FCC - can someone way smarter than me help?

Cmc

Sorry if this has been answered.   I just haven’t been up to speed at all for the last 6 months.  Just felt like I was never going to get my cruise in.  

My second ever cruise was originally booked for may 2020 with family if 3 and gramma.  When COVID announced I was one of the first to cancel in March.  So got a FCC for family of four.     never able to get 125% credit etc. 

as I understand it I have to cruise before december 2021.  Correct?

we have nothing booked as being from Canada we have no idea on vaccines, quarantine procedures, etc.  At this point I feel our money/FCC will be lost.   I feel once I know when we can travel, nothing good will really be left under the current time frame to travel?  Am I thinking correctly on all of this? 

does the forum think that date will be pushed to 2022? 

We were supposed to be on a June 2020 cruise that was cancelled.  Then found one for June 2021 where the FCC was applied and that got cancelled. We did not feel safe traveling in 2021 to move to something else so when Europe summer 2022 opened today we called a little bit ago and were told could not apply it to anything past April 2022 so asked for a refund and the rep put the request in.  

Hi!

Your family and mine are in exact same boat and we are from Canada too. One possible strategy is move your FCC credit to a cruise in March. My thinking is it will likely not sail, and you might then have an option for a refund or at least a longer credit. You could still cancel the March cruise just before sailing (I think it’s 24 or 48 hours?) and get your full FCC back so I don’t think there is anything to lose. What do others think? 

I have experienced a lot of differences how one cruise is handled compared to another.  In reality none of know how future cruises or future cancellations will be handled.  

My advice would be to try to get something on the books that works for your family in the event that it does go forward and operates as scheduled.  

Best case scenario is the vaccine(s) get everything back to normal quickly and if you assume that won't happen you could find yourself in a pickle if the dates for a placeholder cruise don't really work if the cruise does actually sail.

16 hours ago, Beachgirl said:

My thinking is it will likely not sail, and you might then have an option for a refund or at least a longer credit. You could still cancel the March cruise just before sailing (I think it’s 24 or 48 hours?) and get your full FCC back so I don’t think there is anything to lose. What do others think? 

It might work IF Royal cancels the cruise AND Royal cancels the cruise before the final payment date.  It is like a "game of chicken" when it gets close to the final payment date if you have to pay more cash and decide later that YOU want to cancel.

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. game of chicken is right- RCL didn’t cancel our March break cruise this year until the day before!! 
I would love to use our credit to book a Christmas cruise for next year but I think it’s a gamble that our whole family will be vaccinated by then. If we DO book a Christmas cruise for next year, and that ends up being the case, and we have to cancel as a result- do we essentially lose all our money at that point? 
One more problem I can see is we somehow manage to get a longer time to use our cruise credit and then RCL goes bankrupt in the interim. 

5 hours ago, Beachgirl said:

One more problem I can see is we somehow manage to get a longer time to use our cruise credit and then RCL goes bankrupt in the interim. 

Yes ... it would be nice to get a longer time frame to use the cruise credit.  I can't fathom what happens if RCL goes bankrupt.  RCL probably won't cease to exist but I can easily imagine a scenario where my FCC will cease to exist!  Worst of all , in this covid environment, I might cease to exist. ?