Explorer of the Seas January 2021

Pookie

I'm starting this Live Blog with the most optimistic of intentions and utmost hope that we will be able to sail.  I wonder if they actually place bets in Vegas as to when cruising will resume...  The last Live Blog I wrote was from the middle of February 2020, a few short weeks before cruising was shut down due to the dreaded Covid. On that cruise we did our first Star Class on the Oasis.

Since that time, quite a few life altering events have happened.  I was laid off work for 2 months. My husband has been working from home since March.  He works from our closet and is using an old boat swim platform as a desk. work.jpg.39c5a15732f2f35cbb9ace4f2876ec03.jpg

In May, we were inundated with rain (I believe 8 inches), and had 4 dams fail in our area.  We were not directly impacted by this catastrophe, but people we know had houses, boats etc., swept away or their houses were under water.  Every bridge below these dams was washed away.  At that time, I was back to work so instead of having a 45 minute drive to work, I had an hour and a half.  In the scheme of things, no big, as compared to all who had lakeside property.

When our state opened back up for business, hubbie and I went out to dinner, had a few glasses of wineDrinking GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY to celebrate being able to be social again.  On the way home, we decided to stop to a small beach and watch the sun set.  Apparently, I was out of practice with the whole drinking thing and my 56 year old self decided to strip down to skivvies and go swimming.  We were sharing the area with another husband and wife and the husband was washing their dog in the lake.  In my excitement to go swimming, I was not watching where I was walking and twisted my ankle and went down hard.  There I was, writhing around in the sand in excruciating pain, when the dog raced out of the water and started humping my head.  In my mind, everything was in slow motion, but hubbie quickly half carried me to the truck and home we went.  Two things of note, actually three. 1) I severely strained my ankle and limped for a couple weeks 2) There was sand everywhere-in the truck-dribbled throughout the house-in the bed. 3 ) The following day I asked hubster if I was hallucinating that the dog that took a liking to my head had only three legs and he assured me that it did indeed only have three legs. Life experience #102,049, humped on the head by a 3 legged dog.  How many people can claim that?

I do not know how these things happen to me.  It is a well known fact that I am not particularly graceful, however.

Toward the end of October we caught the dreaded Covid.   I can tell you I would not wish this upon my worst enemy.  We both made it through without having to be put in the hospital and for that I am profoundly grateful.

I am not one to wish my life away, but I will be glad when 2020 is in the rearview mirror.

Back to dreaming of cruising!  We are booked on the Explorer of the Seas for the end of January.  We are thinking that if it is cancelled, we will just move it to another time, but still fly to Florida and hangout there on vacation.  Hopefully, all this Covid business will have fallen by the wayside by then.

My experience with checking in:  I tried every few days since the 90 day mark to check in.  I kept receiving an error that there was a glitch and to try later.  Two days ago, (72 days to go) I was able to check in and can view my boarding passes.  I am concerned that when I tried to book a cruise on the same ship, same date, nothing shows up on Royal's site.

What is everyone else's experience with check ins, etc.?

Pookie

Even before I looked up your location info, I knew you had to be living in Michigan!  I’m mid state, so I wasn’t personally impacted, but have some co- workers who were.  Overall, this is a year I’m sure none of us will forget   

Here’s to hoping that 2021 offers you more positive experiences, beginning with your cruise!  

@Pookie I have had a similar experience for our cruise booked for January 31. I tried to check in every few days and only a few days ago was I able to actually get it to work. I can not see the boarding passes though. I am hopeful for a cruise as this was to be our first foray into Star Class but we will see. 

I agree with @Lovetocruise2002, your writing makes me laugh and I loved your last blog!

45 minutes ago, JVPIII said:

@Pookie I have had a similar experience for our cruise booked for January 31. I tried to check in every few days and only a few days ago was I able to actually get it to work. I can not see the boarding passes though. I am hopeful for a cruise as this was to be our first foray into Star Class but we will see. 

I agree with @Lovetocruise2002, your writing makes me laugh and I loved your last blog!

I hope you are able to go.  Star class is fantastic.  It looks like all your previous cruises were with another cruise line?  And this will be your first time with Royal?  So far out of all our Royal cruises, Oasis is our favorite ship and we are definitely #teamDeck17! ????

1 hour ago, Pookie said:

I hope you are able to go.  Star class is fantastic.  It looks like all your previous cruises were with another cruise line?  And this will be your first time with Royal?  So far out of all our Royal cruises, Oasis is our favorite ship and we are definitely #teamDeck17! ????

Yeah all of my other cruises were with Carnival but we really want to check out the suite amenities with Royal. Even if we don’t get to go on this cruise we are booked again for 2022. I don’t want to wait another year but I will if I have to. We are booked in aqua theater 2 bedroom so no deck 17 but still should be a great time.