Booking a cabin with 3 singles

TimO

Hello!

We are planning a cruise with a group of friends and have 3 single friends who want to stay in a cabin together. Two quick questions:

1) is there a way for them to book/pay separately? Especially thinking about onboard purchases.

2) does the drink package rule of “all adults over 21 in the room must get it” still apply to them?

thanks!

9 minutes ago, TimO said:

Hello!

We are planning a cruise with a group of friends and have 3 single friends who want to stay in a cabin together. Two quick questions:

1) is there a way for them to book/pay separately? Especially thinking about onboard purchases.

2) does the drink package rule of “all adults over 21 in the room must get it” still apply to them?

thanks!

1) there is a way for each person to pay separately for their individual cruise fare just buy logging into theirs cruise planner account (if they have created an cruise planner account) & then click on pay my cruise (if the reservation/booking # has been added to there cruise planner account) or they can call royal Caribbean and provide the automated system/representative with there name& reservation #then say make a payment & then the amount that they would like to pay toward the price of the cruise and last they would need to provide the automated payment system/ representative with there payment information so that the payment can be processed. 
when they do the online checkin I think that each person can use a different form of payment then the other people that is on the same reservation.

2) if 1 adult 21 or older in the room get the Unlimited drink package (alcoholic drink package) then all adults in the room also has to get the unlimited drink package but if there is some people that is 21 or older staying in the same room with the adults that want the unlimited drink package then you would have to call royal Caribbean and tell them the names of the people who wants that unlimited drink package package and also tell them the names of the people who don’t want the unlimited drink package and tell them a reason that they don’t drink and then they will have to purchase the refreshment package (nonalcoholic drink package) for the adults who don’t drink alcoholic beverages and the unlimited drink package for those adults who do drink alcoholic beverages.

12 hours ago, TimO said:

is there a way for them to book/pay separately? Especially thinking about onboard purchases.

Yes, work with a travel agent to arrange payments between the 3 of you. Much simpler that way.

For onboard purchases, each of you can set up your own credit card tied to your onboard purchases during check in.

12 hours ago, TimO said:

does the drink package rule of “all adults over 21 in the room must get it” still apply to them?

Yup

14 hours ago, TimO said:

I second what @Matt said above.  We booked a Villa (holds 14 people) and our TA made it seamless for all 14 of us to all pay separately.  With group bookings, much easier to use a TA.  It doesn't cost you anything, but saves you a lot of headache.

And yes, unfortunately, by sharing the same cabin, if one adult over 21 gets the drink package, all will have to.

I've shared a cabin with another frequent cruiser well known in certain cruise circles...

It was my booking as a solo originally and I asked my travel agent to add him to the booking.  He paid the additional taxes directly through my agent, I didn't need to be involved on that phone call or relay his credit card number.  I don't even know what kind of card he used.  He had to buy the drink package because I had bought the drink package.  My travel agent handled that when he paid his taxes.  We did have to work jointly together when the drink package went on sale because it was easier to do the math and split the costs of the drink package on sale.  We could have called and worked through it on the phone but it was easier working out that cost and the cost of the ultimate dining package that we both decided to purchase. 

We weren't required to both purchase the dining package but we both wanted it.  I had some OBC on the booking so it took some math to figure out the costs of these items and how to split them equitably but planning the cruise, discussing and buying these items is half the fun of going on a cruise.   

We both prepaid gratuity so my travel agent dealt with those charges on each of credit cards.  We both bought a Voom package.

He was able to see the reservation in the "My Cruises" section of the Royal website.  He checked in normally using his own credit card.  I checked in normally with my credit card.  He printed his own SetSail pass at home.  I printed my SetSail pass at home.  I don't know when he checked in online, he doesn't know when I checked in online, we each did this at our own pace.

Whatever purchases he made on board, if any, I don't recall.  I may have been able to review his account using the TV menu and he may have been able to look at my account on the TV.  I'm not sure I bought anything onboard so that was a moot point in our circumstance.

If did get interesting when a hurricane caused our cruise to be modified and Royal offered FCC as compensation.  Some FCC was allocated to me, some FCC was allocated to him.  We both stayed on the modified cruise and got an extra day for free.  They also extended our drink, dining and voom packages for free.  At that point I viewed the FCC as "free" money that we weren't expecting so I didn't get hung up in how it was distributed.  I had originally paid a 200% solo supplement and he had just paid his taxes.  I suppose I could have argued that all of the FCC should have been mine since I paid the cruise fare but it was free money and the cruise was great so I accepted the FCC distribution and we both walked away with a nice FCC "gift prize". 

I only mention this so that you can think about how this might apply to your scenario should something happen with the cruise and FCC comes into play.  Royal seems to spin the wheel and randomly apply FCC using some weird algorithm sometimes so it's something to consider to make sure friendships aren't impacted when Royal does their wild and weird FCC calculation and distribution.  

The only thing I lost was an extra C&A point per night for not being solo.   

As everyone else stated  everyone in the room must get the alcohol drink package if one does, UNLESS ROyal carribean is contacted for the "excusal" (need a valid reason)  and then those excused must buy a royal refreshment package.
 FYI Black Friday time seems to have the best pricing for drink packages.  IF you miss that window you can continuously check for sales.
The only problem I have with purchasing a drink package with unrelated people, you make the whole purchase on your credit card and you need to get their money (and then note somewhere you did in case of cancellations). 

The second issue , which I have not yet happen, but I believe will happen,  is if one person drops off the reservation....will the drink package have to be dropped and then repurchased?  meaning I might miss out on that bargain price I had!