Cruises from Tampa will be cancelled until 2nd quarter 2021

Sad to hear if true but it Makes sense as Tampa can only handle smaller ships and the major lines will most likely start up with bigger ships that are better for distancing and another thing to keep in mind with Tampa is the port is consider by most of the cruise lines as a secondary market in the industry.  

Please No! I literally drove to the Port of Tampa yesterday, so sad so empty dreaming of my Brilliance sailing.....It was depressing, closed down establishments no people anywhere, so quiet. The gates to the parking garage closed & locked. I'm sailing in Q2 in June but would love to see life sooner, and those poor business owners, gees I just can't. Will they survive?

florida GIF

3 hours ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Sad to hear if true but it Makes sense as Tampa can only handle smaller ships and the major lines will most likely start up with bigger ships that are better for distancing and another thing to keep in mind with Tampa is the port is consider by most of the cruise lines as a secondary market in the industry.  

I didn't get into a long conversation with my contact but he said no ships will be sailing from Tampa until around May but that date could change. They are working on a plan to re-open Tampa but it's going to take a while. It's not just Royal but it's all cruise lines sailing from Tampa

What you have heard for Tampa can likely be applied to most cruising in general.  While they might get ships like Mariner and Navigator sailing before Q2 the rest of the fleet will remain out of service.  

I do wish Royal would be more transparent and open as some other lines have been.  Royal is always last to cancel.

It appears this is false information or the Port Authority wants to keep it close hold and not tell anyone in the office. This answer was posted on another site when asked about closure for next year.

Good morning (Name Removed, not mine).  In March 2020 the CDC issued a No Sail Order that was applicable to all cruise ports in the US including Tampa.  The No Sail Order was lifted effective November 2020 with conditions set on returning to sail.  To be clear, Port Tampa Bay (aka port of Tampa) is not closed to cruising, rather cruise lines are establishing (or have established) protocols to return to sailing and when the protocols are met the cruise lines will begin sailing again and Port Tampa Bay will be ready to receive the ships.  I hope this clarifies for you.  

Best regards,

Greg Lovelace
Senior Director of Business Development
Port Tampa Bay

Cruise lines want to be the source of truth so whenever a port employee says something they are quick to react.  We see the same when a port posts some future ship booking that can provide insight to ship itineraries.  One phone call from the cruise line and the information is removed from public view.  Hope the employee is question doesn't get fired.  

6 hours ago, mworkman said:

It appears this is false information or the Port Authority wants to keep it close hold and not tell anyone in the office. This answer was posted on another site when asked about closure for next year.

Good morning (Name Removed, not mine).  In March 2020 the CDC issued a No Sail Order that was applicable to all cruise ports in the US including Tampa.  The No Sail Order was lifted effective November 2020 with conditions set on returning to sail.  To be clear, Port Tampa Bay (aka port of Tampa) is not closed to cruising, rather cruise lines are establishing (or have established) protocols to return to sailing and when the protocols are met the cruise lines will begin sailing again and Port Tampa Bay will be ready to receive the ships.  I hope this clarifies for you.  

Best regards,

Greg Lovelace
Senior Director of Business Development
Port Tampa Bay

Thank  you !!! Such "misinformation" from third-party tends to be unreliable, but now we have a good soure.