Hotel recommendations Civitavecchia

Jill

27 minutes ago, Jill said:

Looking for hotel for night before cruise. Depending on when our flight gets into Rome, we may opt to head to Civitavecchia to stay the night before. Nothing fancy needed. 

Thanks! 

When I searched for hotels over there I did not found any known chain so I can not recommend . For my cruise that cancelled we planned to stay at one of the airport hotel and take a ride to the cruise terminal ( around 70-80 minutes). If you are coming after long flight I would recommend to do the same. You will also decide to take the train to Rome if you will feel like. 

From what I recall, Civitavecchia is only a port and there are no hotels nearby. Best stay at the airport and take a taxi to the port, but this is quite expensive. I was quoted £100 ($130) for a taxi from the port to the airport at the end of a cruise that was cancelled due to COVID. The cruise line may offer a bus transfer but I think that is also quite expensive.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, Traveler said:

When I searched for hotels over there I did not found any known chain 

Mercure is a well know chain over this side of the pond.

On 11/21/2020 at 9:27 PM, Jim S said:

From what I recall, Civitavecchia is only a port and there are no hotels nearby. 

Various hotel websites say nearest hotel is 0.2m to cruiseport with numerous others within a mile or so ( of course its google so it could br wrong lol ) 

17 hours ago, Ray said:

Mercure is a well know chain over this side of the pond.

Various hotel websites say nearest hotel is 0.2m to cruiseport with numerous others within a mile or so ( of course its google so it could br wrong lol ) 

I stand corrected. I see from booking.com that there are some hotels not too far from the port. I never noticed any on the three occasions that I have been there. I suppose that I was just not looking for them at the time. However, I still think that it would be better to stay at the airport or in Rome and take a taxi to the port on cruise day. ??

3 hours ago, Jim S said:

I stand corrected. I see from booking.com that there are some hotels not too far from the port. I never noticed any on the three occasions that I have been there. I suppose that I was just not looking for them at the time. However, I still think that it would be better to stay at the airport or in Rome and take a taxi to the port on cruise day. ??

Must admit an extra day in Rome would appeal to me , only reason i would go to port day before is i know how bad other European countries are for just going on strike and causing chaos with trains, buses etc 

• 2 years later...

What is the situation post-Covid? Has much changed? Except the prices of course ... 😄

I consider arriving a day in advance and look at the hotels near Fiumicino airport, but many prices are steep and often the hotels don't allow check-in until late afternoon. Something simple and safe for 1 night with breakfast would be sufficient for me.

The transfer to the cruise terminal can be booked through Royal, but does anyone know if this is only from the airport to the terminal or if you can also be picked up from your hotel?

Thank you

On 4/23/2023 at 6:29 PM, Mr.Cruiser said:

What is the situation post-Covid? Has much changed? Except the prices of course ... 😄

I consider arriving a day in advance and look at the hotels near Fiumicino airport, but many prices are steep and often the hotels don't allow check-in until late afternoon. Something simple and safe for 1 night with breakfast would be sufficient for me.

The transfer to the cruise terminal can be booked through Royal, but does anyone know if this is only from the airport to the terminal or if you can also be picked up from your hotel?

Thank you

So since this was my post originally…..I booked a great Airbnb in Civitavecchia right at the port. $200 for the night for all 4 of us. Had an awesome 4 course tapas with wine pairing that night. We thoroughly enjoyed it plus we were on the ship by 10:30. 

I booked all of our transfers with Daniele Your Driver in Rome. Excellent company. On time every time 

Last summer, we stayed at the NH Roma Palazzo Cinquecento in Rome.  It is right outside the main train station in Rome.  It is really easy to get the train from the airport direct to the main train station.  Then there are trains in the morning direct to the port.  We walked from the train station to the port, but it was a bit of a slog on the heat.  On the return, we took a cab to the train station.  We stayed in Rome a couple of days after the cruise at the same hotel.  My sister stayed across the street at a Best Western that was less expensive, but fine for an overnight.

The trains in Italy are very affordable and they do not need to deal with traffic.

In the heat, Rome is best in the evening.  The Metro (at the train station) is cool and goes directly to the Collisseum which is beautiful at night.

If you take the train, I would take a cab to the port which is only about 5 minutes or so.  The cab will drop you at a shuttle that takes you to the ship.  You can walk to the shuttle, but if it is hot (highly likely), the walk is kind of miserable while rolling bags.