Update for Australian Cruises

I think it is unfair for repeat test sailings in Australia if the CDC has done them in the US..... we should not repeat the process here...I would like to see the reaction if these draconian measures were applied to Hotels and Airplane travel ...It is unreasonable to think Adults who can make decisions on their own health and welfare need to be restricted from cruising because governments want further rules applied ...I have no problem with covid testing prior to travel and stringent cross infection prevention ...why not start with sample cruises with no ports and work from there

Naturally it is wise to consider what other countries are doing.  The extreme CDC requirements for America are a direct reflection of the American response to the virus in general.  Those same American protocols should not be required in regions that have responded very differently to the virus.

Industry and government public health agencies need to work closely together and adapt as the virus ebbs and flows.  The American shutdown of the cruise industry is directly attributable to the actions of the American people.  We did this to ourselves.  Australians responded very differently to the pandemic and they shouldn't be bound to American style protocols.  

On one end of the spectrum is the American model to restart cruising.  The other end of the spectrum is restarting cruising like there was never a pandemic.  Somewhere in between the two extremes is the right approach for Australia.  

18 hours ago, twangster said:

Naturally it is wise to consider what other countries are doing.  The extreme CDC requirements for America are a direct reflection of the American response to the virus in general.  Those same American protocols should not be required in regions that have responded very differently to the virus.

Industry and government public health agencies need to work closely together and adapt as the virus ebbs and flows.  The American shutdown of the cruise industry is directly attributable to the actions of the American people.  We did this to ourselves.  Australians responded very differently to the pandemic and they shouldn't be bound to American style protocols.  

On one end of the spectrum is the American model to restart cruising.  The other end of the spectrum is restarting cruising like there was never a pandemic.  Somewhere in between the two extremes is the right approach for Australia.  

Yes I agree,

However I do think the Australian government is over protective because of the Ruby Princess dramas, also it doesn't help when you have a lot negative nancys when it comes to cruising.

I must say too on a side note I get really pissy when I hear folks saying cruising won't happen till the year 3000AD, might be because I have a 11 night cruise booked for 23rd of March 2021 hahahahaha!

11 hours ago, Avfrattner said:

Yes I agree,

However I do think the Australian government is over protective because of the Ruby Princess dramas, also it doesn't help when you have a lot negative nancys when it comes to cruising.

I must say too on a side note I get really pissy when I hear folks saying cruising won't happen till the year 3000AD, might be because I have a 11 night cruise booked for 23rd of March 2021 hahahahaha!

People will complain about anything.

It's going to be hard for the government to continue to ban cruising with so little new cases numbers, especially if they are not visiting any foreign ports for now. Just need some strict guidelines around crew quarantine.

Also, New Zealanders are now allowed in to Australia without quarantine, once the reverse is possible maybe the ships can start sailing between the two countries as the next step in a return to normal.

6 hours ago, mattymay said:

Hmmmm, I hope for the "best" when it comes to the whole getting it "right for the future covid19 " stuff!

I will be watching for myself on shiptracker, when or if VOTS comes down to SYD by let's say mid FEB 21.

If not...heaps craphouse for me!