Talk me off the ledge

krhardy

So I *may* have overreacted and flown off the handle at my mother in law today. First, let me say that I love my in laws. They are wonderful people, and have always treated me as well as if she had given birth to me. 
But, they fall under what I consider "COVID paranoia". I understand people who are "COVID cautious", but they are beyond that. Plus, they are not general fans of the cruise industry anyway, and I think would be happy if this were the catalyst to cause the demise of the industry.
We are vacationing with them in the North Georgia mountains this weekend (annual family trip we've taken for 20+ years), and at breakfast my mother in law says "I suppose you heard about the cruise ship quarantined in the Caribbean full of COVID...this is why no ships should be sailing".
First of all...it was a luxury yacht, not a cruise ship, which is why it could sail at all. Second, there are currently 5 cases onboard...not a "ship full of COVID+ cases"...and I went on and on. I feel like I should apologize, because I really do love her, but I'm so emotionally spent right now that her comment just sent me over the edge. <sigh>...why are families so complicated?

8 minutes ago, krhardy said:

So I *may* have overreacted and flown off the handle at my mother in law today. First, let me say that I love my in laws. They are wonderful people, and have always treated me as well as if she had given birth to me. 
But, they fall under what I consider "COVID paranoia". I understand people who are "COVID cautious", but they are beyond that. Plus, they are not general fans of the cruise industry anyway, and I think would be happy if this were the catalyst to cause the demise of the industry.
We are vacationing with them in the North Georgia mountains this weekend (annual family trip we've taken for 20+ years), and at breakfast my mother in law says "I suppose you heard about the cruise ship quarantined in the Caribbean full of COVID...this is why no ships should be sailing".
First of all...it was a luxury yacht, not a cruise ship, which is why it could sail at all. Second, there are currently 5 cases onboard...not a "ship full of COVID+ cases"...and I went on and on. I feel like I should apologize, because I really do love her, but I'm so emotionally spent right now that her comment just sent me over the edge. <sigh>...why are families so complicated?

Not a bad time to to both correct your m-i-l and apologize for your reaction.  It ****COULD**** be an opportunity to explain how cruise ships are not a petri dish.  Maybe she will rethink things a bit.  Good luck.

"Squirrel!" would be my got to response also.

But when I do have my 5-cent shingle out (laymen, not pro ;>), I suggest quid pro quo.....something like "I won't annoy you with how I feel about the cruise industry if you don't embellish the facts"  might be a good trade-off.

My gut would be to leave it alone until they bring it up again.

Then you can start into the "if you're THAT concerned about the spread of the virus, why are we together this weekend?" approach. Call out the hypocrisy of over-the-top virus concerns vs. gathering as a group in confined spaces just because it's a family tradition.

***Point of fact - I tend to be a pot-stirrer when provoked, so YMMV.***

I agree with the above, it's not worth the argument. Been there, done that, they know better than you, even have "insider info" (Insert eye roll).

Honestly, without knowing voice tones and volume it's hard to say if she took it as a personal attack or not.

I'd say, to relieve yourself, a simple... "If I came across as a jerk before, I apologize. It's not you personally, I just get fired up with all the incorrect facts the media drills into people about the cruise industry."

47 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Then you can start into the "if you're THAT concerned about the spread of the virus, why are we together this weekend?" 

My first thoughts also! 

Doesnt matter if its on a cruiseship or on land risk involved is the same! Just ask the family of 6 involved in the cruiseship covid case! 

Try this ..... sort-of a combination of "this is not a personal attack against you" advice you got up thread and then lay out these facts on the table. Write them down and let your in-laws read them:

• What was described as a cruise line debacle in March 2020 by the press anxious to lay blame on the spread of the virus to something, accounted for < 0.05% of global COVID cases over the month of March.
  • Italy, China and a few weeks later other countries in the EU followed by NYC were epic debacles where thousands of people not only got COVID but died in droves. 5 people died from COVID that could be traced back to becoming infected on a cruise ship.
  • Despite what the press makes cruise ships out to be, right now, given the adoption of mitigation measures recommended in the STS Plan, congregate settings like cruise ships will present an environment with a lower probability of becoming infected with COVID than the family gathering we are at right now, any large gathering like weddings, house parties or spectator attended sporting events, most restaurants and bars, going to the grocery store or ay retail store.

Misinformation and disinformation is the bane of my existence and it is everywhere. Disinformation is purposeful. There is a need to be aware that it is out there and designed to seed fear and lack of trust in all things official. The best advice for your in-laws is to always endeavor to seek alternative viewpoints or answers to all issues you have interest in or wish to comment on....see all sides.

You just gained a new fan.

I'm so tired of ignorant people touting that worn-out catch phrase  "floating petri dish" and not having a clue about what

the CLIA, and Royal and Norwegian especially, have done to mitigate any risk to passenger or crewmember.  Good for 

you to stick up for yourself (and us, too) by standing up to ignorance.

Come January, no matter how you voted, we are going to have to really prepare for a possible death of cruising.  The 

current administration seems to want businesses and corporations (i.e. cruise lines) to open asap, whilst the incoming 

group seen to want to shut it down.   I'm very apolitical, but that's how I'm seeing it.