It's confirmed. Tracelet on Board

chaotah

10 minutes ago, Sailor_to_Cruiser said:

Does this app require Internet connection to work?  If so, are we going to see better pricing at least for voom?

If internet is required for track and trace on ship then cruiselines or local government should be responsible for providing the necessary requirements not the passenger. 

7 hours ago, Sailor_to_Cruiser said:

Does this app require Internet connection to work?  If so, are we going to see better pricing at least for voom?

7 hours ago, Ray said:

If internet is required for track and trace on ship then cruiselines or local government should be responsible for providing the necessary requirements not the passenger. 

Does not require Internet to work, GPS not required too. Only Bluetooth. How it works it will handshake with other TraceTogether App/Token as close contact and stored locally. Only when you are suspected to be in contact with a Covid-19 case, our Health Ministry will provide a pass code for you to upload the handshakes data to the Ministry database for contact tracing (otherwise upload is not possible) 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Which Quantum sailing are you booked on?

Going on 17th Dec if nothing goes wrong 

4 minutes ago, chaotah said:

Does not require Internet to work, GPS not required too. Only Bluetooth. How it works it will handshake with other TraceTogether App/Token as close contact and stored locally. Only when you are suspected to be in contact with a Covid-19 case, our Health Ministry will provide a pass code for you to upload the handshakes data to the Ministry database for contact tracing (otherwise upload is not possible) 

I believe this is how the Tracelet will be functioning too except for RCCL will have full access to your data. They can even install fixed points everywhere on board which will interface with the Tracelet, and they will have full access to where everyone is at any point of time onboard. 

On 11/23/2020 at 10:34 AM, MLH said:

Do you have to carry your phone with you at all times?

Just to clear up some confusion: Tracetogether is a Singapore govt mandated app for use which has been rolled out nationwide here since June when Covid was at it's height here. So essentially for the Quantum sailings in Dec, Jan and moving forward, what RCI is saying is that all who board must have the Tracetogether app loaded , and yes, technically, we are supposed to have the phone on us at all times. Tracetogether is also being rolled out in a hardware token form; so one would need either the App or the token in order to board. Both the app and the token works by exchanging bluetooth signals to log those other devices that are within close proximity to yours, to allow for contact tracing in the event of an outbreak.

The tracelet, however, is an RCI initiative. I gather that it's a wristband and it functions the same way. So essentially we are obligated to have TWO contact tracing mechanisms on us at all times.

Which makes me wonder how are we going to the pool or the surfing with those on us? ? 

On 11/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, chaotah said:

Going on 17th Dec if nothing goes wrong 

Yo, Hope you have a good trip. I'm booked on the Jan cruise. Any form of holiday will do these days, we're having serious "cabin fever" issues at home!

On 11/23/2020 at 2:26 AM, Ray said:

Hi Ray, that's an interesting point. The tracetogether app has two functions - one is exchanging BT signals with other apps/ phones/ devices, i.e data logging of other devices in close proximity. That DOESN"T need an internet connection.

However, internet connection is needed for checking in and out of venues, and for updating the govt databases used for this app. For eg , when I turn off my internet on my phone and start up Tracetogether, I get a message saying I have no internet connection and I wouldn't be able to check my "COVID possible exposure status" (the app gives regular updates to users on whether you were somehow near or connected to someone else who has had COVID recently, i gather).

Long story short, the app still works without internet, but you won't be able to get "health updates and statuses". I'm not sure how RCI intends to work around that if one doesn't purchase the VOOM package. They might tweak their on board wifi to allow only Tracetogether to work.

1 hour ago, kc1968 said:

I'm not sure how RCI intends to work around that if one doesn't purchase the VOOM package. They might tweak their on board wifi to allow only Tracetogether to work.

This applies for me as only my wife purchases Voom so she can keep in contact with kids back home in case of emergency and post the occasional thing on Unsocial media (cant call it social when everyone just sits on their phones )

When on vacation i only use the camera on my phone, im on vacation i dont need to be checking my phone every time it bleeps just to find out it was a Bogof offer from Dominos Pizza etc and i dont have any unsocial media sites ( i have a life instead ) lol