Key West Voters Approve Ban on Large Cruise Ships

Oh, it's real ...... the article reveals the complexity and the politics of legislative action.

What is a head scratcher for me is that the Key West "community" that had concerns about cruise ships damaging Key West's ecosystem (reefs) were the group behind the local legislation that banned large cruise ships. I've not seen anything in print that supports that allegation. 

I also saw some malarky that asserted cruise ship passengers account for only 7% of tourist revenue in Key West, IOW, we don't need them. I can't imagine that to be accurate knowing that thousands of cruise passengers ply the streets of Key West buying stuff, dining and drinking there most days of the year. I doubt the business community that recognizes the economic impact of that spending were given much of a voice in whatever debate was had on it.   

I'd argue that this local legislation banning big cruise ships is a perfect example of a small vocal minority overrunning the larger community's economic interests. There had to be some middle ground here but that rarely gets found in matters like this where the environment flag is waived.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

I'd argue that this local legislation banning big cruise ships is a perfect example of a small vocal minority overrunning the larger community's economic interests. There had to be some middle ground here but that rarely gets found in matters like this where the environment flag is waived.

I think this will also be the case for the small group in Juneau trying to ban cruise ships.

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2021/04/13/activists-want-voters-to-consider-limiting-cruise-ship-access-to-juneau/

• 2 months later...

Approved by Governor.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/01194

Amendment 116138 is the bill submitted by Boyd that was attached as an amendment to bill 1194.

1028444235_ScreenShot2021-06-30at7_38_56AM.thumb.jpg.6ff442b6d9380713703b4b7535bd0c05.jpg

Text of amendment 116138 here:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/1194/Amendment/116138/HTML

1         Senate Amendment to House Amendment (672415) (with title
    2  amendment)
    4         Between lines 4 and 5
    5  insert:
    6         Section 17. Section 311.25, Florida Statutes, is created to
    7  read:
    8         311.25Florida seaports; local ballot initiatives and
    9  referendums.—
   10         (1)With respect to any port that has received or is
   11  eligible to apply for or receive state funding under this
   12  chapter, a local ballot initiative or referendum may not
   13  restrict maritime commerce in such a port, including, but not
   14  limited to, restricting such commerce based on any of the
   15  following:
   16         (a)Vessel type, size, number, or capacity.
   17         (b)Number, origin, nationality, embarkation, or
   18  disembarkation of passengers or crew or their entry into this
   19  state or any local jurisdiction.
   20         (c)Source, type, loading, or unloading of cargo.
   21         (d)Environmental or health records of a particular vessel
   22  or vessel line.
   23         (2)Any local ballot initiative or referendum that is in
   24  conflict with subsection (1) and that was adopted before, on, or
   25  after July 1, 2021, and any local law, charter amendment,
   26  ordinance, resolution, regulation, or policy adopted in such an
   27  initiative or referendum, is prohibited, void, and expressly
   28  preempted to the state.

I read several of the briefs that were submitted to journalists by the primary supporters of the large cruise ship ban from Key West. Not one of them provided any solid science that the Key West reefs, surrounding waters or environment were threatened by large cruise ships. It was all voodoo science foisted on the Key West public who then thought, yeah, this is bad, ban them!

The port and local businesses didn't really get involved until it was too late (their fault). Of course the ban supporters have accused Desantis of paying back a Key West developer who has money in the port for a large contribution he made to the Desantis campaign. Fine. I don't care.

That common sense prevailed over a bunch of environmental loonies is good for Key West and good for the state. There is always compromise paths to walk that take inot account the needs of both interests but environmental extremists are a tough lot to deal with and tend to drag along followers who really don't understand what they are getting into. JMO.

That's not to say that Cruise lines don't  need to be conscious of FL's environmental issues in the barrier reefs and that entire eco-system. I have no doubt that they do care and aren't willing to run afoul of the various regulations, enforced by the USCG designed to portect these sensitive areas. Seaman are a very conscientious lot when it comes to the oceans  - of course the garbage and sewage dumping of a miniscule portion of maritime operators get the news. For every 1000 sailings, there may be one that breaks discharge laws. They get caught and suffer large fines.   

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Leroyr55 said:

Two ships at Key West port today. Azamara and I believe a Crystal cruise ship?

I believe the state over ruled the city and basically ended the law before it could even truly go into effect.  So basically the city was told to kick rocks and there will be cruise ships per usual.  https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/06/30/florida-governor-signs-bill-overrule-key-west-cruise-ship-ban

• 1 year later...
On 11/4/2020 at 3:54 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is my opinion too.  I can take it or leave it.  We have been there a few times and I'm very ok with never seeing it again.

Agree...we were there once as part of a western Caribbean cruise....I had some conch chowder at a bar and bought a hat. Other than that....meh.