Getting Reluctant

Al Horner

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Do you have some kind of tracking blocker or other privacy extension installed? Ghostery, 1Blocker, something else? Those will block all tracking cookies and sometimes even the comment libraries used by sites.

If you have one of them installed, try white-listing the site and see if that makes it work any better for actually remembering you / keeping you logged in.

Thanks for those tips.  I never had this problem before.

1 hour ago, RBRSKI said:

Thanks for those tips.  I never had this problem before.

I keep an eye on security-related tech notes and developments, partly out of personal interest, partly as kind of a side duty for my job. Operating systems and some browser extensions are getting more aggressive at blocking tracking cookies, third-party "analytics" tools that a lot of companies put into their sites, and other things with every update. Sometimes it goes a little too far and ends up disabling things like these forums or the ability to just stay logged in to a site without constantly logging in on every visit, until you take the step of telling them to just allow everything and treat the site as trusted.

I've been dealing with that more and more, even when I click those "Remember Me" checkboxes. Not sure why that is, but it's definitely becoming a bit annoying. I personally value security over ease of use, so I'm putting up with it where it hits me and it's not a site I feel like white-listing. But that doesn't mean it doesn't annoy the spit out of me after long enough. ? 

9 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Cool

I am not a tech savvy person at all, and if I dont click it, I can't post responses.  It asks me for email address which is weird.  I use advance care computer cleaner once or twice a week.  Would this be the problem?

I'm not familiar with that product, so can't say if it's contributing to the problem. It could be related to Matt's relatively recent site redesign, where the new underlying software could be coming into conflict with that tool, or with something else. All I can tell you is that with 1Blocker, which is my standard browser extension to block everything that isn't hosted by or marked as owned by the main web site (and even some stuff that is), I had to tell it to allow everything on the site before I could simply read the forum posts, never mind post replies or new posts.

May want to check if that tool you use has a similar function available. It could be that it's cleaning up the browser cookies created to keep you logged in, and doing it more often than you come into the site.