Covid Vaccine 90% Effective!

31 minutes ago, FManke said:

Let's hope this news is true from Pfizer that their Covid vaccine is 90% effective and might me available as early as the end of the month. 

Verbatim, Phizer stated that " its coronavirus vaccine suggests the shots may be a surprisingly robust 90% effective at preventing COVID-19." And Pfizer went on to state that, "no one knows how long the vaccine's protection might last".  This isn't a "slam dunk" people. In additional, this is ONLY the preliminary results of the FIRST SHOT. Pfizer's vaccine is a TWO-DOSAGE vaccine. As the study continues, the final vaccine efficacy percentage may vary.

6 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Verbatim, Phizer stated that " its coronavirus vaccine suggests the shots may be a surprisingly robust 90% effective at preventing COVID-19." And Pfizer went on to state that, "no one knows how long the vaccine's protection might last".  This isn't a "slam dunk" people. In additional, this is ONLY the preliminary results of the FIRST SHOT. Pfizer's vaccine is a TWO-DOSAGE vaccine. As the study continues, the final vaccine efficacy percentage may vary.

It might not be the end all and be all, but it is the best news we've heard so far. 

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

It might not be a slam dunk (it could still be), but it's definitely points on the board. In all likelihood, it is higher than 90% effacious and we were given a lower limit due to the power of the analysis at n=94 cases. It is possible that out of all of those cases, none were in the group that received the vaccine and the correct read-out would still be "greater than 90%" and not the "apparent 100%" that you might think.

What is standing out to me is that 94 is  much higher than the original 32 that we were told would be the benchmark for the first interim analysis. When I researched why that was the case, I read that Pfizer was negotiating with the FDA about moving the number to 64 but by the time the negotiation was finished they ended up with 94 cases. Changing a study's design like that is concerning, so I would expect to hear more details about that soon. It would be interesting if the FDA wanted to move the case count higher to lend more credibility to the analysis in the face of so much political pressure... That would be preferable to the alternative, which could indicate a systemic flaw in the trial design.

Also editing to address the comment that this is the efficacy of the first shot: it's not. Pfizer's efficacy clock starts one week after the second shot is administered. Meaning anyone who enrolled in the trial, and caught COVID before the second shot would not be included in this data-set. They also wouldn't be included if they caught it within 7 days of the second shot.

38 minutes ago, Ray said:

Not if it was DT who was working out the % ????

DT said the Covid talk would go away after Nov 4th.....he's been right...I haven't see much at all about Covid deaths and cases in the US since, even though its record setting and will continue to be I am sure with all the celebrations for Biden that the news wont criticize or call super spreader events....?

As for a vaccine..I'll take any news  we can get  that gives us any hope or good news!!!...this seems the most promising so far out of all of them....Here in Canada, our prime minister is hopeful that first quarter of 2021 we will have vaccines rolling out...at least in limited #'s.

20 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

DT said the Covid talk would go away after Nov 4th.....he's been right...I haven't see much at all about Covid deaths and cases in the US since, even though its record setting and will continue to be I am sure with all the celebrations for Biden that the news wont criticize or call super spreader events....?

Not just the celebrations! All those protesting as well but we wont get into that lol 

20 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

As for a vaccine..I'll take any news  we can get  that gives us any hope or good news!!!...this seems the most promising so far out of all of them....Here in Canada, our prime minister is hopeful that first quarter of 2021 we will have vaccines rolling out...at least in limited #'s.

Yeah same in UK, looks as though we have to ride out the storm of the 2nd wave and hope its available before a 3rd hits 

29 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Really, they've literally been talking about how cases are setting records each day, and every day a new town is announcing new strict protocols. So no, trump wasn't right. And we are too busy criticizing the genius Trump team for booking the 4 Seasons yard care instead of the hotel to hold their press conference.

Not sure what channels you have down there..we only have MSNBC, FOX, NBC, CBS, CNN, HLN, ABC, CBC, CTV....and I haven't seen those diagrams on the screens on any of them that count the cases and deaths like they were before....but I can only speak of what I see on my tv, not yours. 

The four seasons yard care...nothing to do with Covid or cruising so I wont even go there,  that's just a political dig at Trump...

13 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Not sure what channels you have down there..we only have MSNBC, FOX, NBC, CBS, CNN, HLN, ABC, CBC, CTV....and I haven't seen those diagrams on the screens on any of them that count the cases and deaths like they were before....but I can only speak of what I see on my tv, not yours. 

The four seasons yard care...nothing to do with Covid or cruising so I wont even go there,  that's just a political dig at Trump...

I have every channel, including all local channels because I jailbroke my firestick. I live in Denver, and our Governor literally just mandated us to cancel plans, and you can't even have people over. Trust me, they still cover Covid.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

45 minutes ago, Ray said:

Not just the celebrations! All those protesting as well but we wont get into that lol 

At risk of getting off topic but I really don't care - as someone who attended multiple protests and spoke to many people in major cities who witnessed first-hand Biden celebrations, I can assure you the vast majority of people at these were masked. 

@monctonguy, NBC Nightly News podcast description (which covers what's discussed on each show) has been including some kind of Covid-related mention just about every day. I get that podcast daily since I don't have regular TV any more, and while I don't listen to every one of them, I do read those quick descriptions. And the Washington Post just today published an article on how the governor of Utah just issued an executive order mandating mask wearing, with a link to his 9-minute Twitter video where he makes that announcement personally. The New York Times is also continuing to publish daily stories about the virus, such as today's announcement that HUD secretary Ben Carson has now tested positive, that NJ has issued new restrictions on indoor dining, and recommended precautions to take during your family Thanksgiving gathering.

The news is indeed coming out daily, but right now almost all of it is in "print" media. TV news is not going to be the best indicator right now, because of its limited 30-minute format for the local and prime-time broadcasts that most people watch after work. All the major networks want to spend that limited time covering the Biden transition, the Trump campaign's ongoing response to it, and whatever other headlines have been chosen for that night.

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

I most certainly have.

42 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

To me, it's good news as long as those who prefer not to take a vaccine can assume the risk in not doing so when booking.

What the vaccine will hopefully do is eliminate the public health emergency which will hopefully remove restrictions that have been put in place. 

Since it appears that the vaccine will not really be available to the general public until next summer (IF it proves as effective as discussed, and IF they can roll out the somewhat complex distribution plan), people have to stay safe and watch their health, and dream of a cruise perhaps in late 2021 or 2022.

4 hours ago, KWofPerth said:

IF that eventually happens, what likelihood that Royal (and other cruise lines) stipulate that you MUST be vaccinated prior to boarding? 

That is a very good question. If recent surveys are accurate, that could potentially turn away or alienate 47% of their customers. I believe they will continue to follow government policy rather than dictate their own.

19 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I watch the local news and the national news every night .. and they are still talking about covid.. it hasn't gone away after the election.

18 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Actually some of them are reporting COVID news like crossing the 10m mark.  It's a matter of reporting bigger news.  Before some of these news outlets were all CNN - Corona News Networks.  It's all they talked about 24 x 7.  Along comes the election and something else to talk about.  Then along comes a projected win and a battle over democracy itself.  The news that we might not live in a democracy at all, voting doesn't matter and courts appointed largely by one side will decide who is in power.  That's huge news without exaggerating the story for political purposes.  

At any rate the night of the acceptance speech FOX, CNN, ABC and NBC at least did start showing some of their COVID numbers again in between election related topics.  The others may have, I didn't tune to those channels.  However there remains very big news to compete with the pandemic so these media outlets are no longer 24 x 7 Corona News Networks.  

History is in the making.  A hundred years from now the political events that are unfolding will be in history books taught to children.  Few history books in America mention the 1918 flu pandemic and a hundred years from now American history books will largely ignore the worldwide pandemic of 2020.  This is why news outlets have shifted their focus and not dedicating 100% of all airtime to the virus.  

1 hour ago, crisgold52 said:

You could. Just quarantine 14 days and work remotely. That's the biggest elephant in the room. There is freedom of movement even in the maritimes.

That's not freedom of movement..if you follow the way your supposed to quarantine, it is virtually impossible for almost anyone to do it properly....so yes, the quarantine severely impacts free movement and travel.

I am sure once the vaccine comes out though things will change..I can see  those who choose NOT to take it will be locked down to allow those of us who have the freedom to move and travel again and cruise!!!.....

Learned some things from our bio-tech lab chemists today...

The Pfizer vaccine has shipping and storage requirements due to stability challenges. Apparently, shipping and storage requirements are...-80 deg C.

The vaccine deteriorates rapidly if not stored at or below that temperature. Not the end of the world obviously, but will certainly present some logistical hurdles.

6 hours ago, Gears said:

The vaccine deteriorates rapidly if not stored at or below [-80 deg C]. Not the end of the world obviously, but will certainly present some logistical hurdles.

Interesting. I had read that this is a completely new type of vaccine, created by wrapping copies of the RNA that makes the virus' spike protein inside a "bubble" of tiny fat molecules. The whole thing is even tinier than the virus.

I guess this kind of man-made vaccine is even more fragile than a killed or weakened virus because it's such a simplistic construct. (purely from a biochemistry POV; to me this stuff is fast approaching the level of sorcery)

16 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

That is a very good question. If recent surveys are accurate, that could potentially turn away or alienate 47% of their customers. I believe they will continue to follow government policy rather than dictate their own.

I suspect (well, speculate really) that my own government, for a period of time (several years, say), will require anyone entering the country to carry certification/proof of vaccination. The outcome would obviously be that anyone wanting to take a cruise would need to be vaccinated.