The key

cman2020

We are scheduled to go on the rcb group cruise in November 2021, and was looking at the possibility of purchasing the key. We usually buy the deluxe beverage package w the internet, (that is $58 pp )but if purchasing the key, would  buy the drink package with out the internet (that’s $50pp) cause it comes w the key. The key is $21.99. I would have to purchase for myself wife and daughter who will be 7, my son who will be 4 would not need it, I guess ? Do you guys think it’s worth it to get the key. Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks in advance !

One thing to keep in mind...with later boarding predicted, one of the key Key features is likely to be gone - lunch at Chops on boarding day.  Similarly, those purchasing the Unlimited Dining Plan are also likely to lose this feature.  If a nice, leisurely steak lunch on boarding day was a real anticipation for you, the Key (and perhaps even the UDP) may now be less of a value.

32 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

... we don't know what COVID procedures will be...

One thing I'm curious about going forward... the Key embarkation day Chops Grille lunch is naturally held during lunch hours in the MDR... starts before/at noon...

I'm assuming they have to give you an earlier scheduled boarding time so you don't miss the lunch... hmmm... I guess we'll see once we get back to cruising! 

I agree.  Lunch in Chops is one of my favorite features of the UDP.  I will be seriously unhappy if this is no longer a feature, given the [projected] later boarding times.  According to everything I have seen so far (realizing that nothing is known for sure, yet), boarding will not even begin until after the lunch hours would have already expired.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:43 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I agree.  Lunch in Chops is one of my favorite features of the UDP.  I will be seriously unhappy if this is no longer a feature, given the [projected] later boarding times.  According to everything I have seen so far (realizing that nothing is known for sure, yet), boarding will not even begin until after the lunch hours would have already expired.

Wait a minute!!!! Lol

With the UDP we get a Chop’s lunch on embarkation day???

We typically buy both the UDP and key.  We are in a Grande Suite on our next cruise (June 2021) so we won’t need the key, but I was bummed we were going to miss out on the lunch.  We ALWAYS buy the UDP, I wish I knew this 4 cruises ago lol.  

9 hours ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

Wait a minute!!!! Lol

With the UDP we get a Chop’s lunch on embarkation day???

We typically buy both the UDP and key.  We are in a Grande Suite on our next cruise (June 2021) so we won’t need the key, but I was bummed we were going to miss out on the lunch.  We ALWAYS buy the UDP, I wish I knew this 4 cruises ago lol.  

When they changed from the “Ultimate Dining Package” to the “Unlimited Dining Package” the rules changed to permit UDP package-holders to dine in a specialty restaurant any time the restaurant was open.  So this included Chops on boarding day.  There was a bit of confusion at the beginning due to the Key Program which caused Chops to be over-crowded on embarkation day lunches, but they soon resolved the issue by putting the Key people into the MDR.  The latest twist in this scenario was that the shortage of servers (caused by the need for servers to be re-directed to the MDR) in Chops resulted in Chops being closed on boarding day on Oasis.  So this situation has evolved and the “rules” have been fluid.  I guess the one “rule” that has been fairly consistent is that....if the specialty restaurant is open (unless it’s a special, closed event of some kind)  and you have the UDP, you can eat there.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:41 AM, JohnK6404 said:

Yes, we love that steak lunch! LOL!

Oh no!! We must've gotten a dud. Cause our last Chops Embarkation lunch in the MDR with The Key was TERRIBLE ? That steak was dryyyyyy

With regards to buying The Key... it really depends on how they handle the different classes and the new rules. We have a group cruise booked for April '21 on Freedom and I plan on writing a Live Blog about the whole thing. Could you possibly buy The Key now at the "cheaper" price with the notion that you can always get a refund/CC before the cruise if things aren't being handled to your comfort? 

On 11/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I wouldn't at that price, especially since we don't know what COVID procedures will be.  Usually I do buy it if it's under $20 pppd, but I've foregone it, even at $12.99, because I don't know how boarding and social distancing will affect the benefits of the program.

$12.99!!! I don't think I have ever seen it below $21.99. I would have to think that RCG would have to offer something else if they were to take away early boarding and lunch at Chops, otherwise, you are correct. The COVID issue could change things. I cruise in Oct. 2021, hoping for some type of normal by then.

10 hours ago, S0nny said:

Oh no!! We must've gotten a dud. Cause our last Chops Embarkation lunch in the MDR with The Key was TERRIBLE ? That steak was dryyyyyy

With regards to buying The Key... it really depends on how they handle the different classes and the new rules. We have a group cruise booked for April '21 on Freedom and I plan on writing a Live Blog about the whole thing. Could you possibly buy The Key now at the "cheaper" price with the notion that you can always get a refund/CC before the cruise if things aren't being handled to your comfort? 

We enjoyed the embarkation day lunch back in MAY 2019 when it was still held in Chops Grille... I can see how the quality may be inconsistent now that it's held in the MDR for a larger crowd. ?

Yes, you can cancel any Cruise Planner purchase usually up to 2 days or so prior to your sailing (when they close out the Cruise Planner for purchases)... check out the terms/conditions at the bottom of the page (after clicking on the item to purchase). They will tell you when the CP closes out for your sailing. Our CP closes out at 11:59 PM EDT on 4/22/21 (we sail on 4/24/21... hopefully!)...

image.png.69f38abf8f47c9d3aa8e10f34d8181b2.png

... here is the blurb from the terms/conditions regarding CP cancellations:

image.png.e0118f91d0181a2ff0b37abe5962a8a8.png

On 11/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, cman2020 said:

We are scheduled to go on the rcb group cruise in November 2021, and was looking at the possibility of purchasing the key. We usually buy the deluxe beverage package w the internet, (that is $58 pp )but if purchasing the key, would  buy the drink package with out the internet (that’s $50pp) cause it comes w the key. The key is $21.99. I would have to purchase for myself wife and daughter who will be 7, my son who will be 4 would not need it, I guess ? Do you guys think it’s worth it to get the key. Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks in advance !

i love the key. I've purchased it twice. totally worth it if you are already used to buying the internet package. Priority embarkation and embarkation lunch at Chops are really nice but the real benefits are 1) Key times for activities (flowrider, climbing wall etc), and priority debarkation for ports and final day. Its really worth it to get off the ship first at busy ports.