Your last cruise memory

ehw51

A year ago today we were in Nassau, it was a gorgeous day spent touring the rum cake factory, Atlantis, the Queens Staircase and straw market on to John Waitlings Distillery, (free tastes) We wound up at Senors Frog (Grouper strips, fish tacos) Then back on board. We were supposed to be leaving on the 29th on a repeat trip. Oh well, memories of cruises past and planning for our first B2B 10/30/21. 

1 year, 11 days, and 5 hours ago at time of posting, I was lounging on Horseshoe Bay beach. Just enjoying the sun, relatively mild Bermuda weather, and the Dark and Stormy my wife was nice enough to get for me since I was nursing a foot injury. We boarded the ship to return home just a couple of hours later. Had no idea that would be our last cruise until 2022, still missing the Iceland & Greenland sailing that I was supposed to have taken this past August.

July 27, 2019 leaving the beautiful Port  of Miami on Symphony.
C4E0AEE3-A06D-42AD-AD9A-268594498F50.thumb.jpeg.169d92e122ca3135c5283923c034536d.jpeg

I never would have imagined that sail away would be my last one for almost a year and a half now.  The saddest part is that I don’t know even know when the dry dock ends. ?

However, with all the losses 2020 has brought, it has brought us many hidden blessings as well. It is important to fix our eyes on the little things in life.

So many favorable cruise memories....hard to pick out a favorite. I would have to say my favorite cruise memory was when we first boarded the Navigator of The Seas in 2006 (our first cruise) and were greeted by very friendly staff dancing and welcoming us on board. I can remember the ambiance and fragrance of subsequent cruises, miss it all so much. ?

Last cruise memory was being back in the Western and seeing how much Cozumel had expanded since our first visit. It was also the first cruise where we opted to stay on board while in a port and I really enjoyed the day of chill relaxation. Got to get in the main pool and sun bathe and eat without elbowing people for space.

But...my favorite memory and the thing that makes me miss cruising so much is still from the first cruise we ever took back in 2015. I still get chills thinking about every part of it.

My favorite story to tell about it is on boarding. We went through Security and all that jazz, which is, obviously, in a brick and mortar building. As we followed the arrows marked boarding, I saw out the window of the pathway this large, mostly glass building and I thought to myself, "wow what a pretty hotel. We must have to pass through it to get to the ship on the other side." ( i thought it was maybe a staff hotel or a Royal Caribbean owned hotel that people could book before their trip)

Lo and behold...that WAS the ship. It took me quite a few minutes - even after being on board - to realize that and I was floored with how HUGE it was. And mind you, I had spent the months leading up to it watching several full walk-throughs and still it was not enough to prepare me for the size of a Freedom Class. (I think i might have literally had my jaw hit the floor if we did our first trip on Oasis...O.O )

Now, every time we board, I get real close to the glass to see the logo or ship name, just to confirm to myself that this beautiful building is indeed our ship.

Last cruise was Dec 2019 with DH on Adventure.  First time in a JS.  First time with the drink package.

Amazing cruise...relaxed and could get a drink when we wanted, etc.  Just enjoyed the ocean and atmosphere.  Also, the shows at night were tons of fun.  Met another couple at Boleros and met up another night which was really nice too.

But...I also love our cruises as a family.  Navigator was Aug of 2019 and Symphony Mar of 2019 (my favorite ship!).  Sadly it was on Symphony when we told our kids of all our planned cruises on our last night in the MDR (as we always kept them a secret until closer to the date)....but now, we've lost 3 of those.

Our favorite cruise to date was our Alaska cruise on the Radiance.  Hubby had just had a heart attack and stint 27 days prior to our cruise.  Thankfully, we did good and the doctor said that a cruise would be restful and gave us this blessing.  He said no fly for 4 weeks and we missed that by 1 day so the doctor said he could fly.  To make this cruise even more memorable, we were schedule to go with two other couples (one from Grand Rapids and the other from Houston).  Long story short, the husband of the Grand Rapids had a heart attack two weeks after my hubby and he had to have open heart surgery so they had to cancel.  The other couple from Houston, the wife blow her Achilles tendon and had surgery.  But she came with a scooter and did great. 

We did a humpback whale excursion but instead of humpbacks, we saw lots of Orcas. 

Orcas.jpg

September 21, 2019.. Saying goodbye to all the lifelong friends we made on our journey.. As the crowd got smaller at the Riding Tide bar Our group became tighter.. It was hard to stop those invisible onion cutting ninjas..  It feels like when your parents came and picked you up from summer camp  as kids lol 

Through sites like this and other social media you get to know your "cruise friends" in advance and some become friends in real life although we're scattered all over the globe..   At least we can skype and use FB Messenger to keep in touch..  Hell I speak with a few of our friends at least twice a month.. 

It's been 1 year, 8 months since my last cruise on Adventure. My favorite day was in Cozumel, when our long-planned for excursion got cancelled last minute and I convinced my claustrophobic sister to go on the submarine with me, followed by a super fun lunch at Senor Frog's. We ended up having the best time, just being spontaneous - usually very difficult for two Type-A planners!

IMG-2111.jpg

My last cruise was on the Bliss...7 nights to Florida and Bahamas from NYC...and it was very stressful. It started with PPE wearing medical personnel taking our temperature in the terminal. It ended on March 15th...the day the cruise lines decided to self-stop. It was a rough week with all the bad news coming in. The ship had their infection protocols in place. These were the Norovirus precautions...no self serve at the buffet...constant deep cleaning...more hand sanitizers...multiple announcements about hand cleaning, etc.  Because international travel was about to be shut down, we were delayed leaving Nassau as buses had to take many of our passengers to the airport so they could fly back to their countries. Some U.S. passengers decided not to risk being stuck aboard ship in the event of an outbreak and decided to leave and fly back to New York. More ships were being affected and languishing at sea because no country wanted to let them in. We were so worried about being quarantined at sea. Finally, we arrived back in NY. Upon disembarking, we had to go through a gauntlet of medical personnel taking our temperatures and visually examining us for any signs of sickness. To be honest...I had never been so glad to get off a cruise ship!

I was also on the Anthem for an 11 night cruise which ended in Bayonne on Feb 7th. That was the cruise where we had a party from China who showed signs of infection. We had to wait to disembark until they were taken off by health officials and examined in the terminal. Finally, we got off and ignored all the news people trying to get their negative news sound bites. The ship was delayed leaving on it’s next cruise so it could be deep cleaned.

In between these two cruises, I was on the Anthem for a back to back to Florida/Bahamas which departed Bayonne Feb 15 through March 1. After the scare on the previous cruise, I still thought it was being exaggerated in the press and had no reason to be concerned. It was a typical cruise...excellent! Everything was as usual...perfect. 

I hope everyone stays healthy and makes it through this pandemic. I wish all the crew members who take such good care of us aboard ship are doing well and I can’t wait to see them all again. Bottom line....I can’t wait to get back to cruising!

Our last cruise was early February of this year, had another in May, that of course got canceled, our February cruise was out of San Juan which was our third cruise out of San Juan and has became our favorite place to cruise from for many reason, the city is beautiful and people are friendly, we found a private owned hotel that is reasonable and treat you like gold, even use the same cab driver, plus we enjoy the islands that they stop at out of San Juan. Saint Luca and Barbados has become a couple of our favorite stops, the only down side is connections flying back to Cincinnati, no non stops, but I remember being at airport having a last lunch together as four different couples hugged and said good bye as we all had different airlines, we have rebooked for June this year, keeping fingers crossed for all the cruises friends.

Our last cruise was Feb 7 when we took my MIL on her first cruise for her birthday.  She had a couple hard years (FIL passed away, couldn't get her house sold, moving), and we really wanted this trip to be special for her. The crew really went above and beyond to make her birthday special, but my favorite memory is of her and the kids playing in the pool at Paradise Beach in Cozumel

image.png.be398b13d335e769ddbed732fdafb910.png

On second thought, it may be when the kids and I went to the bird aviary in Costa Maya, and came back to DH and my MIL waiting for us at Cantina Latina.  

image.thumb.png.d21e219fd39e8db70c89899f554a83f4.png

1 hour ago, ericfromripp said:

i just joined yesterday can you send me a link as to how the levels on here work. it is pretty silly and should be based on how much sailing on royal you do and not how many posts you have   thanks   

This site is run by fans of Royal, not the company. There is no way for the admins to know how many sailings you have actually been on. They set it up so that at a certain number of posts, you grow in level which are named after the C&A statuses.