Global Ratings, which citing expectations that the cruise operator's recovery will take longer than previously projected. The company's issuer credit rating of B+, which is four notches below investment grade territory, was put on CreditWatch with negative implications, as Royal's recently extended suspension of cruises through February is beyond S&P Global's assumptions, which was for operations to resume in a phased manner starting in the fourth quarter. "Accordingly, we expects Royal to burn more cash relative to our previous expectations and for leverage to remain very high in 2021," S&P Global said. The stock, which rose 1.5% in morning trading, has tumbled 37.9% year to date, while the S&P 500 has gained 14.1%."

When I saw they were doing another $1B stock drop I knew it wasn't good.  You can't keep on "printing money" in this fashion and escape unscathed.  

Sadly they may need may need to do another. 

For the cruising public it's not so much a concern.  For any investor you'll need to be in for the long, long haul.   Long.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

When I saw they were doing another $1B stock drop I knew it wasn't good.  You can't keep on "printing money" in this fashion and escape unscathed.  

Sadly they may need may need to do another. 

For the cruising public it's not so much a concern.  For any investor you'll need to be in for the long, long haul.   Long.

While I think RCL will continue to be a great cruising brand for many years to come, future earnings per share will be diluted by new stock issuance and a more than doubling of their overall debt levels (due to COVID). Bottom line is that the company management is in survival mode and is doing everything they can to keep things afloat (pun intended) while the world works on defeating this pandemic. Common shareholders just need to understand that it'll take the company many years to pay down their debt levels to make the stock an attractive investment.

Frequent cruisers should definitely take the opportunity to buy 100 shares on a significant dip. Normally, I stay out of the stock market but if I had known last year that shareholders get $100 onboard credit per cruise I would have picked up 100 shares back in the spring when shares were in the 30's. 

People should buy into Royal stock if it is consistent with their investment strategy.  If you cruise 10 or 20 cruises a year then the $100 OBC can become a bigger factor.   Most people don't cruise that much.  

Do the math, put it into a spreadsheet.  How many cruises have you taken over the past several years?  What is your cruise per year average?  Weigh that against sound investing strategies based on the stock price and what you think might occur with the stock going forward.

If it makes sense given the risk and outlook then plan your strategy carefully.  Travel stocks are very volatile right now.  Be very careful to jump off the ledge to time the wave that is approaching because after a peak is a trough.  A trough always follows a peak.  The only question is the difference between the two.

Pretty clear the cruise lines are marketing near future cruises ('21 - early '22) pretty heavy to keep cash flow coming in.   I'm bewildered on how slow RCG continues to roll out late 2022 itineraries.  Seems like there would be a greater propensity for people to book later cruises in today's environment, hence could collect more deposits.  Is deposit revenue reported for the quarter its received?  Or in the quarter the actual cruise would take place? 

8 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

I'm bewildered on how slow RCG continues to roll out late 2022 itineraries.  Seems like there would be a greater propensity for people to book later cruises in today's environment, hence could collect more deposits.

Normally they have a team right sized for planning cruises 2 to 3 years in the future.  Now that team is scrambling with reinventing cruises longer than 7 days into 7 days or shorter focusing on 2021.  Furthermore they are all in their pajamas trying to help school their children remotely from home. 

They aren't looking at 2022 into 2023 because they can't.  

RCG will become a Zombie Company, if not already. I hate to see this, and it is really no surprise as the writing has been on the wall. Hopefully, the vaccine can take a hold and things will be back to NORMAL (not new normal) in 2024.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/12/03/zombie-companies-have-raised-nearly-1-trillion-dur/

12 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

RCG will become a Zombie Company, if not already. I hate to see this, and it is really no surprise as the writing has been on the wall. Hopefully, the vaccine can take a hold and things will be back to NORMAL (not new normal) in 2024.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/12/03/zombie-companies-have-raised-nearly-1-trillion-dur/

Question: What indicators give thought to RCG being a Zombie?