Did I make mistake? Aft cabin Alaska.

Jill

Hi, I'm Rob and i am an "aft junkie?"

But seriously, I have done this in Alaska and loved it!  We adjusted quite easily to looking at where you have been instead of where you are going. The break from the wind chill is a big plus too. The negative for this class of ship will be that you are on deck ten which is under the outdoor dining area. 

See the source image

37 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Hi, I'm Rob and i am an "aft junkie?"

But seriously, I have done this in Alaska and loved it!  We adjusted quite easily to looking at where you have been instead of where you are going. The break from the wind chill is a big plus too. The negative for this class of ship will be that you are on deck ten which is under the outdoor dining area. 

See the source image

Does anyone eat outside in Alaska? Lol 

I have not done an aft cabin on an AK cruise, but what I can say is that if I had that opportunity when we booked ours I would have taken it GLADLY.  I we had a junior suite on the starboard side on a northbound cruise.  Think of it this way you get to see everything we saw but in rather than just getting one side of the ship you get to see both sides and in both directions.  I would GLADLY take that spot if you do not want it!!!!  ?

Aft cabins are great, I've got a corner aft on Serenade but it's a placeholder depending what happens with Ovation coming up from down under in that time frame.

In Alaska you may find yourself out of your cabin and all over the ship.  Days at a glacier are best experienced all over the ship, down to close to water, high on the pool deck for a different perspective and when the position is right from your balcony.   The point is don't glue yourself even to an awesome aft balcony.  See Alaska and the glaciers from all over the ship seeking the solitude of your balcony when you tire of the crowds or the views are the best.  

19 minutes ago, Jill said:

So I went back and looked at our suite. It’s a corner aft port. I think I made the right decision! #1100

4990F924-75C9-4854-801C-69188AA74874.png

That's the cabin I was looking at on Radiance! Before my family shut me down, that is. ?

I think you'll really like, even if I've never been on it. Should give you fantastic views when you want to sit and relax away from everyone else, and the balcony looks enormous!

9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

That's the cabin I was looking at on Radiance! Before my family shut me down, that is. ?

I think you'll really like, even if I've never been on it. Should give you fantastic views when you want to sit and relax away from everyone else, and the balcony looks enormous!

I’ll let you know how it is in 531 days! 

2 hours ago, mattymay said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier vs Hubbard Glacier?

Both are special in their own ways but Hubbard is much more impressive as a glacier.  Disenchantment Bay and the approach to Hubbard is not as stunning as Endicott Arm and seeing a massive cruise ship navigating a narrow passage is a treat.  

So Endicott has a stunning approach to a smaller Dawes Glacier while Disenchantment Bay is more of a plain approach to a stunning Hubbard Glacier.  When the sun is out the departure from Hubbard's Disenchantment Bay can yield some nice scenic views that aren't as evident on the approach.  

The narrowness of Endicott Arm does cause more missed calls when the ice is more active.   Disenchantment Bay is more open so that's less of a thing but still possible.  

If I could only pick one thinking it's the only time in my life sort of thing I'd pick Hubbard.  It's pretty much the premiere tide water glacier of Alaska cruise itineraries.  

Cue the video...

Radiance went closer to Hubbard than Ovation.  This calving video is from Radiance.

Both time lapse videos are from Ovation:

Time lapse of Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier

Time lapse of Disenchantment Bay and Hubbard Glacier

@twangster Thanks! Is the calving a regular occurrence or did you just get lucky?

It seems for 2022 only the Radiance class do Hubbard and Quantum class do Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.  We booked Serenade to change it up from mostly doing Quantum class, was just making sure we weren't missing out on something better. Like you say this will probably be a one time only thing.

1 hour ago, mattymay said:

@twangster Thanks! Is the calving a regular occurrence or did you just get lucky?

It seems for 2022 only the Radiance class do Hubbard and Quantum class do Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier.  We booked Serenade to change it up from mostly doing Quantum class, was just making sure we weren't missing out on something better. Like you say this will probably be a one time only thing.

I've only been to Hubbard three times so my sample size yields my results meaningless.  That video was the best experience on one of three cruises.

I don't know enough about calving of tidewater glaciers to know if I got lucky that one time or I got less lucky the two other times.   Crew will tell you Alaska changes every week.  Despite repeating the same cruises all season, no two Alaska cruises are the same they say.  Week to week it's more whales, less eagles then more eagles, less seals then more rain, less bears and so on.  

Ovation's call on Hubbard that one time may go down in history as a one-off.  That was my third visit and we stayed the furthest away.  There may be nautical or ice reasons why but I know I got closer on Millenium and Radiance compared to Ovation.

I'm booked on Serenade because it calls on Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan.  As Royal goes that is a special itinerary.  

I like Quantum class.  There's a lot to like about Quantum class.  In this case I booked Serenade for the itinerary.  There is nothing wrong with Radiance class except it's not the new ship feeling you get on Quantum class.  Despite that the itinerary won this battle.  

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

II'm booked on Serenade because it calls on Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan.  As Royal goes that is a special itinerary.  

I like Quantum class.  There's a lot to like about Quantum class.  In this case I booked Serenade for the itinerary.  There is nothing wrong with Radiance class except it's not the new ship feeling you get on Quantum class.  Despite that the itinerary won this battle.  

Yes, from my limited knowledge on Alaska, the Serenade itinerary did seem better.

I do like Quantum class as well, but seems we have had Ovation and soon to be Quantum frequenting in our region a change of scenery was needed indoors as well.

Now to tell the children I've traded Caribbean beaches for Alaskan ice! ?