Packing Questions & Need Cruise Hacks/Tips!

cwtom

Hi Members - I'll be sailing on Allure in September with a 4 year-old. Had a couple of questions about what you can/can't pack, and also wondering if there tried & true cruise hacks/tips that you can share! TIA

1. I've read hacks about bringing hangers and wondering if metal hangers are ok, or do they need to be plastic. Is it better to put it in the carry-on to avoid luggage delays?
  2. Juice boxes for my son - If I wanted to bring a couple packs for him to take with us on excursions, any idea if this is allowed?
  3. Do all staterooms have mini-fridges?
  4. Do all staterooms have a pull-out bed, or are they only on the ones indicated on the deck plans? 
  5. Power bars - seems to be a lot of debate on whether they can or can't be brought on board. Safer to pack in my carry-on to avoid delays? Also seems like the smaller block type power bars are more acceptable.
  6. How strict are they on the "Kids must use the washroom on their own" policy for the Kids Club? My son needs some assistance using the toilet - primarily just putting his pants back on properly. 
  7. Any other cruise hacks/tips?

Thanks!  :D

I've never brought hangers and have been fine, even on two week cruises. On a couple of occasions, I've needed more and simply asked the cabin steward and he/she provided them. To save space, I also tend to hang pants and shirts together. If you'd like to bring some just to be safe, any type will work and they won't delay your luggage if they're in your checked bags.

Juice boxes shouldn't be a problem, but carry them on.

Only the oldest ships might not have fridges. The Alkure does.

The type of bedding is indicated on the deck plans. Some cabins have a pull out couch, some have beds that pull out from the ceiling, and others only have the two regular beds.

Surge suppressing power bars seem to be the issue. If you can get a power block without this--just the extra outlets--you should be fine. Definitely put it in your carry on luggage.

They're pretty strict about kids being self-sufficient regarding using the bathroom. However, you can always explain the situation to the staff when you get onboard.

1. I've read hacks about bringing hangers and wondering if metal hangers are ok, or do they need to be plastic. Is it better to put it in the carry-on to avoid luggage delays?

I have brought both (in my garment bags). Never had an issue.

Juice boxes for my son - If I wanted to bring a couple packs for him to take with us on excursions, any idea if this is allowed?

Pack it in your carry-on luggage. Don't ask, don't tell.

Do all staterooms have mini-fridges?

Yes

Power bars - seems to be a lot of debate on whether they can or can't be brought on board. Safer to pack in my carry-on to avoid delays? Also seems like the smaller block type power bars are more acceptable.

I always bring a smaller one in my backpack and never had an issue.  This I think is a YMMV kind of issue.  Bring one, but be prepared to toss it.

How strict are they on the "Kids must use the washroom on their own" policy for the Kids Club? My son needs some assistance using the toilet - primarily just putting his pants back on properly. 

Very strict.  The Crew cannot assist in anyway the child to go to the bathroom.  If your son comes back with his pants backwards, perhaps they can assist there, but they are pretty clear that he has to be able to go by himself 100%.

I will say they give each kid a "three strikes" rule, so if the issue is just his pants not lined up correctly, that is likely not as big of an issue as needing help actually going, wiping, etc.

I brought plastic hangers one time and never again. I just ask the room steward for 6 more and they will supply them. I hang a pair of pants/jeans and then a blouse/shirt over them so you don't use as many and you don't take up as much room.

Matt has done a lot of articles on cruise hacks. You just do a search for them. Cruise Critic also has lots of articles on packing and what to bring hacks.

If your bringing a formal outfit I like to pack a small bottle of wrinkle releaser. Also wearing watches comes in handy, some phones revert to local time when you get off the ship, gotta keep on ship time.

Also I can't help but recomend Matt's podcasts, lots of great info. A good way to keep excited too.

I picked up a great little tip online.  Get a pack of magnetic-backed hooks from Walmart or Lowes.  I attached a picture of one.  Hope you can view it.  When you get to your cabin simply put the hooks on the wall and hang keys, lanyards, wet wash cloths or whatever.  Ship cabins are made of steel so you can put the magnetic hooks almost anywhere.  Worked great on our cruise.  Also, pick up an over-the-door shoe organizer for about $5 and hang it on the bathroom door.  Organizes your toiletries, suntan lotion, sunglasses, etc.  It is also a GREAT holder for all those souvenir drink glasses. LOL.  Have a great cruise.

post-717-0-04095800-1467567479_thumb.jpg

I picked up a great little tip online.  Get a pack of magnetic-backed hooks from Walmart or Lowes.  I attached a picture of one.  Hope you can view it.  When you get to your cabin simply put the hooks on the wall and hang keys, lanyards, wet wash cloths or whatever.  Ship cabins are made of steel so you can put the magnetic hooks almost anywhere.  Worked great on our cruise.  Also, pick up an over-the-door shoe organizer for about $5 and hang it on the bathroom door.  Organizes your toiletries, suntan lotion, sunglasses, etc.  It is also a GREAT holder for all those souvenir drink glasses. LOL.  Have a great cruise.

Just keep the magnets away from your sea pass card!

Does anyone know if they have the little boxed cereals on board? It's been awhile since I've sailed with RC!

Yes they do. My kids love them and you can get them from Windjammer and some other venues may have it too (Park Cafe, for example).

They have them in the MDR breakfast at the cereal bar (at least they were there on the Freedom last week).

I always take a few boxes with me to feed the fish ! 

BTW, tarpon are cereal snobs.  They wanted NOTHING to do with the cereal I took to Grand Cayman.  The little sun fish, on the other hand, loved it !

Some helpful advice about the "mini fridges".

Cold is not a tempreture they are capable attaining, they are not designed to. There is no tempreture control; they are factory set to "can of pop left out on the counter for an hour cool." This is true for all classes of rooms.

RCL does not call them refrigerators but rather "chillers."

Where this becomes a real issue is those that put medicine (diabetics) into their room "chiller" and it spoils.

Some helpful advice about the "mini fridges".

Cold is not a tempreture they are capable attaining, they are not designed to. There is no tempreture control; they are factory set to "can of pop left out on the counter for an hour cool." This is true for all classes of rooms.

RCL does not call them refrigerators but rather "chillers."

Where this becomes a real issue is those that put medicine (diabetics) into their room "chiller" and it spoils.

This is common on ships of many lines, I'm not sure why.  That in mind, cruise lines will all provide accommodation for medications upon request.  I've seen small fridges brought in, meds stored by staff, coolers, etc. 

This is common on ships of many lines, I'm not sure why.  That in mind, cruise lines will all provide accommodation for medications upon request.  I've seen small fridges brought in, meds stored by staff, coolers, etc. 

I was hoping to stock the cartons of milk in the fridge for my son. Not an option?

I was hoping to stock the cartons of milk in the fridge for my son. Not an option?

If you do, only the small single serving containers would likely fit, and I'm just not sure about the temperature.  That in mind, milk is available on-board.  If there is a dietary restriction or some other factor, you may want to have you travel agent follow up, or you can fill out the form at the below address and someone will contact you to work something out.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

We have done that and they have been fine.  The fridges are not as cold my fridge at home, but it is cold enough to keep milk safe for drinking.

I have a whole list of hacks I use/bring on cruises.  My best one is to bring a night light.  The your whole stateroom and bathroom is completely dark at night and the bathroom light is either off or fully, bright on..no in between.  If you plug a small night light in the bathroom receptacle for shavers, it easily cures stubbed toes.  The ONLY caveat is that you have to get one with NON polarized plugs.  Polarized do not fit.  

Among other hacks, we bring clothes pins to keep the curtains honest...we like to sleep in, past sunrise and don't like the sun peaking in through the cracks in between curtains.  Magnets on the outsides of the curtains will keep them up against the wall as well (as someone mentioned that the walls are metal...they are).  A hanging shoe rack, you know those cheap plastic ones you can hang on a door?  Put that on your bathroom door and it will add a ton of storage for a lot of little things.  Baby power, when sprinkled on wet, sandy feet will dry the moisture and the sand comes right off.

I'll post a few more when I check my list.

I was also inquiring about the Kid's program and my son needing to be fully potty-trained. How do they handle asthma puffers and epi-pens?

Your son will need to be potty trained.  Regarding puffers and epi-pens, they do ask about this type of information when you register the child onboard, so I have to assume they are equipped and trained to deal with it.

I have a whole list of hacks I use/bring on cruises.  My best one is to bring a night light.  The your whole stateroom and bathroom is completely dark at night and the bathroom light is either off or fully, bright on..no in between.  If you plug a small night light in the bathroom receptacle for shavers, it easily cures stubbed toes.  The ONLY caveat is that you have to get one with NON polarized plugs.  Polarized do not fit.  

Among other hacks, we bring clothes pins to keep the curtains honest...we like to sleep in, past sunrise and don't like the sun peaking in through the cracks in between curtains.  Magnets on the outsides of the curtains will keep them up against the wall as well (as someone mentioned that the walls are metal...they are).  A hanging shoe rack, you know those cheap plastic ones you can hang on a door?  Put that on your bathroom door and it will add a ton of storage for a lot of little things.  Baby power, when sprinkled on wet, sandy feet will dry the moisture and the sand comes right off.

Thanks! I haven't seen the tip about clothes pins keeping the curtains shut - great idea! And the baby powder idea is also an excellent tip. I've heard about the shoe rack, but I haven't been able to track one down. Looking forward to hearing some more!

Thanks! I haven't seen the tip about clothes pins keeping the curtains shut - great idea! And the baby powder idea is also an excellent tip. I've heard about the shoe rack, but I haven't been able to track one down. Looking forward to hearing some more!

The shoe organizer has been suggested for years. However, ive been on two dozen cruises and have never had a need for one. What I do find valuable, though, is a hanging toiletry bag. I'm also a big fan of zip ties for securing luggage as they can easily be cut off by the TSA if needed and I know that someone has been in my bag if they're missing. With the TSA locks, there's no way to immediately know if someone has been through your luggage.

The shoe organizer has been suggested for years. However, ive been on two dozen cruises and have never had a need for one. What I do find valuable, though, is a hanging toiletry bag. I'm also a big fan of zip ties for securing luggage as they can easily be cut off by the TSA if needed and I know that someone has been in my bag if they're missing. With the TSA locks, there's no way to immediately know if someone has been through your luggage.

I put duct tape on all my locks, ALL AROUND it.  If it's been pulled off, or has rips or holes, someone has attempted to get in, if not...no one has been in.  TSA is also supposed to leave a note in your luggage if they opened it up.  

I have a whole list of hacks I use/bring on cruises. My best one is to bring a night light. The your whole stateroom and bathroom is completely dark at night and the bathroom light is either off or fully, bright on..no in between. If you plug a small night light in the bathroom receptacle for shavers, it easily cures stubbed toes. The ONLY caveat is that you have to get one with NON polarized plugs. Polarized do not fit.

I've never brought hangers and have been fine, even on two week cruises. On a couple of occasions, I've needed more and simply asked the cabin steward and he/she provided them. To save space, I also tend to hang pants and shirts together. If you'd like to bring some just to be safe, any type will work and they won't delay your luggage if they're in your checked bags.

Juice boxes shouldn't be a problem, but carry them on.

Only the oldest ships might not have fridges. The Alkure does.

The type of bedding is indicated on the deck plans. Some cabins have a pull out couch, some have beds that pull out from the ceiling, and others only have the two regular beds.

Surge suppressing power bars seem to be the issue. If you can get a power block without this--just the extra outlets--you should be fine. Definitely put it in your carry on luggage.

They're pretty strict about kids being self-sufficient regarding using the bathroom. However, you can always explain the situation to the staff when you get onboard.

LOL I was thinking she meant the FOOD/SNACK Power Bar

Just got off Allure 2 weeks ago.  AMAZING time!  My #1 tip... over the door shoe hanger for the back of the bathroom door.  We're a family of 4 and all our shoes, flip flops, sneakers fit in it.  It kept us from losing shoes and tripping over random shoes all week.  attachicon.gif13613611_10210086202300628_3498380682874286536_o (1).jpg

Glad that worked for you

Bad news!  Just got off the Freedom and the plugs are actually non-working plugs UNLESS the bathroom light is on.  So this eliminates the whole reason to bring them, at least to plug in the bathroom.  We ended up plugging it into the outlet on the desk and put a Cruise Compass in front of it. Provided just enough light to see the room when making a "midnight run" but not originally as planned.  

I suppose the newer ships have switched outlets like above, because every other ship I've been on, we could use the outlets with the bathroom light off.

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2016 at 8:23 AM, cwtom said:

Hi Members - I'll be sailing on Allure in September with a 4 year-old. Had a couple of questions about what you can/can't pack, and also wondering if there tried & true cruise hacks/tips that you can share! TIA

2. Juice boxes for my son - If I wanted to bring a couple packs for him to take with us on excursions, any idea if this is allowed?
  3. Do all staterooms have mini-fridges?
  4. Do all staterooms have a pull-out bed, or are they only on the ones indicated on the deck plans? 
  5. Power bars - seems to be a lot of debate on whether they can or can't be brought on board. Safer to pack in my carry-on to avoid delays? Also seems like the smaller block type power bars are more acceptable.
  6. How strict are they on the "Kids must use the washroom on their own" policy for the Kids Club? My son needs some assistance using the toilet - primarily just putting his pants back on properly. 
  7. Any other cruise hacks/tips?

Thanks!  :D

I always bring

metal hangers to hang my clothes. Not enough for me in the room and then I just leave them.