Nassau recommendations

Cruiseallday

Nassau is one of the few ports I haven't been to in the Caribbean. Is this a port worth getting off the ship for? We will be on the Allure next June and Nassau will be one of our ports. If we do decide to get off does anyone have any recommendations on what we should check out? Any excursion ideas? I have notice things seem to be more expensive than most islands but I was wondering if it was worth it. Thank you! 

lots of folks will say to skip this port but the few times I've gone I'd explored and had a great day. The first time we went to Atlantis, we got tickets direct from Atlantis' website, took a cab and beat the crowds and had a great day at the waterpark. The next time we got off and went to Junkanoo Beach, it was within walking distance and we just chilled for a couple hours and again had a great time. The first time years ago we went to the straw market and then I think Senior Frogs if memory serves (after Senior Frogs I may not remember right). The next time we go I plan to get a cab to one of the nice beaches (Doctors Beach? Cable beach? might be mixing up my islands) on our own and chill there for the day. I would also not be opposed to one of the Island Excursions- Pearl Island or Balmoral, etc off the ship.

If you haven't been I'd encourage you to get off the ship and decide yourself if it's worth it. We always have a great time where ever we go!

We did a self-guided walking tour in Nassau. I think we got it from Frommers. See the PDFs attached. It took us a leisurely couple of hours and we enjoyed it a lot.

The pics are the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle.

IMGP3213.thumb.JPG.7ac96125016586b533453535866a6f9f.JPG

IMGP3214.thumb.JPG.7b5a0086c5eb0612395d9042812cecae.JPG

IMGP3217.thumb.JPG.ebbf7590e7ef4251f8ef56fe38202679.JPG

walking tour nassau.pdf walking tour nassau_map.pdf

Twice in Nassau we booked excursions to Blue Lagoon Island - once just for a beach day and once with a Dolphin Swim. Both times we found the island to be super clean and well kept and the people working there friendly and helpful. Highly recommend the Dolphin Swim if it's something your family has interest in - we had a great time. On the beach day we reserved a 'half shell' shade with lounge chairs and I think it included a free drink per person. There seemed to be plenty of lounge chairs and space available for folks who didn't reserve a specific spot as well.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, Jacki_MEI said:

Twice in Nassau we booked excursions to Blue Lagoon Island - once just for a beach day and once with a Dolphin Swim. Both times we found the island to be super clean and well kept and the people working there friendly and helpful. Highly recommend the Dolphin Swim if it's something your family has interest in - we had a great time. On the beach day we reserved a 'half shell' shade with lounge chairs and I think it included a free drink per person. There seemed to be plenty of lounge chairs and space available for folks who didn't reserve a specific spot as well.

X2 Loved Blue lagoon island 

If you have never been there, there are lots of things to do and see and look around to take as much or as less time as you want.

Been there close to a dozen times....and I still get off and roam around.....restaurants, beaches, bars, shopping...all within 10 mins or less of the dock......

I guess its more about what you would like to do or normally do when in a new port?

• 4 weeks later...

Does RC typically sell Blue Lagoon excursions onboard and do they sell out frequently? We would like to play it by ear with Nassau (have been there several times). 

We will have a pretty significant amount of OBC to burn so I'd prefer to do that as opposed to a day pass but don't want to pull the trigger on an excursion until last minute. (looking at you, February weather) 

On 12/11/2020 at 4:33 PM, MKMAJ1 said:

Does RC typically sell Blue Lagoon excursions onboard and do they sell out frequently? We would like to play it by ear with Nassau (have been there several times). 

We will have a pretty significant amount of OBC to burn so I'd prefer to do that as opposed to a day pass but don't want to pull the trigger on an excursion until last minute. (looking at you, February weather) 

You can usually cancel those up to a certain time and get your money back I believe......

It wouldn't be the weather to be concerned about......it would be Covid at this point as to whether or not you make it Nassau on a cruise in Feb!

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

You can usually cancel those up to a certain time and get your money back I believe......

It wouldn't be the weather to be concerned about......it would be Covid at this point as to whether or not you make it Nassau on a cruise in Feb!

Sorry, I should have specified February 2022. We moved it back a year because of Covid.

• 3 weeks later...

The first time i got off and got a tour from Simply Dave and he was awesome! We took a tour of the island and got to see a few tourist areas like Atlantis and Queens Staircase and some other fun areas. He also took us to a little market and a tea shop (mainly to get us to spend money with friends and family of his). Near the end of the tour we asked him if he could take us to a true local restaurant or food market. He said absolutely and took the 5 of us about 25 min from port with zero tourists around to a friends restaurant that he called to open it up early. This may sound like not the safest or maybe odd but if you got the vibe and saw the interaction he had with others on the island we had no worries. The restaurant was in line with a few others right on a beach looking at our ship from far away and had really good food and had some local beer we could have. Normally all the restaurants do not open until the ships are about to leave and all the locals are done with work and that's when they all open and the party begins is what the locals were telling us. They were awesome and it was nice to see a little more of the real side of the island rather then the tourist area. After this visit I've only gotten off the ship one other time with my brother who hasn't been here yet, but other than that its not something that excites me to go off the ship I tend to like the quite ship on that day!