Turtle Encounter & Island Tour on Grand Cayman

DublinFC

Has anyone here experienced this excursion on Grand Cayman?  I know everything is subject to personal opinion, but just wondering what you thoughts on this excursion are.  We grabbed it on sale and feel the price is worth checking it out.  I guess I am looking for expectations compared to the description/video Royal provides.

19 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

Has anyone here experienced this excursion on Grand Cayman?  I know everything is subject to personal opinion, but just wondering what you thoughts on this excursion are.  We grabbed it on sale and feel the price is worth checking it out.  I guess I am looking for expectations compared to the description/video Royal provides.

I'm not sure what the title of the excursion was that we took a number of years ago.  It included a trip to hell and a visit to the Turtle Farm.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the Turtle Farm.  I found the facilities to be modern and very interesting.  I recommend it and would go again.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm not sure what the title of the excursion was that we took a number of years ago.  It included a trip to hell and a visit to the Turtle Farm.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the Turtle Farm.  I found the facilities to be modern and very interesting.  I recommend it and would go again.

Yes, this includes a trip to Hell as well.  Good to know.  It sounds like an interesting adventure.

We did the turtle farm with a dolphin encounter. The turtle farm is.... well a turtle farm. There are lots of massive turtles to look at and small turtles to touch. There are also some other reptiles to look at. 

This was entertaining enough as a pit stop to the real excursion. My family consensus was 30-45 minutes here is more than enough and now that I've seen it I have no need to go again. The dolphin swim we did afterwards was SO COOL though and made the turtle farm feel less exciting.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:17 PM, JasonL said:

We did the turtle farm with a dolphin encounter. The turtle farm is.... well a turtle farm. There are lots of massive turtles to look at and small turtles to touch. There are also some other reptiles to look at. 

This was entertaining enough as a pit stop to the real excursion. My family consensus was 30-45 minutes here is more than enough and now that I've seen it I have no need to go again. The dolphin swim we did afterwards was SO COOL though and made the turtle farm feel less exciting.

We did a dolphin swim in Roatan a few years ago, loved it.  But, not looking to do it again so we decided on a different animal encounter.  

I think the order you did it in was great too.  Excitement of dolphins compared to easy going of the turtles has to be so different

We did an excursion last year on Grand Cayman that included a city tour, Hell and the Cayman Turtle Center. We had a great guide who made everything interesting, and really loved the turtles. I highly recommend the Turtle Center to anyone who has even a passing interest in sea turtles - we learned a lot, saw some massive and (massively old) sea turtles and got to pick up and hold some smaller ones. 

On 11/11/2020 at 12:24 PM, DublinFC said:

We did this a few years ago with our middle school-aged son, and we enjoyed it.  What caught my eye was the ability to snorkel in an artificial lagoon -- I enjoyed that after the turtle tour and before we bought lunch at their restaurant.

Next trip we are going to see the sting rays!

I have to differ with most people responding. While in Grand Cayman my wife and I did the dolphin swim and turtle farm. 

Let me preface this with a disclaimer that I am not a "tree hugger" or fanatic.

But visiting the turtle farm was quite disturbing. There were dozens of huge sea turtles in a relatively small swimming pool. They were swimming over each other and constantly bumping into each other. These are huge, old turtles that deserve a much larger place to roam.

Having said that I am going to contradict myself with my comment about the dolphins. My wife and I enjoyed swimming with he dolphins. These are much more intelligent mammals and they were fun to be around. While I realize that they are just going through the motions to get fed they seems to be treated much better and a much larger area to roam. Maybe it was because I got to interact with them that I didn't have the same response as with the turtles.

Maybe I am naïve and being in there is much easier on them than facing the competition in the real world, but it was hard to see that.