What’s the strangest thing you have seen on a cruise ship?

Matt

I can't remember which ship, only that it was somewhere in Europe. A group of choral singers decided they would "perform" in the atrium area, near guest services. All well and good, but instead of performing to the other passengers in the atrium, they formed themselves into a circle, all of them facing inwards towards each other. It was as if they wanted to show off their skills but were too embarrassed to show their faces, so they effectively turned their backs on their prospective audience. It was the weirdest thing.

As mentioned at the time in my live blog from FOTS, seeing an american woman slightly worse for wear sitting in the Schooner Bar with her husband lift herself up off her seat a little , then proceeded to slip off her underwear and tuck them into her husbands jacket breast pocket ( i hope it was her husband lol ) 

Not a Royal ship, one of a lesser competitor.  

There are four or five adults drinking in a hot tub mid day on a sea day.  A little boy is going up and down the stairs to the hot tub every few minutes making faces and saying stuff, teasing the presumably family members in the hot tub.  After this continues for a while the child reaches the top of the stairs, turns around, lowers his trunks and proceeds to do something normally done in a bathroom.  The moment the realization struck the family in the hot tub they simultaneously all flew out of the tub in all directions, leaping over railings in unison.  It was quite the sight to see drunk adults moving so quickly in precision with each other.

Strangest thing I've seen on a Royal ship was a college aged adult wearing a wild and elaborate halloween costume walking around the ship normally but completely outside of the halloween season.  

Must have lost a bet with his buddies.  

It was a double take moment.  Did I just see that?

There was a couple on board with a us a few years ago that danced in the Centrium every night. She was always in sparkly/sequined boots, either bunny or cat ears, and hot pants/short shorts with fish nets. He was always in cargo shorts or Demin shorts with a Hawaiian shirt, sometimes the sleeves were missing. Didn't matter the song, they were dancing and had some signature moves. They were definitely the star of the show whether they knew it or not. As we were waiting for our departure group to be called, two ladies were sitting behind us talking about "Sparkly Boots" and wondering if they had participated in 70's night. I turned around and said yes, they did. The lady asked me how I knew who she was talking about and I said the whole ship knew... ?

I would have to say, the strangest thing we ever witnessed (and loved) occurred during a Halloween Cruise in 2018.  Of course, the fact that it's Halloween already lends itself to strange things.... This dude, who was dressed as Fred Flintstone  belted out the loudest "YABBA DABBA DOO" we'd ever heard from the Deck 8 Railing over the Centrum on Grandeur.  The acoustics carried it throughout the ship.  We laughed our butts off.  When I mentioned it on the group page, another witness happened to say, hey, that was my son, and posted this picture. 

Fred.jpg

The only thing that comes to mind is Anthem of the Seas to Bermuda September 2018. We were still in Bayonne, NJ enjoying an unusually warm September day at the pool when a lady says "I wonder if the pool is salt water or not." Without missing a beat, a fine young man, not known to the lady, who may or may not have already enjoyed his drink package a bit too much, bent down, dipped his finger in the water, put finger in his mouth and said "tastes fresh to me."

That may or may not have been me, but it sure got one heck of a laugh from all that witnessed.

Edit: not sure if it classifies as "strange" but to onlookers I am sure they found it odd someone was tasting the disgusting pool water.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
add/typo

Well, that was on Celebrity Equinox. Around 4 PM, I was with my kid alone in the pool doing some laps back and forth. A french canadian couple got in the pool with him on one side and her on the other side. We did not want to disturb them so we would slow down a bit when crossing their path. I should point out that the guy had a colorful drink with him and was really enjoying himself.

Then, out of nowhere, a japanese guy just showed up and proceeded to do a pre Big DIVE warming routine. My son looked at me and asked whether the guy was really going to dive. At that precise moment, We turned toward the couple and their faces screamed of pure fear. The french canadian then said: "Tabernak, I never thought that the olympics are very close". Before he finished his phrase, a big splash from our friend the olympic swimmer. No need to tell you what the couple was saying at that moment but our olympic swimmer kept going back and forth. I was crying from laughing. After a couple of minutes, the guy just leapt out of the pool as if nothing happened.

The french canadian guy, who was holding to his glass as if it was the last drink he would have. then said to his girlfriend: "Phew, what was that?". Right there and before she could say anything, we saw her lift her head a bit and turn slightly to the left. At that moment, I could not hold it anymore. The olympic swimmer wife or girlfriend was jumping left and right, trying to warm up before her next big dive.

No need to tell you how the guy in the pool was at that moment. Let us just say, we just ejected faster than a pilot from his jet.

Perhaps not well known that you can do this (at least you could at one time...back in 2009)...

Embarkation day at Port Everglades for a 7 night Eastern Caribbean itinerary...about 12 motorcycles were loaded on to the ship. A group had arranged to have them on the ship and go on self guided tours at some of the ports of call.

Port day at St. Thomas...about 4:00 pm...beep beep beep...of the tow truck backing up with a bent up Harley Davidson Buell hanging on the hook. Watching them get it loaded back into the cargo hold...that was interesting.

Rider was OK...some scrapes, bruises and a damaged ego, but was lucky.

When the SeaSide first crossed the Atlantic she stopped in Antigua.  We were across the pier.  This was her first sailing and she hadn't stopped in America yet so the SeaSide had a larger than normal number of Europeans on board.  Out of the blue an older, somewhat large lady walks onto her balcony in full view of everyone on our ship completely naked placing some clothes out to dry on her balcony.  She took her time oblivious to another ship across the pier.  Somethings can't be unseen.  

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

When the SeaSide first crossed the Atlantic she stopped in Antigua.  We were across the pier.  This was her first sailing and she hadn't stopped in America yet so the SeaSide had a larger than normal number of Europeans on board.  Out of the blue an older, somewhat large lady walks onto her balcony in full view of everyone on our ship completely naked placing some clothes out to dry on her balcony.  She took her time oblivious to another ship across the pier.  Somethings can't be unseen.  

or forgotten! ?

I remembered this after I posted earlier...Same cruise as "Sparkly Boots". It was a Christmas cruise and there was a couple in their late 30's to early 40's who wore Christmas pajama onesies all cruise long, day and night. They also had their own "custom" metal "Yeti" style cups and straws that they drank from at the R Bar. Rarely did we go to/through the Centrium and not see them there in their pajamas and drinking from their Yeti's. Needless to say, the Centrium was THE place to people watch that cruise. 

31 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Holy Balls, I JUST spotted the common element between both photos ..... He really needs to put the phone down from time to time ---????

Don't worry. In the near future we will have cell phone technology surgically implanted in us. No need to carry around the cumbersome phone any longer! Problem solved.

13 hours ago, Pooch said:

Well my 10 year old grandson got a cruise long eyeful of the 30-40 15 year old Latinas on their whatever it’s called celebration!  He spent an inordinate amount of time in the hot tubs!!  Dental floss and stilettos being the outfits of the day!!??

In June 2019 we were on a cruise out of San Juan with a mass Quinceañera celebration. Way more than 40 of them.

A passenger had a service dog with her.  Rumors were it could detect an oncoming medical condition and was trained to react.

The thing is she let the dog up on the loungers and walked it off leash.  It was often 30' or 50' ahead of her.  

Very strange to see a dog walking around a ship by itself. 

ov-servicedog-2.jpg

ov-servicedog-1.jpg

Chefs table royal rumble. An entire family had too many wines & decided to start fighting each other. Punches were thrown & security broke it up & sent them packing. The Chef felt so bad for the remaining few people that he sent servers to give us 3 free rounds of drinks. This was an epic chefs table experience.