Using my mobile phone to make wifi calls on VOOM

Gibbo007

40 minutes ago, Gibbo007 said:

Sailing on a cruise in February 2022, can I use VOOM to make a wifi phone call to another guest onboard the same ship?

Instead of trying that, we have used a chat feature of Royal's Ap to contact others.  Not sure which ship you will be on or that status of their infrastructure in 2022.  With COVID, I believe the Ap will be deployed on all ships.  I am sure others have a more direct and accurate answer to your question.

We have used VOOM before to call our daughters through FaceTime and audio many times before, both when they were left at home and when they were on board with us.  I have also used VOOM to video chat (through Whatsapp) with my sisters back at home.  So yes, it does work, both with those on board and with those not.

1 hour ago, Gibbo007 said:

Sailing on a cruise in February 2022, can I use VOOM to make a wifi phone call to another guest onboard the same ship?

Yes, you should be able to. 

I think it might work better to use a common app to make the call, like Skype or Facebook Messenger or Facetime to make the call because there is less "overhead"

As long as both parties have a Voom plan and both parties have a cell phone and cellular provider that supports WiFi calling.  Make sure to test and use WiFi calling at home before boarding. 

Some US based cellular providers only enable wifi calling the very first time you enable it if the phone is on their cellular network at the time.  The phone needs to check in with the cellular provider on their network to enable the feature.  Once wifi calling is initially enabled and working then it doesn't matter.