Black Friday gunshy

Baked Alaska

After our last fiasco of RCG putting our cruise planner purchases from our spring break canceled cruise towards another cruise and then trying to get that refunded back to the original form of payment (which took a v.e.r.y. l.o.n.g. time +90 days), I don't care what the sales are. I'm not buying until I know we are sailing. Our first sailing of 2021 is Alaska Quantum of the Seas in July. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Not participating in this BF sale is hard for me. Bah humbug. ?

@Baked Alaska, I third it. I cancelled my cruise planner purchases on the 8th of May, the day before L&S-ing the cruise in question. The refund did not come through until the 24th of August and only after @michelle intervened on my behalf.

I did look to see if there were any amazing deals that might entice me to get my credit card out but the only thing that was any cheaper than in the previous yo-yo sales over the past 6 months was The Key (by a whole dollar), which I would only be interested in if they dropped the price below $10!

I can't help thinking this is a missed opportunity for them to get some extra cash flow. I know they need to recoup losses but if they had offered some serious discounts on items that would, I imagine, be low cost for them, such as The Key and dining, people would be more inclined to pull the trigger.

6 hours ago, FionaMG said:

@Baked Alaska, I third it. I cancelled my cruise planner purchases on the 8th of May, the day before L&S-ing the cruise in question. The refund did not come through until the 24th of August and only after @michelle intervened on my behalf.

I did look to see if there were any amazing deals that might entice me to get my credit card out but the only thing that was any cheaper than in the previous yo-yo sales over the past 6 months was The Key (by a whole dollar), which I would only be interested in if they dropped the price below $10!

I can't help thinking this is a missed opportunity for them to get some extra cash flow. I know they need to recoup losses but if they had offered some serious discounts on items that would, I imagine, be low cost for them, such as The Key and dining, people would be more inclined to pull the trigger.

I, too, was hoping for discounted prices. No change from August prices. RCG raised priced in Sept/Oct and then with this "sale" reset them to previous prices. They may go back up, but I was bit hard by the fund monster. Almost $3k in refunds. We canceled March 2020 and didnt see resolution until mid-August because they didnt refund to original form of payment, as is written on every CP purchase receipt. 

On 11/25/2020 at 6:28 PM, Neesa said:

@Baked AlaskaI second this. The way things were finally refunded was a crazy mess, no ryme or reason. @Sharlahas my back when it comes to fares but i don't feel at ease on my own with RCCL cruise planner purchases. I truly agree whole heartedly with YOU!

I wish I could check out everyone's cruise planner purchases and fares too! Or, maybe Royal Caribbean could switch to an all-inclusive option like Celebrity has. I wonder if that's in the cards? Some people wouldn't like it for sure. 

59 minutes ago, Sharla said:

Or, maybe Royal Caribbean could switch to an all-inclusive option like Celebrity has.

No Sharla, please no. ? Not unless it is genuinely an option and not imposed on everyone.

The problem with all-inclusive is that it includes drinks, which is fine for most people, who will mostly get their money's but totally not alright for the small minority of us who don't drink more than a soda or a beer per day. I did the math on the Celebrity all-inclusive, based on their estimated per-day "value" of the package and it worked out we would be paying close to 60 dollars each for that one soda or beer! ? Guess we won't be sailing Celebrity any time soon unless they come up with an opt-out option.

14 hours ago, Sharla said:

I wish I could check out everyone's cruise planner purchases and fares too! Or, maybe Royal Caribbean could switch to an all-inclusive option like Celebrity has. I wonder if that's in the cards? Some people wouldn't like it for sure. 

@Baked Alaska And this is why we LOVE @Sharla!! Caring in the dictionary = @Sharla

15 hours ago, FionaMG said:

No Sharla, please no. ? Not unless it is genuinely an option and not imposed on everyone.

The problem with all-inclusive is that it includes drinks, which is fine for most people, who will mostly get their money's but totally not alright for the small minority of us who don't drink more than a soda or a beer per day. I did the math on the Celebrity all-inclusive, based on their estimated per-day "value" of the package and it worked out we would be paying close to 60 dollars each for that one soda or beer! ? Guess we won't be sailing Celebrity any time soon unless they come up with an opt-out option.

I can see both sides of it. It's kind of like baggage fees or resort fees that aren't added in but you have to pay. Gratuities should be included IMO, as should soda. Celebrity is a higher end product than Royal Caribbean, so it makes a lot of sense for them to have that model. I'm sure a lot of Royal guests would actually like it. 

32 minutes ago, Sharla said:

I can see both sides of it. It's kind of like baggage fees or resort fees that aren't added in but you have to pay. Gratuities should be included IMO, as should soda. Celebrity is a higher end product than Royal Caribbean, so it makes a lot of sense for them to have that model. I'm sure a lot of Royal guests would actually like it. 

I totally can see both sides too and I'm sure you're absolutely right that lots of guests would like it. In fact, I actually would have no issue with it being the default option as long as there was an opt-out facility for guests whose needs/preferences don't fit in with the all-inclusive concept.